Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Benefits of Basil EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Benefits of Basil EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Benefits of Basil EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Benefits of Basil EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Benefits of Basil EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Benefits of Basil EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Benefits of Basil EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Benefits of Basil EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Benefits of Basil EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Benefits of Basil

3 posters

Go down

Benefits of Basil Empty Benefits of Basil

Post by Sonshine Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:38 am

Basil
The round, often pointed leaves of the basil plant looks a lot like peppermint to which it is related. Its highly fragrant leaves are used as a seasoning herb for a variety of foods but has become ever popular as the main ingredient in pesto, the mixture of basil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese.

This chart graphically details the %DV that a serving of Basil provides for each of the nutrients of which it is a good, very good, or excellent source according to our Food Rating System. Additional information about the amount of these nutrients provided by Basil can be found in the Food Rating System Chart. A link that takes you to the In-Depth Nutritional Profile for Basil, featuring information over 80 nutrients, can be found under the Food Rating System Chart.

Health Benefits
Description
History
How to Select and Store
How to Enjoy
Individual Concerns
Nutritional Profile
References
Health Benefits

Research studies on basil have shown unique health-protecting effects in two basic areas: basil's flavonoids and volatile oils.

DNA Protection Plus Anti-Bacterial Properties

The unique array of active constituents called flavonoids found in basil provide protection at the cellular level. Orientin and vicenin are two water-soluble flavonoids that have been of particular interest in basil, and in studies on human white blood cells; these components of basil protect cell structures as well as chromosomes from radiation and oxygen-based damage.

In addition, basil has been shown to provide protection against unwanted bacterial growth. These anti-bacterial properties of basil are not associated with its unique flavonoids, but instead with its volatile oils, which contain estragole, linalool, cineole, eugenol, sabinene, myrcene, and limonene. Lab studies show the effectiveness of basil in restricting growth of numerous bacteria, including : Listeria monocytogenes, Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli O:157:H7, Yersinia enterocolitica, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Essential oil of basil, obtained from its leaves, has demonstrated the ability to inhibit several species of pathogenic bacteria that have become resistant to commonly used antibiotic drugs. More:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=85
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Benefits of Basil Empty Re: Benefits of Basil

Post by 7dawn Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

I don't have sweet basil, which I am not sure if that is what you are talking about. I do have one basil plant that keeps all year round. I forget what kind it is. It has small rounded leaves. I don't think I could kill it if I wanted to.

I also have Thai basil and some other basil. I am hoping they come back. The drought did them in. They seeded enough to where they should come back in the spring though. Next time I go to Sprouts I am going to get some of the sweet basil and see if it will take in the flower bed.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Lillia Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

That's very interesting. I keep basil growing.
Miss Lillia
Miss Lillia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum