Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Dizzy's Delightful Dirt EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Dizzy's Delightful Dirt

3 posters

Go down

Dizzy's Delightful Dirt Empty Dizzy's Delightful Dirt

Post by dizzy Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:02 am

I'm finally getting around to doing my garden journal. I couldn't come up w/a good name for it. After all, what can you put about a garden that starts w/a D since I wanted some alliteration for my title. Then I got to thinking, I'm planting in dirt. So I thought, Dizzy's Dirt. But, I wanted 3 words. Well, w/all the stuff I've done to my soil over the years, I'd say it's pretty delightful, so Dizzy's Delightful Dirt it is.

This year, winter just didn't want to end. Plus, it had come early last fall. So, I hadn't been able to get done getting my garden ready as early as I'd planned. Plus, I had to burn wood for so much later than I'd planned that I wasn't able to get in all the early stuff I wanted to. I did get in some peas, some onions and some potatoes. I'm trying the potatoes in containers. I want to see how they do. I have 3 varieties planted, cobbler, Pontiac red and Yukon gold. I have 2 bins of the cobblers, and one each of the other two.

I tried to grow some onions from seed this year. For the most part, they didn't come up, so I used sets instead. I have yellow onions in my garden, hubby has red in his. I don't have a separate bed for onions. I plant them around my tomatoes.

I grow all my vine crops on trellises. But B4 I grow them, I plant peas in that area. Some of the seeds were apparently too old. So, I didn't get all I was expecting. But, I should be able to start picking them for dinner soon. I'll admit to eating some of the ones w/edible pods already-even though they weren't really big enough to pick.

I started broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, just never got it in. I'm trying to figure out where I can put it now. I might stick it in my orchard.

I didn't get my lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots or turnips planted. I might try growing some lettuce still and some of the other stuff I might try in the fall. That remains to be seen.

I'll post more about what else I'm doing later on.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Dizzy's Delightful Dirt Empty Re: Dizzy's Delightful Dirt

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:49 am

I'm glad you figured out a title and got your journal going. Smile

Sounds like you've got a good amount of stuff planted already.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Peas are a crop that just won't produce for me. It always gets really hot right before they fruit and the plant ends up drying up.

Glad to see you starting a journal. I really like the name too.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks! Don't know if I'll have time today, but I need to post what tomatoes, peppers and eggplants I have in.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:56 am

I have the following tomato plants in.

1 Cherokee, 1 delicious, 1 grape tomato, 1 green (forget exactly what it's called), 3 Jersey devil, 1 marglobe, 2 Rio, 3 Roma, 2 Roma grande, 2 Rutgers and 3 San Marzano.

Something bit off one of my Rios, but I had another that I could put in. Otherwise, I would have seen about taking a sucker off the one and planting it.

I like grape tomatoes in salads, but figure that I don't need more than 1 plant. I'd rather use the space for bigger tomatoes.

The other plants that I have 1 of are all experimental, heirloom varieties. If I like any of them, I'll grow them again. If not, I might still grow them, but sell the plants.

I found more volunteer tomatoes today. I need to get them out and get all my extra tomatoes to the auction. I don't think it will happen this week, but next week for sure.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:21 am

You've got a good amount of tomatoes planted, I hope they do well for you.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:40 am

Could it be a German green tomato? Another green one is Zebra. ??
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:38 pm

I'm not sure. It could be German. I'll have to find the package and see. It's one someone gave to me.

Patrice, normally tomatoes do real well in this area. There are tons of tomato farms not too far from here. Nothing quite taste like a Jersey tomato.

I have 6 different colors of bell/bullnose type peppers, 1 plant of each. I have the following: albino, California (green-red), chocolate, golden, midnight, orange.

I also have 2 pimiento peppers of a variety called lipstick. Something bit the one, and I was upset since I didn't have another one to put in it's place, so I decided to plant some more. I figured any extras I could take to the auction. Well, whatever bit it bit it above the first leaves. I left the stem so I'd know where to plant the new one. The stem is now getting leaves out where the first leaves were, so it should be OK!

I also have 2 hot peppers planted. I only need enough hots to make salsa, so I'm hoping this is plenty. I have a jalepeno, and a serrano chili.

I read someplace that planting okra by your peppers will help support them. I don't recall if it does anything else, so I'll be planting some okra soon.

I got my blue bonnet rice in. (Anyone else thinking of margarine w/that name?) I try some as starts and some direct plant. The stuff that I planted is now up as well. I'm really curious to see how well it does.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:32 pm

I've never heard of a home gardener growing rice, how do you grow it? Does it need any specific growing conditions? How do you harvest it and process it for eating?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 am

It's an upland variety of rice, so you grow it in a normal garden. I'm not sure how to cut it down, nor process it. I found the info B4, and will look into it again once it's ready.

I forgot to put down my eggplants. I have 4 different eggplants. I only plant 1 of each variety. I don't eat a lot of egg plants, so this should be plenty. I have the following varieties: Casper, little fingers, Prospero and shooting starts.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum