Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  recipes  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

5 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:12 am

I just put in an order with GardensAlive.com for a dwarf Romeo cherry tree, a dwarf Meyer lemon, a dwarf Key lime and some fertilizer for the raspberries and for strawberries. I also ordered some seeds for cutting celery and some sweet corn. They had a coupon for $25 off any order of $50 or more.

I also ordered 40 "Whopper" strawberry plants from Gurney's for $20. I have an old blue plastic barrel that I'm planning to cut/heat to make pockets in the sides and turn into a strawberry container. They claim the berries grow four times the size of regular berries with 85 percent growing to 3" in diameter or larger and they are supposed to be sweet and juicy. It's some variety from Holland and they offer a one year money back guarantee so I figured why not try them. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 6 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by Farmfresh Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:28 am

Kid and I are building a strawberry box around one of the stumps in the backyard this year. I figure it will be a good way to hasten the stump rotting and give us a grow spot at the same time.

I bought some strawberries the other day at Walmart, I can't remember what kind they are. I will be ordering some more as well. HoneyO is my favorite type. Not huge but delicious.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:43 am

Sounds like a good plan for stump removal. How big is the stump? Can you drill holes in it and cover it with dirt to plant on top of? The holes would act as water reservoirs.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:52 am

It is about 3 feet in diameter and 24 inches tall. It is a pretty soft wood and has been there for about two years so I am pretty sure that it won't even need any holes. It is just one of the 9 big stumps in my backyard. I could pay someone to grind them, but patience is cheaper. Laughing

The plan is to build a box about 4 foot square and tall enough to cover the stump with about 6 to 8 inches of soil. I am planning on filling the bottom part with partially composted horse manure and top it with some compost for the berries. That should allow plenty of nitrogen to eat the stump and keep it good and moist. It already has some fungal decomposition in place so it should have that little box blooming with good root fungi.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:14 am

Get some fresh chicken manure for the nitrogen, that will really heat it up quickly.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:48 am

Might be okay around the bottom of the stump, but I don't want to burn the strawberries either.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:44 am

That probably would happen
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:31 pm

Last week when I was at Menards they were selling used burlap coffee sacks but I resisted the urge to buy some even though they were asking $.99 each. Well, tonight I decided I wanted 6 of them to try as a modified raised bed garden. My plan is to buy several bales of straw and put the coffee sacks on top of the bales. Then I'm going to use some landscaping fabric inside the burlap coffee sacks to contain my potting mix. I should be able to maintain these raised planters easier with less back pain.

I'm thinking of doing one or two as herbs, two or three for potatoes and the rest as veggies. I know I'll probably have to water more often because they'll likely dry out quicker. I'm hoping the straw bales will retain some of the moisture as well as serving as raised beds.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Sounds interesting. How big are these bags?

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:10 am

I'll have to measure one of them but they are around the size of a large bag of dog food.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:36 am

I got outside this afternoon and worked on clearing and preparing the garden for year's growing season. I got 3 beds ready and my ds helped me move my arch trellis to where I plan to plant my sugar snap peas this year. I'm going out to plant after I rest a bit. I think I may direct seed some cabbages as well.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:47 am

I'm planning to reconfigure some of my raised beds in the garden this year and once we move the woodsplitter into the garage, I'll be adding a couple of new beds. I need to get my seeds started this weekend for my tomatoes, peppers, cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, and a few other things.

The weather has decided to turn cold with a chance of snow again so I'm limited to what I can do in the garden yet. I really need to get the fruit trees trimmed and sprayed before they break bud and the asparagus patch weeded and mulched before they start coming up. I also need to dig out the blackberries that refuse to fruit and weed/mulch the raspberry patch. I have strawberry plants coming and need to get the plastic barrel converted into a grow tub for them.

I picked up some used burlap coffee sacks that I plan to line with landscape fabric and plant my potatoes in them this year. I'm going to raise them off the ground by using bales of straw under them and hopefully it will help with moisture retention. I have several half whiskey barrel planters that I bought last year that will get filled and used for herbs.

My chives, garlic chives and walking onions are all coming up in the containers. My goal is to try and get more things to grow in containers closer to the house so I have less weeding to do. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 am

The less weeding the better, I always say.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:20 am

You got that right especially since I have an open field and a farm field behind my property. Lots of birds dropping all kinds of seeds. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:25 am

Well, my 40 Whopper strawberry crowns have arrived and I don't have the barrel planter ready for them. I will have to get it completed on Monday and get them planted ASAP!
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 am

Well, the strawberries are not planted yet but I did open them and wrap them in damp paper towels. My bleeding hearts and flowering ferns that I ordered came in the mail today, those are sitting in the packages and hopefully I can get everything planted tomorrow after I get back from the doctor and pharmacy.

I've decided to just plant 20 strawberry plants in each of 2 half whiskey barrel planters instead of rushing to turn that plastic barrel into a grow tower.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:03 am

Well, I got out ahead of the rain this morning and planted my flowering ferns, bleeding hearts and made up the 2 planters of strawberries. Everything should get a good drink of water with the storms they are calling for today and tomorrow.

I have a bunch of little cabbage seedlings growing well under my grow light and my tomatoes are starting to pop up as well. I'll be starting my broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, leeks, celery and a few other things this afternoon.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:47 pm

I got out and cleaned up the big raised bed at the back fence line and weeded the raspberry patch this morning. I still have a ton to do out there along the back fence (inside and out) plus the side fence area needs cutting down of spent plants and the blackberry canes dug up and burned.

I never got my trees pruned but I need to take a couple limbs out of the big apple tree, they are hanging way too low to walk/mow around comfortably.

I'm hurting pretty good and the weather certainly isn't helping matters any. They are predicting severe thunderstorms for today and possibly hail and tornadoes. I have done as much as I physically can today.

Some of my asparagus is coming up already and my rhubarb is as well. The strawberry crowns I planted yesterday have perked up nicely with the rain we got yesterday.

Last edited by PATRICE IN IL on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:12 am

So after my pain medication kicked I decided to head back outside to trim down my rose bushes. I may have lost 2 or 3 of them, but I left them in for now to see if they come back.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 am

This goofy weather can't make up it's mind today, rain one minute then clears up, then rain again and now the sky is clearing and getting sunny. Of course that's AFTER I just put everything outside away for the fourth time today.

Right before the last down pour I trimmed several low hanging branches from 2 of my larger apple trees and started clearing more off the back fence line. I'm done, I need a nap now.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:20 am

A nap sounds good.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 am

It was good but boy did I over do it today. Sad I hurt very badly and am barely moving now.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:36 am

PATRICE IN IL wrote:It was good but boy did I over do it today. Sad I hurt very badly and am barely moving now.

We never learn do we? I am just starting to get back in the groove and now you are down with Spring-itis.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am

No, we don't learn. Wink I've got a full blown case of Spring-itis!
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6