Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape

Go down

Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape Empty Turn Your Yard Into a Luscious Landscape

Post by Sonshine Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Edible-Landscaping-Fruit-Plants.aspx?utm_content=01.01.10+FG&utm_campaign=FG&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

Contrary to what some adult may have told you as a child, you can “have your cake and eat it too.” Well, when it comes to planting your yard, at least.

Garden plants have traditionally been pigeonholed into one of two categories: utilitarian, for providing food, or ornamental, for providing beauty. This ethos has plopped fruit plantings in out of the way, far corners of backyards. When constraints of time or space have forced a choice between planting for beauty or planting for food (which, after all, can be bought), that decision has usually tipped in favor of beauty.

But that choice need not be made! You can have both. You can have your cakes and eat them too.

Fruit-bearing trees, shrubs, and vines become permanent fixtures in the landscape — their branching patterns, their bark, and their trunks enduring throughout the year and looking more dramatic with time. Many fruiting plants are spectacular ornaments and especially so in certain seasons: Just look at peach branches studded in spring with powder puffs of pink blossoms, or persimmon branches in autumn bowing under the weight of their bright orange fruit. Nanking cherry and juneberry are among those plants that bear delectable fruits yet have actually been planted most often as ornamentals, their gustatory offerings unknowingly overlooked or ignored.

One nice feature of luscious landscaping with fruits is that eating the fruit doesn’t ruin the “picture,” something I realized was not the case when I began harvesting lettuce heads from the pretty tapestry I once created with lettuces of various textures and colors in one of my vegetable beds. My persimmons’ fruits cling to their branches for weeks and bear in such profusion that the tree’s festive look lingers well into autumn despite my picking and eating plenty of fruits. Perhaps the biggest plus for luscious landscaping is that you get to eat homegrown fruits — nature’s original desserts.

Please follow the link for the rest of the article.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down