Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Energy Savings Guide EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Energy Savings Guide EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Energy Savings Guide EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Energy Savings Guide EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Energy Savings Guide EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Energy Savings Guide EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Energy Savings Guide EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Energy Savings Guide EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Energy Savings Guide EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Energy Savings Guide

2 posters

Go down

Energy Savings Guide Empty Energy Savings Guide

Post by Sonshine Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 pm

http://www.bringaboutgreen.com/lifestyle/energy-efficiency/energy-efficiency-guide?utm_source=Aweber&utm_medium=email

Before you start setting up a renewable energy installation you should aim to make your house more energy efficient. You see, the less energy your house uses the less energy you will need to generate. There are tons of ways to conserve energy and this free guide aims to help you with this.

Click on the link to read the rest of the article. Even if you aren't going to switch to an alternative energy, this should help everyone.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Energy Savings Guide Empty Re: Energy Savings Guide

Post by Forerunner Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 am

When we had the power shut down several years ago and started generating our own, the first change we made was to eliminate 80% or more of our habitual electrical usage. We found ways to mechanically accomplish much of what we had used electricity for in the past. Food processing, lighting, shop equipment.....everything was looked at anew.
I procured several scrap propane tanks in the 500 to 1000 gallon range and converted them to air tanks. I installed an air compressor along with the alternator in our power system and run both off the old Wisconsin engine.
There is an awful lot that can be done with compressed air.
A wind mill could also be set up to be charging an air tank with pressure every time the wind blows.
Lighting is now accomplished largely with candles and propane.
Beeswax and beef tallow are your friends.
Our first motivation was to get away from any and all conglomerates, i.e. the corporate power grid, thus the residual use of so much "technology". Sustainability is becoming the priority, and using technology to accomplish work while learning and implementing the simpler and more self sufficient techniques is a very gratifying and smooth way to make the transition.
Forerunner
Forerunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu May 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Forerunner,
Although we aren't as far a long as you are, we're getting there slowly. Do you have a fridge? Is it a propane fridge? I think that's my main concern. This past year we bought a wood stove, that if needed, I can cook on it. We also have a fire pit and camp stoves and a propane stove and fridge in our RV. My concern would be what would happen if we could no longer get propane? As for other means of survival, I think food wise we would be ok. We are raising enough food that we could make it, but I'm trying to stock up on things that I can't raise, like salt.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forerunner Thu May 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Salt will also be a major bartering item when times get more, uh, interesting....

Yes, propane fridge here..... could be run with methane.....
I've also wondered about keeping a candle lit in place of the propane flame.

We developed a spring here on the land and I have plans to build a concrete spring house for keeping summer perishables fresh a few days/hours longer.

I've wrestled many times with the refrigeration issue and, as time goes by, I realize that with root cellar, dehydration, smoking and planning gardens and butchering schedules according to weather patterns, not to mention the possibility of an icehouse...... we won't suffer much if high tech refrigeration goes south.
The wood stove for cooking is a good idea. A summer kitchen may happen before its all said and done. Good to keep that heat out of the house.
We heat all of our fall, winter and spring water in stainless pots on the wood stove, and heat summer water outside in a 75 gallon stainless tank positioned over a small fire. The laundry setup is out there, as well.
Forerunner
Forerunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 15, 2009 12:57 am

The refigeration issue is one that has concerned me. We live in GA and don't have a lot of access to ice to make and icehouse. Have you considered those solar water heaters?
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Forerunner Fri May 15, 2009 10:21 pm

I've considered doing a lot with the sun, but not much that involves a purchase.
I tend to gravitate toward what I can salvage or build myself.
I've always been leery of solar ever since panels came out, due to their unsustainability if one needs repair or replacement.
I know, I know....I've let one negative aspect of solar cloud my otherwise likely good judgment. Sad

I do use solar extensively in the garden. Smile
Forerunner
Forerunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Well, so far we've only considered solar for our well. Although if it broke we could finagle something to get the water out. We've thought about getting a deep well hand pump, but haven't gotten it yet.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum