Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

+5
mountainmama
Rohn
PATRICE IN IL
12acrehome
kerrig
9 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:16 am

Well the menu planning is still in progress. It's slow going let me tell you. Between what Joe won't eat & my son it's not much fun.
I am determined, though, to do this and to see if it works.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?) - Page 2 Empty Re: Frugal Tips (Could someone sticky this?)

Post by 12acrehome Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:26 am

it will work, but it takes a bit of effort, hang in there
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:43 am

Ok, here is our menu for the month of August. Remember that I have to use a lot of beef or venison.
Tator tot casserole
Mexican meatloaf
Honey chicken
Chili casserole
Hamburger pie with biscuits
Stovetop stew
German ravioli
Company potato casserole
Hashbron quiche
Cheese potato & smoked sausage casserole
Sweet pepper venison stirfry
Meatball calzones
Sloppy joes/spicy potato wedges
Sweet and tender cabbage rolls
Beef nacho casserole
Pensey supper
Meatloaf, potatoes, carrots
Chicken tenders
Hashbrown casserole
Fish, mac-n-cheese, onion patties
Ham, beans, cornbread
Maidrite
Spaghetti, garlic bread
Homemade pizza
Sausage skillet meal
Waffles
Broccoli cheese soup
Potato soup
Chili
Cheeseburgers
Beef-n-noodles

To make and freeze: Noodles, bread/dinner rolls, waffles, biscuits, pizza pockets, ham/cheese pockets, burritos
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 am

Ok, a great entree list, but I don't see veggies listed.

For instance, near the top you list Honey chicken. How about adding rice and green beans as a couple side dishes, and perhaps iced tea to drink. This would give a more complete menu listing that you can build a shopping list from.

Just a suggestion.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:57 am

Oh there will be side dishes, these are just the main things.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:55 am

That's a good looking menu kerrig. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you. Smile
Something we probably all do but it's a reminder for those who might not know to, is to wash & dry your ziploc bags. I wash mine wrong side out & then put them over something tall to let them dry.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 am

I save glass and plastic jars to use when taking soup/leftovers to my b-i-l. I don't have to worry about the lids coming off during transport or even about getting my containers back. Wink If I don't want them back he recycles them.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

I re-use zip lock bags until the zipper part quits working
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Joe takes his tea in pint jars with the lid on. We also use pint jars to drink out of around here. Smile
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:51 pm

kerrig wrote:Thank you.  Smile
Something we probably all do but it's a reminder for those who might not know to, is to wash & dry your ziploc bags.  I wash mine wrong side out & then put them over something tall to let them dry.

Are you talking about when they are new, or to reuse them? I wash and reuse them, but I have never washed them before the first use. Should I?
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Good ideas Chad. I like them, thanks.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:19 pm

No, not new ones. I meant to reuse them.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:16 pm

those are pretty clever Harvey
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:47 am

12acrehome wrote:those are pretty clever Harvey

I wish I could take credit, but I can't. I can't remember where I fist saw them. The photos I linked are not mine either, I just found them on Bing. LOL! But I have done this and it works great. They make the best feed scoops!
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm

I save old prescription medicine bottles to store sewing machine needles. The needles may be too dull for the machine, but they make perfect "nails" to hang pictures and other things. They leave a much smaller hole in the wall, too.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:15 pm

I save those 20 oz size soda bottles especially the clear ones.

I take a small heated nail and melt several ventilation holes around the bottle.
Next I take a couple of zip ties and make a large loop out of the first one then with the second one attach it to the top of the pop bottle to make a hanging loop.

These finished bottles are outstanding for storing nails, screws and fencing staples! When I buy a box of nails I write the description on the bottle with a sharpie marker. That way when I start to run out I know just what to buy! It may take a few minutes to put the nails in the bottle, but it is well worth it. The bottles are easy to hang over a nail, the contents is easy to see, you can toss one in a tool bag with no fear of breakage and they dispense the nails a few at a time with a simple shake.

This is a frugal tip because not only am I recycling a bottle, I also keep my nails where I can find them when I need them. Being organized in the tool room saves me money when I don't have to run to the hardware store before a project.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:44 pm

Very clever FF!
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Every year I buy containers for Christmas cookies/candies. This year I got smart and asked friends who buy the pretzel rods in the clear containers from Aldi to save the containers for me. I'll remove the labels, add scrapbook paper to the inside/lid, add my packaged goodies and save myself about $20.

My tip is ask around for containers, people might be willing to save them for you.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 pm

My favorite container to save is a 32 oz Gatorade bottle. I use them as my tea/water jugs around the house, since they are easy to thoroughly wash with a bottle brush. I also use them constantly for storage.

I have my Gatorade bottles full of dog treats (my huge service dog likes the tiny biscuits! Laughing ) In addition those bottles are now storing my Cream of Rice, GF Bisquick mix, pop corn, and many, many of my dehydrated veggies. They are clear to see the contents, air and water proof, cheap enough to label with a sharpie marker, very durable, a great storage size and easy to get really clean. What more could you ask in a dry storage container?
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:21 pm

All may not know this tip but Dawn dishsoap is wonderful for getting out stains. My daughter posted about using it with hot water to soak Lainey's clothes in. Her g-tube leaks and stains them up pretty bad but the Dawn takes even those stains out. For those who don't know, the g-tube leaks out the stomach acid from Lainey so that would definitely stain clothing.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:35 pm

PATRICE IN IL wrote:Every year I buy containers for Christmas cookies/candies. This year I got smart and asked friends who buy the pretzel rods in the clear containers from Aldi  to save the containers for me. I'll remove the labels, add scrapbook paper to the inside/lid, add my packaged goodies and save myself about $20.

My tip is ask around for containers, people might be willing to save them for you.
I am container junkie. I can't walk by one at the flea market without buying it. I have dozons of them.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

Back to top Go down

Post by kerrig Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:51 pm

We are trying to cut back on the amount of meat that we eat. One way to do this is to use only a little in casseroles or things like hamburger helper that flavor the dish but you don't get quite as much meat in it.
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Good tip kerrig, we do alot of casserole here too. Another way to stretch your meat is in soups, a little adds big flavor and everyone gets filled up from the veggies. Actually to stretch your grocery dollars start your meals with soup/salad to fill you up partially, then you won't want a full serving of meat/starchy sides.

With gardening season in full bloom Wink, my tip is for preserving fruit. When prepping fruit to can, I save any small extra amounts in a freezer bag and pop it into the freezer to use when I have enough to make another batch.

Berries can be washed, dried and frozen on a sheet pan for individual berries that could also be used in smoothies or yogurt parfaits.

If I don't have enough of a single fruit when making jam/jelly, I mix my leftover bags to make a mixed fruit jam/jelly. It tastes good mixed in oatmeal, over ice cream or on warm biscuits.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum