Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather

3 posters

Go down

Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather Empty Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather

Post by Sonshine Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 pm

In former times, wild greens were not looked down upon as weeds, but instead were gathered up as potherbs for good eating and health. In the Old World and in early America, wild greens gathered from woodlots, pasturelands and meadows were an important part of the daily diet. But when 19th-century industrialization shifted eating habits toward beef, white bread and processed foods, attitudes toward plants like chickweed and dandelion changed. These wild potherbs, once relished even by the wealthy, became branded as poverty food.

The truth is, edible wild plants still are treasure troves of good flavor and health. You simply need to know when to gather them and how to prepare them to bring out their best qualities.

Read more: http://www.herbcompanion.com/Cooking/Wake-Up-Call.aspx#ixzz1kZlwSGuO
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather Empty Re: Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:31 am

Thanks for sharing this Sonshine.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather Empty Re: Wild Edible Greens to Grow or Gather

Post by 12acrehome Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Great post. My grandmother used to gather and cook "polk greens". They are stronger tasting than collard or turnip greens, but they grow wild and are very healthy. (notice how I avoided the word tastey No )
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm

I actually like poke salat. To me they taste more like a wild spinach. There's a funny story about poke salat. Joe grew up in MA in the suburbs. We were both in the Air Force when we met stationed in TX. The first time he met my parents my Dad went into the back yard and picked some poke salat and cooked it for our supper. After visiting with my parents we went to visit his parents who now live in Fl. He told them my Dad picked some weeds and cooked them up for supper. (nice way to impress my new in-laws) LOL It's no wonder his Mom didn't like me much at first. Smile

I have also made some dandelion syrup. The neighbor kids loved it!
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down