Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
tending to hunting grounds EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
tending to hunting grounds EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
tending to hunting grounds EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
tending to hunting grounds EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
tending to hunting grounds EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
tending to hunting grounds EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
tending to hunting grounds EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
tending to hunting grounds EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
tending to hunting grounds EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

tending to hunting grounds

Go down

tending to hunting grounds Empty tending to hunting grounds

Post by 12acrehome Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:49 pm

If you are lucky enough to control a piece of hunting ground let me share one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received. Do not over hunt it. Any area that you intend to hunt should not be hunted so hard that the pressure causes all game to abandon it. So what does that mean?? According to John Darling, in his book "Air Rifle Hunting" "a Large Garden can support one good shoot in a fortnight". Large garden?? Fortnight?? He is European, English I think, and over there a large Garden seems to be about 5 acres. A fortnight is 14 days, or two weeks if you prefer. So that leaves the phrase "a good shoot". Well from a game management point of view, a good shoot would be the daily bag limit of everything that is in season, without removing so many animals that the area is emptied of wildlife. Various game management professionals quote a 20 to 30% harvest annually as a healthy number. 20% of my current rabbit population would be a hind quarter off of one rabbit, 20% of my squirrels is one squirrel. So no hunting here. At least not until after my next wildlife census.

The point of this is more to point out many peoples poor logic. If you think you can hunt enough game within a 10 or 20 acre area to feed a family you are mistaken. The game will leave, and even if they do not the population of game animals could not be sustained long enough to feed four people for more than a couple of weeks. I do believe hunting and trapping will provide some food, but this should not be the primary source of protein for you or your family.

Keith
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down