Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
New goat and have questions EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
New goat and have questions EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
New goat and have questions EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
New goat and have questions EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
New goat and have questions EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
New goat and have questions EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
New goat and have questions EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
New goat and have questions EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
New goat and have questions EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

New goat and have questions

2 posters

Go down

New goat and have questions Empty New goat and have questions

Post by amybyrd21 Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 am

One of my neighbors that I do not hear from very much called me this afternoon and asked us if we wanted a goat. I went and got her. She was given to them because she will not take care of her baby. Her milk bags were about to bust. We milked her but she turned it over. The few questions are When is the milk drinkable? She had her baby two days ago. Will she always not take care of babies? How often do I need to milk her so she doesnt have problems?

She is a short eared goat mostly white with a little tan on her head. I do not think she is a milk goat per say. I think she is part boer. Does this matter as far as use of the milk goes. Can we drink it and use it or do I need to feed it to the livestock? How long will she produce milk before drying up? I have owned goats before just mever any that we have had to milk.

How often do you mil a goat. once or twice a day!
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

New goat and have questions Empty Re: New goat and have questions

Post by Sonshine Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 am

Hi,
I don't know much about full sized goats, but any goat can be milked. The only difference between dairy goats and meat goats is the dairy will usually give more milk. Do you have any other goats? Goats are herd animals and need another goat to keep them from being too lonely. I've heard of some people who will get a mule as a companion for their goat. How old is she? If she's a new, first time mother, she may just be too immature to be a good mom yet. We waited for 10 days before drinking the milk to make sure all the colustrum was out of it. I'd try it after about a week. If it tastes off, give it a few days and taste it again. I'm not sure how long she will be in milk. I think that is dependent on the breed she is. Our nigerian dwarves can be milked for 10 months.

We milk our goats twice a day, about every 12 hours seems to work well.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:58 am

I do not know how old she reall is but she is a young goat. She is use to being around other goats but has taken up with my kids. She calls for them. She is worse than the dogs about wanting them to play. She will not eat treats like our other goats we have had in the past.

Hubby said he thinks because it was her first baby she wasnt given time to get the hang of things. Hubby worked with ours before on thier first babies. We were thinking about getting another goat for her to be with. We do not know if we will breed her or not right now. I took her to stop her from being abused. They told me she was wild but she is a big pet. They were not treating nor feeding her right. They were trying to feed her dog food.

Since we got her she has calmed down and not given any problems. She will let us milk her even though we are not set up for that. Bekka holds her lead. Wesley feeds her and I milk her. We will have to set up a milking stall for her and I think she will do better. She doesnt give us any problems milking her she stands there but if we take to long we have to take a break or she gets upset a little bit. I figure she will work thru that and I will get better milking her. This is the first time I have ever milked anything in my life.

Wesley is looking foward to making goat cheese. Cheve I think it is called. I read that it takes milk, lemon juice, cheese cloth ad a candy themometer. He loves that stuff when I buy it so I think he will like it when we make it at home.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:06 am

New goat and have questions 008-7 This is Pumpkin. She is right beside her rose bush she destroyed today. She is by the back porch and she calmed down. When we put her out of sight of the house she kept calling for us. We are hoping she will do better in a few days when she gets use to everyone. She really doesnt like the Pyrennese. He is protecting her but she hates him. The Pom dog is scared of her so she is not worried.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:41 pm

Goats really need another herd animal with them. I'm glad you got her, but I would highly recommend getting one more for her to keep her company. As for making cheese, you can make all kinds of cheese with goat milk. The only one we have made so far is the 30 mozzerella, but it was delicious. We have a book that teaches how to make different types. Once the harvest is done with we're planning on making some cheddar and some montery jack.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down