Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Homemade Flavored Vinegars EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Homemade Flavored Vinegars

Go down

Homemade Flavored Vinegars Empty Homemade Flavored Vinegars

Post by Sonshine Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 am

Basic Vinegar Instructions
• White Wine Vinegar
• Red Wine Vinegar
• Raspberry Vinegar

Herb-flavored vinegars are fun and easy to make during the spring and summer months when fresh herbs are plentiful. I make large batches by filling gallon jars with vinegar and fresh herbs and steeping them until the liquid is infused with the delicious herbal oils. I enjoy making unique herb combinations to keep in my pantry for everything from salad dressing to barbeque sauce.

One February day, a few years ago, I went to make a vinaigrette recipe and discovered that I was completely out of herbal vinegar. I had used my winter supply and it would be months before I could harvest a new batch of fresh herbs. I decided to try making vinegar using dried herbs and other flavorful ingredients, such as red pepper flakes, citrus peels and spices. I began experimenting and discovered that simple pantry ingredients created vinegars as delicious as their fresh-herb counterparts.

The trick to a delicious dried-herb vinegar is in the length of time you allow it steep. You can steep vinegar made with fresh herbs for as little two weeks, although many people prefer to steep it longer. When using dried herbs, you will need at least three to four weeks to fully flavor the vinegar. The longer it steeps, the stronger the flavor. Taste the vinegar before straining it. If the flavor is not strong enough for you, let the mixture steep longer.

The basic formula for flavored vinegar is approximately 1/4 cup dried herbs and spices to 4 cups vinegar. You can find a wealth of delicious combinations in your own pantry. Try combining various dried herbs, such as bay leaf, dill, lemon verbena, oregano, marjoram, mint, rosemary, sage, tarragon or thyme, along with spices, such as allspice, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, star anise, garlic, nutmeg or even candied ginger. You also can add dried seeds, such as anise, celery, coriander, dill, fennel or mustard. Be sure to crush them slightly to release their flavors. You can create sweet vinegars using 12 ounces frozen berries (such as raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries), 1 to 3 tablespoons dried herbs or spices and 4 cups vinegar. You also can throw in a fresh citrus peel or dried berries.

Read more: http://www.herbcompanion.com/cooking/herbs-pantry-homemade-flavored-vinegars.aspx#ixzz1jjThE4Hk
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down