Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom)

Go down

One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom) Empty One Dumb Thing at a Time! (My Life as a Mom)

Post by Sonshine Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:49 pm

What kind of mom are you?

A good mom? Loving? Attentive? Caring?

As mothers we aspire to goodness and (generally!) feel we pull it off.

Yet, nevertheless, each day we have edgy self-doubts about something that-has-to-do-with-being-a-mom, and also about being a mom who teaches. But what is it?

For me, all of my under-the-surface self-doubts came together into words after I had been a mom for 23 years, a 13-year homeschool veteran, and had just decorated a Christmas cookie (not cookies; just one).

This one cookie was my best attempt for that one year. Even it, this one, looked pretty lame. I'm not a good cookie-maker. But in all the years that had gone by, all 23 of them, I kept trying to make good cookies! I kept thinking things like: "If I try a new recipe, or go to a cookie-decorating party or class, then I'll make a bunch of great cookies."

That year I decided to stop with just one cookie, one droopy cookie. For fun when it was done, I took a picture and texted it to my grown-up daughter, who's a great cookie-maker.

Quickly she texted back: "What? How about the rest!"

I answered, also quickly and with confidence: "One dumb thing at a time!"

She called me on the spot. While laughing she asked: "What do you mean? It's not so dumb! And where are the rest?????"

"Yes, it is dumb. And so there's just one!"

"Just one cookie!" she teased.

"Just one today!" I answered.

A week later she came to visit and made us a ton of great cookies. They also tasted good.

We're both still laughing about "One Dumb Thing at a Time." Since then this little slogan has been sinking in to me and giving me happy freedom. After all, think of all the different kinds of things we do as moms and as teaching moms. What are the chances that we can do them all well? Pretty slim.

Cleaning and decorating are completely different. Reading aloud and record-keeping are completely different. First-aiding and encouraging -- completely different. Teaching how to tie shoes and how to ride a bike -- completely different. Birthday parties and sewing costumes -- completely different.

When we get to the things where we're inept, where we feel dumb, it's OK to slow down. It's OK to do as few of those floundery-kinds-of-things as we have to. Where we're inept it takes us longer than it takes the people who are good at them, who are naturals. That's OK. We can take longer when we need to, do less, and feel OK.

For us and for our kids let's find the comic-joy and the freedom to slow down or skip the things we don't do well, and live it up on all the others!
------
Virginia Vagt is a writer, speaker, editor and 13-year veteran homeschooling mom. Click here to read selections from Vagt's Be Encouraged column or, for additional resources, visit HomeFieldAdvantage.org.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down