Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Small Game Hunting EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Small Game Hunting EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Small Game Hunting EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Small Game Hunting EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Small Game Hunting EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Small Game Hunting EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Small Game Hunting EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Small Game Hunting EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Small Game Hunting EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Small Game Hunting

3 posters

Go down

Small Game Hunting Empty Small Game Hunting

Post by 12acrehome Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am

I am probably going to ramble on a bit here, cause this could be a very broad topic.

First and foremost ETHICS; The taking of a life, any life should be done in a manner that shows respect for the act of killing. We use the term hunting, or harvesting game, or making meat, but we do take a life. God gave it life, and then gave us dominion over those creatures so that we would have food. (and beasts of burden) So since this is a gift from God, be certain of a clean kill. My house rules now and growing up were one clean shot, and the animal must not suffer. (Oh yes I can, every time. I pass up alot of shots though)

So for small game I like either a .22LR, or my .32 Flintlock. The exception is of course when jumping rabbits, then I prefer a 20 ga shotgun.

When I just want to really hunt, and maybe bring home one squirrel, or come in empty handed I will take my .22 cal Pellet rifle for a walk in the woods. Works best about mid-season.

I have noticed a trend that kinda bothers me. More and more people, kids and adults ignore all but the firearms season for Deer. It is a shame more people don't hunt the smaller game, nor do they manage hunting ground for smaller game. Many fine people fed their families meat by harvesting the small game in their area. But now it is ignored, and (according to me) people just are not as good at shooting as they should be if they intend to hunt.

I would like to hear your hunting stories, if I get 5 hunting stories here I will tell the tale of why I needed a .54x54 cal Double Rifle (muzzleloader)

Keith
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Small Game Hunting Empty Re: Small Game Hunting

Post by Rohn Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:46 am

Hunting small game is great fun and it is also healthy exercise. I like to take out my old Winchester model 12, 12 gauge small game hunting ( the gun was handed down to me by my father who purchased it when he was 16 years old). I also used to take my .22 revolver on my side. But now I live in OH and the "only one gun at a time for hunting" law prevails.

There is nothing like hearing the beagles sound off as they trail a rabbit. Bringing home meat is great, but even if you do not get to shoot a rabbit, the sounds of the hounds more than pays for the trip and time spent in the field.

Pheasants are also great to hunt with a beagle. I know some have those nice bird dogs and that is great, although I never had one or hunted with one. I have hunted pheasants many times with beagles. I can always tell when a beagle is on a pheasant trail by the way they act. They don't bark like they do on a rabbit and they run in more of a straight and when the do bark, get ready the pheasant is getting ready to become air born.

Grouse is another great bird to hunt. Again I have never hunted them with a dog and because of that probably missed out on some great hunts. But I have hunted them in the thickest of the brush. In fact I have heard them take off and even seen them and not even gotten off a shot because the brush being too thick to get my gun up. Also grouse seem to pick up sped faster pheasants, and they are easy to miss, although, I have killed my share of them. They are my favorite as far as table fare is concerned.

Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:24 am

Thanks Rohn, I'll count that post as two stories.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 am

Sounds good Kieth. I'll post a couple more later when I have more time. Hope someone else posts some.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 am

Me too, this could be a fun diversion area
lol!
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 pm

Well as our local hunting season draws to a close, this years total harvest was two squirrels. Since the squirrel population is a total of five now that was all that could be harvested from my place. The rabbits (population count before season opened was 13) all disappeared about the time we started hearing owls and even the Beagle could not find one. Likewise the deer sacttered two weeks before the season opened on them...they still owe me protein for all the havoc they did to my garden last summer.

Oh well next year we play a new game Wink
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 am

OK, Keith, here is another hunting story:

A few years back when my son was just a young teen we moved to a new place. One of the older guys in the church decided to take us for a ride to show us where we could hunt since we were new to the area.

It was raining a gentle drizzle that day and also a bit foggy. So instead of actually hunting we were just riding around getting familiar with the back roads and hunting lands. The gentleman showing us around pulled his pickup onto some state land where a gate closed off the road that crossed the game land. I looked out the window of the truck past the gate and up the road I saw two ring-necked pheasants. All I had with me at the time was my trusty .22 rifle. My son had his 20 gauge shotgun, but the distance was way to far for a shotgun. I got out of the truck, walked to the gate and using it for a rest took careful aim with my rifle. It was a long shot and fogy but I figured I'd try it anyway. I aimed a bit high and squeezed the trigger. I thought one bird toppled over but in the rain and fog I wasn't sure. When we got to where those birds were there lay the one I had shot and the other one ran off into the weeds with my son after him soon I heard his shot and he came carrying out the second bird. When I dressed out the birds we found that my shot had gone straight through the birds neck! What a lucky shot!
Always after that the old guy that we were with told everybody what a crack shot I was. He just wasn't around to see that most of my shot were misses. Rolling Eyes
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am

good tale Rohn.

