Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us

3 posters

Go down

a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us Empty a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us

Post by 12acrehome Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 am

Hunters first.

While big game like deer and elk are the most popular game species to hunt, never forget small game. Squirrels and rabbits are great protein sources, and in addition to hunting, are legal to trap in most areas.

Some states have a wild boar (or feral hog) problem. The seasons for hunting these are typically open year round, just a hunting license is required. These so called wild boar are simply domestic hogs that have reverted to their wild behavior, in most cases. This is enough pork for a family of four for three months. Process your own at home... umm warning, link has graphic pictures, so if you're squeamish, don't look.

http://www.saveourskills.com/processing-pork-kill-butcher-cook-pig

Ok, now for the fishers of fish ( Smile  )

fishing is fishing, fish trapping has been discussed in the hunting fishing and trapping forum, so baits, well red worms, grasshoppers, crickets, along with any number of artificial baits that are available at stores. So this frugal tip is about economy of equipment. Any rod (even a cane pole) will catch a fish, you don't have to buy new though. New eyelets can be tied onto an old rod, and even a broken rod can be repaired for just a little bit of effort, and not much money.

Old hooks can be re-sharpened

http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/ss/Sharpen_Hooks_3.htm

and you can make your own bobbers

Enjoy
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us Empty Re: a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the videos Keith, I'll check them out later when I've got more time.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us Empty Re: a few thoughts for the hunters and fishers among us

Post by Rohn Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Some good information on those 12acres. Thanks for posting. I wish the rod repair one showed some closeups of repairing the fishing rod though. That would have been helpful.

I really enjoyed the information on butchering the Hog. That was good and it reminded me of many butchering days throughout my lifetime. Those outdoor skills that are done with other people, be they family or friends, sure make great memories. This brought back a lot of memories.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down