Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
So, what's everyone planting this year? EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Sloppy  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

So, what's everyone planting this year?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So, what's everyone planting this year? Empty So, what's everyone planting this year?

Post by Sonshine Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:15 am

I can't wait to get started on my garden this year. We're hoping to expand it again this year and have been trying to build up the soil using our wonderful droppings from our chickens and goats. Smile I haven't had much luck with corn so far, because the soil has been pretty lousy, but last year we saw some improvement, so we're going to try again this year. We're going to try to grow some for us to eat and some for the critters. I'm also going to be growing some sunflowers for the goats and chickens. Of course, we'll have our tomatoes, various types of peppers, green beans, pinto beans, purple hull peas, okra, squash, onions, potatoes and am going to try some new things this year that I got from a seed train in HT. One of the new things I'll be trying is kale.

I'm also going to try my hand at a medicinal herb garden.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

So, what's everyone planting this year? Empty Re: So, what's everyone planting this year?

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:07 pm

I've been sketching out my garden plan today. I will be increasing the garden by about a foot. I did this last year and DH didn't notice, so I figured I'd try it againg this year. He complains about losing his lawn space, so I have to sneak the expansion in a bit at a time. I only grow heirloom, open pollinating seeds so that I can save some of my own seeds each year to replant next year.

I'm going to be adding another fence row to grow pole beans on. I'm getting 4 new beans to try this year, so I figure I better keep the variety we like on it's regular fence and add another just in case we don't like them. Got to have my home grown beans to get us through the winter. Wink

I'm also getting 8 new varieties of tomatoes so I'll be planting those in large pots/buckets or on the back fence, not sure where yet. The space in the garden will be devoted to the ones I've grown for the last few years.

I would like to add a couple of dwarf apple trees, a dwarf peach and a fruit cocktail tree (it has 4 or 5 different friuts on one tree), if I can sqeeze them in someplace. I have 2 apple trees that hopefully will provide some apples this year. I'm hoping that I will get a fair amount of blueberries from my bushes this year, I put them in 2 summers ago.

I'm planning on sewing some more grow bags from heavy weight landscape fabric to grow my potatoes in on the driveway this year again. I did that 2 years ago and got a fair amount of potatoes. Last year I decided to put them in the garden and they all had scab from too much chicken manure in the garden.

I've made some self watering bucket planters that I will grow onions, carrots, cabbage, celery, sugar snap peas, and watermelon in this year. I also have a toy wheelbarrow that I drilled drainage holes in for my herbs. I usually grow chives (in a pot), basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley and dill (in the garden). I will be expanding the herbs to other containers this year.

I'm planning on putting the cucumbers, broccoli and cauliflower in the garden as well as some red, yellow and orange bell peppers. The walking onions and garlic will stay in their spots for this growing season and I'll move them in the fall. The zucchini and pumpkins will be planted on the back fence.

We will be on the look out for someone throwing out a dresser to get a few drawers to grow salad and spinach in as they are shallow root plants and I don't want to waste precious garden space for them.

I haven't had much luck with the corn over the past few years, we've had earwigs and then blight. Sad I'm thinking I'll give the corn a try again and also add some sunflowers, both of which will act as a wind block for the rest of the garden. I might also add some beans (dry soup type) to this mix and let them climb up the corn and sunflowers.

I too may try kale or swiss chard this year. My family is not big on leafy greens, especially cooked ones but we need to incorporate more of them into our diets.

Last edited by PATRICE IN IL on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added something)
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

So, what's everyone planting this year? Empty Re: So, what's everyone planting this year?

Post by Joy Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 am

I'm excited for this year's garden because it will be the first time using heirloom seeds which I ordered and they have arrived. At present, I only have two small up-beds and their are up-beds on 3 sides of my little greenhouse. Last year was my first year planting in them but with store bought seeds. Yeild was fair on most things but many grew beautifully but not much production. This year I will plant 3 kinds of tomatoes, one being roma for jucing, cumcumbers, pole beans, peas, squash, beets, brussel sprouts, water melons, onions, canlopes, lettus.....maybe more, can't remember them all. I do quite a bit of container growing in early spring and late fall. That way I can carry them in the greenhouse with changing weather. Inside the greenhouse, I've had tomatoes, peppers,
and lettus going all winter and that has been a wonderful experience for me. When we bought this place, there was an old canoe left behind (we live on the lake) and I moved it closer to the garden and planted a butterfly garden in it. I do have a small plot with a strawberry patch and hope to make jam this year. I also grown various herbs in pots, drying much of it for winter use and I put in some blueberry bushes last summer. Tomorrow, I plan on making marmolade from our oranges trees. Oh, almost forgot, I grown numerous flowers many flower beds, pots, and hanging baskets.

Joy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:50 am

Joy, have you considered doing some edible landscaping? That's something I've been working on. Last year we did our first herb garden, but did it as a flower bed, complete with a fountain in the middle. This year I'll be putting in my second herb garden and planting blueberry bushes as shrubs.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 am

Edible landscaping is where I'm trying to get to with the beds up near the house. I have a bed about 20' long under my picture window in the front of the house. I had it planted with a wildflower mix 2 years ago. Last year I just scattered a few packages of wildflower seeds but had more weeds than anything. I created this "some what of a raised bed" by placing 5 buckets of composted chicken manure down on the rocky soil and then I placed 5 bags of top soil over the compost. The new planting depth is only about 4-5" deep.

I think I'm going to try and put in as many herbs as I can in this bed this year. The problem is this bed faces North and only gets partial sun. It also had evergreen bushes growing here when we moved in, but I had the neighbor cut them down to the ground for me. The stumps are still there as well as a bunch of the red lava rocks that the previous owner had put in under the bushes. I also have an old wash tub (square galvanized type) that I had planted with flowers. I think I'm going to put some herbs in there as well. I might as well put edibles in, it will help to cut our expenses for seasonings if I dry and save the herbs..
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am

I love having my own herbs. I use them a lot, so it really saves money growing them yourself. I had read on HT where someone saved their bottles that parmesian cheese comes in and puts their herbs in them. I liked that idea, so when I made lasagna, I had emptied one of my bottles and cleaned it out and put my basil in it. I think it's going to work out well.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:33 am

I just saved my largest parmesan cheese contain to use as a flour shaker. I also use other large bottles for bulk taco and sloppy joe seasoning. I'm saving the bottles from other seasonings as I empty them so I can refill them with my own homemade herb mixes. Things like italian seasoning blend, parsley flakes, onion flakes. I'm leaving the original labels on so I don't have to write on them what is each bottle.

I have it easy when it comes to drying herb. My stove has a gas pilot light and the oven stays warm all the time. I just put the herbs on a cookie sheet and leave them in the oven until they are dry. I stir them a few times to make sure they dry evenly.

I have also dried beans for soup like this too. I dry egg shells on a cookie sheet on a piece of wax paper or parchment paper too. I then crumble them and either feed them back to the chickens if I'm low on calcium or I add some to each hole when I'm planting in the spring. I have an electric food dehydrator but if I'm just drying a little bit of stuff why waste the electricity when the oven is always warm.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:43 am

I use my dehydrator. I have a propane stove, but no pilot light on it. I have thought about hanging them near my woodstove, just haven't tried it yet.

Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 am

If you do, bundle them and hang with the heads of the plants hanging down. I would also wrap them with either cheese cloth or another light weight fabric (like an old bed sheet cut into squares or sewn into little bags)to keep the dust off of them and to aid in the collection process.

Last edited by PATRICE IN IL on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Sonshine - Yes, I do mix herbs into the flower bed during the summer
months and I do quite a few mix-flower potted arrangements mixing herbs into the container also. You just have to make sure the flowers and herbs
have the same needs as far as sun. soil mix and watering needs. Make beautiful patio plantings. But I grown herbs year around here in Florida so I do put my herbs into containers for the greenhouse in the Winter so I rarely dry them.

Joy

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:26 pm

I do like all this conversation about dehydrators. Has anyone tried oranges? I don't have a dehydrator but would like to purchase one. I have so many citrus trees of various kinds and would love finding more ways to make useful the fruit. I tried juicing and freezing about 12 gallons one year but it didn't turn out very well. After thawing, the juice would separate and be watery on the bottom. Making fresh juice is wonderful but I won't waste time freezing again. So, has anyone tried dehydrating citrus?

Joy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

I haven't tried drying oranges, but have dried the zest from oranges and lemons.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Farm Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:28 am

I'm right behind you on the HT seed train, Sonshine! bounce It'll be my first time 'round and I can't hardly wait to see what treasures abound in that box! Really hoping there are a couple of those walking onions left. I have plenty of things to add and am excited to share, too!

So far, I have my lettuce, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, crookneck and zucs started under a fan and grow lights inside. I have some starts of comfrey, from another HTer, coming right along as well! Putting up my pea fence and getting those put out this weekend!

This'll be my biggest garden yet and my first in several years! Let's just hope this old gal can still keep up! So looking forward to every sore muscle, though! LOL cheers
Tater Farm
Tater Farm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 am

Welcome to our little corner of the world Tater Farm. This will be my second time on the seed train. I'm hoping for some of those Egyptian Walking Onions too, and some medicinal herbs. I'm thinking about starting a train here next year. Depends on how busy the forum gets though.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Farm Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:28 am

Thank you, for the very kind welcome! I'd certainly be interested in participating, if you do decide to do a seed train! Variety is the spice of life, after all! A little bit of this - a little bit of that...