Anyone else want to chime in with a tale?
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:14 am

Keith, Here is another hunting story. Hope you enjoy it. If no one else posts after this it is your turn again.

Here is a hunting story that happened about 40 years ago when I was in my early teens.
The place was western Pennsylvania. Our family had just moved to a new area and were just trying to get settled in. One of the ladies in our church told us about seeing turkeys on their farm and invited us to hunt there any time we wanted to.

So when turkey season came my Dad and I made our way out to the old farm. We parked the car down the road from the farm house and headed back through the field to the woods. It was a beautiful fall day and I was really enjoying being in the woods. We had never hunted turkeys before and weren’t sure what we were doing. We didn’t even have a call with us. We just went back in the woods and sat down a little ways apart from each other and watched and waited.

I saw a couple of squirrels but decided not to shoot them since we were supposed to be turkey hunting not squirrel hunting. After an hour or so we decided to walk around a bit more and get used to the lay of the land. We did and it was a beautiful place with lots of woods. We even found a spring bubbling up out of the ground.

Finally it was time to head back to the car and head for home. When we were almost out of the woods and back to the field where we came in, we suddenly saw some white tail deer. There was 4 does and a spike buck and a six point buck. Dad and me stood real still and the deer kept looking at us and they were coming closer and closer. The six point stamped his front foot a few times while looking right at me. He was only about twenty feet away. Suddenly he snorted, reared up with his front feet of the ground and whirling trotted away leading the other deer with him. It was a beautiful sight, one that is a vividly in my mind even to this day.

Well that was the deciding point of where we were going to hunt deer that year. The first day of deer season found me and my dad and my older brother out in that woods well before daylight. My older brother wasn’t hunting and was not carrying a gun, since he lived out of state. He just came along to be with us.
My brother and I stopped off at a place that became our deer stand and it was pretty close to where we had seen those seven deer in turkey season. As the woods began to get lighter and we were able to see better I was watching every tree and bush just wishing for that six point to come out and show himself. Finally the sun was up and we were just sitting there waiting and watching when, suddenly there was a movement and several deer materialized. Made me wonder how they got so close without me seeing them sooner. They were about thirty yards away, but were all does. (This was buck season. Doe season came after two weeks of Buck season.) Even though I couldn’t see any horns my heart was still beating fast, it was so exciting to see deer come so close. This same thing happened on and off throughout the day. We say a lot of does that day but no antlered animals. We built a fire to keep warm by, and ate our lunch. Finally about three in the afternoon my brother looked up from tending our fire and said, “Rohn, there’s a deer, and it’s a buck. “ Sure enough there was a buck. He was about sixty yards away and was just walking along. I pulled up with Dad’s old 30-30 and the deer stepped behind a tree. I waited and when he stepped out on the other side of the tree I squeezed of a round. The deer dropped in his tracks.

He was a nice six point buck. I’m not sure he was the one we saw in turkey season but I sorta think he might have been. A nice deer for a young teenager’s first.
I hunted at that same place for many years after that and took home lots of deer from there. But none of them stick in my memory as well as that first buck.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:00 am

I'm not a hunter so really can't add anything except for the one and only time I went hunting. It was with my ex-husband and he decided to take me squirrel hunting. Now mind you, I grew up a city girl and thought of all animals as pets. We were in the woods and he spotted a squirrel. He raised his rifle to take aim and I started yelling, "run, little squirrel, run" Needless to say, he never took me hunting again. Smile These days I could probably hunt, since I've been butchering chickens we've raised from babies I figure it would probably be easier to hunt for critters I have no personal history with.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 am

Good one Sonshine!!

Rohn, I'll post about the Double barreled muzzleloading rifle (54x54 caliber) in a seperate thread as a lead off for muzzleloaders.

Thanks for being a sport, and the great stories.

Second hand story passed from my parents to me. Dad took mom on a squirrel hunt one time. They had seen a couple, but dad couldn't convince mom to shoot. She was carrying the same .410 single shot Stevens shotgun that I learned to hunt with many years later. Finally mom decided and said to dad that the next one they saw she would shoot (note: she said shoot not shoot at ). Well the next one they saw was on the move high in the tree tops, she raised the little shotgun, followed the path the squirrel was taking, waiting for just the right moment. Just as the squirrel came into clear view, he jumped from one tree to the next, she fired, dad started to say something, then quietly walked over and put the squirrel in his game pouch, and said, quietly, lets go to the house. He never took her hunting again.

We don't tease dad about that trip or anything Wink , it has been nearly 50 years ago now.

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down