Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
What to do with all those cucumbers EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

What to do with all those cucumbers

Go down

What to do with all those cucumbers Empty What to do with all those cucumbers

Post by Sonshine Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:34 pm

http://www.herbcompanion.com/cooking/4-recipes-for-quick-pickles.aspx?utm_content=07.31.09+FG&utm_campaign=F%26G&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

The pleasure of late summer is the burgeoning abundance of available fresh herbs—whether plucked from your own garden or obtained from your local farmers’ market. A good way to savor these herbal treasures is by using them to make quick pickled vegetables, which can be ready in about an hour or so.

Unlike traditional canning methods, these easy-to-prepare recipes take just 10 to 20 minutes to assemble. Then all you need to do is chill the jar in the refrigerator for about an hour, until cold. The pickles do need to be refrigerated, however, so if you want basement shelves full of pickles, you’ll need to take the longer, more involved canning route.

RELATED CONTENT
4 Recipes for Quick Pickles: Rosemary & Sage Quick Pickles
The winning, flavorful combination of rosemary and sage imbues a subtle taste to these unique pickl...

4 Recipes for Quick Pickles: Herbal Heirloom Tomato Pickles
For this recipe, I particularly love using lemon basil and Russian Red garlic. Make sure the tomato...

A Cook's Notes on Dill: Risotto with Seafood and Dill
This dish is very Italian, with clean, definite seafood, herb, and rice flavors and a creamy broth ...

A Cook's Notes on Dill: Zucchini Dill Pickles
Small zucchini (about 1 inch in diameter) make the best pickles, but overgrown ones can make satisf...

A Cook's Notes on Dill: Dill Dressing
I offer this dressing as an example of how well dill combines with other herbs and how many foods i...
4 Quick Pickle Recipes:

• Garlic Pickled Mustard Greens
• Herbal Heirloom Tomato Pickles
• Rosemary & Sage Quick Pickles
• Homemade Herb Pickling Mix

Beyond Garlic and Dill
Most supermarket pickles are predictably seasoned with garlic, dill and standard pickling spices. By making your own quick pickles, you can use many different fragrant herbs.

Basil, oregano, thyme, mint, sage, dill, rosemary, chives, garlic, tarragon and nasturtiums all lend themselves beautifully to pickle recipes. Seeds to experiment with include mustard, coriander and fennel. Even if you’ve used the leaves in other recipes, leftover herb twigs and stems can add herb-infused flavor in your quick pickle jar.

Quick Creativity
What I love about quick herbal pickling is that I never make the same recipe twice. There’s always a new, intriguing herb or herb combination I want to marry with fresh organic vegetables. When I go to my familiar herb source, Teresa Santiago’s booth at a local farmers’ market, I find herbs that inspire quick pickling creativity.

Unlike many supermarket pickles, these recipes don’t contain artificial food colorings and preservatives, or refined sugar. The recipes also are much easier than canning, which can require hours of intense labor to properly seal pickled produce in hot, sterile canning jars.

For more, please click on the link.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down