Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Really, really soft egg shell............... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Really, really soft egg shell...............

5 posters

Go down

Really, really soft egg shell............... Empty Really, really soft egg shell...............

Post by backtotheland Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I found an egg on the coop floor last evening that was perfectly formed and soft and squish. Does this mean that my girls need more calcium? I've never had this happen before.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Really, really soft egg shell............... Empty Re: Really, really soft egg shell...............

Post by 12acrehome Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

that sounds like a lack of minerals in the diet, but since I do not have chickens lets wait for the others to chime in.  I have read that calcium (ground shells, and other minerals should be offered in a separate feeder at all times for best egg laying results.

Another thought...just one egg out of how many?? and have you found any more? could just be a fluke.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Really, really soft egg shell............... Empty Re: Really, really soft egg shell...............

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 am

I've had the same thing happen before. Yes you need to add an extra calcium source for them such as dried crushed egg shells or crushed shells from seafood. I find it easiest to buy the bag of crushed oyster shells from the feedstore and add a scoop to the girls daily feed along with a scoop of grit.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:06 am

Adding the extra calcium is a good idea, but sometimes that is not really the problem.  Often a young or older hen will lay an egg like that.  It is just the reproductive system going wonky for a bit.  If you continue to have those eggs it would be best to identify who is laying them and cull her.  A soft egg like that can train other hens to start eating eggs if they set on it and it breaks.

Double yolk eggs are also caused by a wonky reproductive system.  Same deal there often a hen just starting laying eggs or at the end of their cycle.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:12 am

FF, that's what I was thinking.  When my girls first started laying we had several with soft shells and some that were so tiny they looked like my doves had layed them.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:16 am

I actually had one hen lay an egg with a full shell inside of the full shell outside, it was huge compared to the regular size eggs. I felt sorry for the poor girl who had to push that thing out, it had to hurt terribly.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks my friends. It only happened once and it was the night I collected 15 eggs. I'm going to get them a bag of calcium and a bag of grit at the feed store.

Does anyone know how to tell which hens are laying and which ones aren't? I'm only getting about nine or ten eggs a day (not that I'm complaining) out of 20 hens and I know the big white fluffy ones are about three years old so I know they will get culled out this fall.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 pm

There are several things to look for, but the easiest way to tell ... at least for me is to pick the hen up and feel for her pubic bones.  A non laying hen will have barely enough room to place your finger between those bones at the vent.  A hen that is currently laying, like a pregnant woman, has a spread to those bones.  You can fit two or even three fingers between them and the whole area is soft and supple.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks FF. I will see if I can get my friend Joan to help me with this or even the guy who sold me the chickens will help me. He's a great friend. He's already brought me two loads of wood chips for my garden.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down