How many current, active members do ya'll have here? I'll make sure and mention the site to my like-minded friends! - Shelly
Tater Farm
Tater Farm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:32 am

We had a very active forum until I had to go into back surgery. Then things really slowed down. Recently we've had a lot of new members joining us and some of the old timers have begun posting again. As far as really active though, probably only about 4 or 5 at the present. I would love for you to invite your like-minded friends, as long as they're aware that it is a Christian site. Smile May I ask where you are in Georgia? We live close to Robins AFB in Warner Robins.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:54 pm

Sonshine and Tater Farm, if you don't get the walking onions, let me know and when mine produce the bulblets, I'll send you some. I had a bunch last year that I gave to a friend and a bunch I started in a pot to transplant this year. I'd just have to figure out how to ship them. Could one of you let me know how they are packaged in the seed train, if there are any left when it gets to you both?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Farm Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Good Morning! I pray that your recovery has gone well since your back surgery, SONSHINE! I have back issues, from time to time, and know how very trying that can be.

Your forum being a Christian site is what had me stop in... Very Happy My like-minded friends are just God lovin', down to earth, homesteady types. Two of my husband's brothers, two of our nephews, and a few cousins are Church of God preachers. Most of the rest of the family is in music ministry... and, the rest probably should be -lol! My son-in-law plays bass guitar, on occassion, at Andy Stanley's media church in Forsyth Co. And, two of his brothers preach... Well, you get the picture! Wink We're all just blessed to be in the Lord's service!

We live in Cumming - way north, almost at the Dawsonville line. My husband took our daughter to Warner Robins to get her driver's license, 'cause she could get an appointment so much quicker there. I've not been to your neck of the woods, though...

I appreciate your offer of the walking onions, PATRICE!!! Thank you so much! Will definately let you know... I would think, wrapping them in a little paper toweling in a tiny bubble envelope would give them enough protection. But, ya'll may know better about shipping than I do. Just let me know what you need to cover your costs and the onions...

Well, I'm off to scout out the rest of the forums... There's probably a place here to introduce myself. I'm planning on making a big garden and can't have animals until our move, so I'll probably read and post here the most. cheers Blessings - Shelly
Tater Farm
Tater Farm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Patrice, thanks for the offer. I know that someone in the seed train put some in, but there were a lot of people that said they wanted some. Hopefully by the time they get to Shelly and me there'll be some left. Since I get them first, I'll make sure to leave some if there's any there.

Shelly,
I'm a Children's Pastor at a Church of God. I grew up in the CofG but ended up going to several different churches since being an adult. The Church of God we're in now though we love.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Farm Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh my goodness, Sonshine - see, I just knew there was a reason I was drawn here! LOL That's awesome! We attend Flowery Branch COG - DH's cousin is the pastor there - lol! It's about an hour away - but, that's where we were lead...

I was raised Baptist and then realised there was a reason that I just couldn't sit still - LOL! My daughter married a Baptist... well, they're really pentecostal - they just don't know it yet! Wink I changed my profile pic to one of she and I at her wedding a couple of years ago!
Tater Farm
Tater Farm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:17 am

LOL I call them Baptistcostals. When Joe and I first got married we attended a Baptist church, but it wouldn't have taken much for that Pastor to have been Pentecostal. Smile Lovely picture BTW. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:06 am

The offer still stands if you both don't get some.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks Patrice. I'm not sure where the seed train is right now, but it should be getting close to me by now. Smile Hopefully this forum will get busy and we can do a seed train next year. In the meantime, if there's a certain type of seed someone would like to have, maybe if you post it here the seed fairy might have some to send. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:15 am

We are planning to plant some asparagus beans. I did this a couple of years back and they made like wildfire. So I'm wanting to plant them again. Then we plan to plant the usual....squash, zukes, cukes, tomatoes, peppers (thinking about planting some habernara (sp) for hot sauce),

I want to add to the herb bed....I have rosemary, oregano and chives growing there now but would love to add parsley, dill, basil, and sage at least.

We have planted in raised beds the last two years. It makes working the garden much easier. The only downfall is I don't have room to plant large crops of field peas, butterbeans and corn.

We've planted some radishes, beets and carrots already. But...the temps dropped to below freezing a couple of nights ago so I'm not sure how much damage it did. It's still early enough to replant so that's what I'll do if the cold kills my little plants.

I love gardening. It's so relaxing to me and the food is terrific!!!
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum