Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

+5
mountainmama
Rohn
PATRICE IN IL
12acrehome
kerrig
9 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 Empty Re: Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 22, 2014 2:34 am

My house is the same way, I've got to get a jump on cooling it or we'll just wither away in the heat/humidity.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 4 Empty Re: Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

Post by kerrig Thu May 22, 2014 5:20 am

Well the farmer contacted my dad and he can't plow for us. He's hurt his arm and can't hook up his plow. But dad said I could borrow his tiller. Again, it's supposed to rain today and tomorrow so I don't know when I'm going to get to plant anything. This is so frustrating.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 22, 2014 8:14 am

I'm sorry kerrig, you'll get your garden in, it's still early. Wink Can you do some container gardening?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 am

I did start some today. I have potatoes in tires, dill, chives & garlic in concrete block holes, lavender, lettuce, and sweet basil in planters.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu May 22, 2014 11:06 am

See, baby steps will get your garden in without all kinds of stress. Wink Even if you can't till, you can still plant and reap your rewards.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri May 23, 2014 12:18 am

Very true. Smile
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri May 23, 2014 3:21 am

I'm so thrilled. I got the big section of my garden tilled up. My dad let me borrow his tiller. I'm going to let it lie and then tomorrow rake up the grass in it and hopefully plant on Saturday.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 23, 2014 5:04 am

That's great kerrig! Things are coming together nicely for you. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri May 23, 2014 5:32 am

Yes they are. We leave a week from tomorrow to go to Virginia to our daughter's and I wanted to have it planted before we leave. I'm considering doing more container gardening along with our big garden. That way all of our yard isn't taken up by garden. Joe doesn't want it all in garden. I don't know why because it would save on the mowing.
I'm really fascinated by the Dervaes Family who do urban gardening, grow enough for their family of four & to sell to restaurants. I know they didn't grow to where they're at overnight and it took a lot of hard work. My biggest problem is the money to invest to do raised beds, containers and mulch.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Fri May 23, 2014 8:04 am

All of those things can be "sourced".  Keep your eye on Craigslist.  Often you will find lumber, barrels and other items that can be made into containers or raised beds, either free for the taking or at low cost.  Leaves make a wonderful mulch and also something you can usually find for free.  Lawn clippings also work well, but I usually prefer to compost them for a while before using them. 

I try to never reach for my wallet when I can use my imagination instead!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 23, 2014 11:37 am

Great tips FF! Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:23 am

We have jumped in and taken the challenge. 3 months of not shopping at big box stores such as Jays, Walmart, even Ruler. We are allowing ourselves to shop with the Amish and Mennonites as we will still need things like milk, cheese, butter. Living in town I haven't been able to provide those things for us.
We are also using what we have here at home in the freezers, pantry and garden.
I've spent today making English muffins, Whole Wheat Tortillas & Rye bread for the next few days. Joe eats an English muffin every morning with a sausage patty & egg on it. English muffins are the easiest thing I have ever made. And the recipe makes 18 and a loaf of bread.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:55 am

Good job Kerrig! Keep us updated on your progress Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:40 am

EXCELLENT!!! Way to go Kerrig!!
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:31 am

cheers   Great job!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:33 am

Right now, we're working on eating everything in the freezer. Some stuff, I have no choice but to get from the big stores. It's basically all we have around here.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:53 am

That is great! It is surprising what a person can do without if they put forth an honest effort.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks. I will keep you all updated. If you don't have a way don't feel bad. Many are in that same situation.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4