Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
What are you planting in your garden this year? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

What are you planting in your garden this year?

5 posters

Go down

What are you planting in your garden this year? Empty What are you planting in your garden this year?

Post by Mississippi Momma Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 am

Last year we planted green beans, okra, cukes, zukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, five different peppers and sweet potatoes. We didn't have a good harvest. We ate green beans and I gave my Mom and Stepfather enough for two or three meals. Then I put five bags of beans in the freezer. I was disappointed. All our garden was planted in raised beds.

This year we are planting tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers in the raised beds. The green beans will be planted in the ground on teepees. We would love to plant field peas but we don't have room for them. Also, I would like to plant food for our birds but there's not enough room for that either.

I do plan to plant sunflowers by a fence. I think I can get a couple of rows there. We will save the seed to feed the chickens in the winter.

I have lettuces planted in containers and I may try some more container gardening.

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you planting in your garden this year? Empty Re: What are you planting in your garden this year?

Post by 12acrehome Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:47 am

We are gonna have summer and winter squash, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, carrots, cabbages, green beans, and peppers. Sunflowers are planned for the lower area. We still have gallons of pickles, so not planning for cukes this year.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

What are you planting in your garden this year? Empty Re: What are you planting in your garden this year?

Post by Sonshine Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 am

We already have Egyptian walking onions growing from last year. This year we planted asparagus in our permanent garden. We're keeping it seperated from our regular garden area.

In the regular garden area we are growing sweet peas, tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, oniions, carrots, corn, green beans, butter beans, purple hull peas, okra, squash and some cucumbers. We have quite a few pickles left from last year too, so we're only planting a few to cut up in salads.

In the fall we're going to plant some greens and depending on how our beans do we might do another crop of beans.

Our animal garden will have feed corn, sunflowers and peanuts. We'll keep the peanuts for us, but plan on making peanut hay for the goats.

Our herb garden has rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, peppermint, spearmint, lavandar, roses, aloe, catnip, and a few others I can think of right off the bat.

We might get a couple of plum trees to add to our orchard.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 am

Good Plan Sonshine
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

We've been gradually increasing our gardens each year. We try to plant enough for our family, plus the elderly couple next door.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 pm

lol!
We try to grow enough to share with our neighbors as well as family and friends, heck even acquaintances drop by during harvest time cheers
Most years there is excess even after sharing with everyone who shows up

to help Suspect
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Yeah, we try to give away a fair amount. But a couple of years ago we purposely enlarged the garden for our elderly neighbors. He was a pilot and a few years ago was in a pretty bad plane wreck. His face literally went through the windshield. He's very limited on what he can eat because of how bad his jaw was messed up. She won't hardly cook any more because it's just her that's able to eat what she cooks. He can handle most soups, but he basically can only take things orally if he can drink it through a straw. So we can up pint size jars of veggies for her, so she can just heat them up. I also try to can up more soups so he will have more to eat. We don't have family around here, but when my inlaws come to visit I usually send some jars home with them too.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Your gardens all sound wonderful. Sonshine, where did you find your butter bean seeds? I haven't seen them in any of the catalogs I've gotten. I'm going to try for green beans, yellow beans, dry beans of some kind, kidney beans, beets, brocolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, corn, cucumbers, mangle beets for animal feed, onions, potatoes, pumpkins, squash (butternut, yellow and zucchini) and sunflowers. Boy, when I look at it in print it looks like an awful lot of stuff for one person but I too intend to give a lot away and can a lot for next winter.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:36 pm

I don't remember where I got the butter bean seeds. Many of our seeds came from My Patriot Supply. I forgot to put beets on my list. We have the seeds for them, just forgot to list them.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Lillia Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Mississippi Momma wrote:Last year we planted green beans, okra, cukes, zukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, five different peppers and sweet potatoes. We didn't have a good harvest. We ate green beans and I gave my Mom and Stepfather enough for two or three meals. Then I put five bags of beans in the freezer. I was disappointed. All our garden was planted in raised beds.

This year we are planting tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, and peppers in the raised beds. The green beans will be planted in the ground on teepees. We would love to plant field peas but we don't have room for them. Also, I would like to plant food for our birds but there's not enough room for that either.

I do plan to plant sunflowers by a fence. I think I can get a couple of rows there. We will save the seed to feed the chickens in the winter.

I have lettuces planted in containers and I may try some more container gardening.

You sound like you are making the most of your space. I do try to stick to companion gardening, even in our very small garden, but, in the front, for example, I will grow a head of lettuce, here and there, between flowers.
Container gardeing is perfect for small gardens. Right now I have my spring onion seeds planted in a container. Beans do well in big buckets which I will have to do again this year. I made a circle in the grass to grow the spinach and in a semi circle, at the back edge, the peas grow; they do well together. My lettuce is waiting to leave the tiny greenhouse and go in the ground. My carrot seeds also went in a container this year; just a big plastic square tote.

Miss Lillia
Miss Lillia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down