Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Savory Sopes or Gorditas EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Savory Sopes or Gorditas

Go down

Savory Sopes or Gorditas Empty Savory Sopes or Gorditas

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:47 pm

http://amomnotapro.blogspot.com/2011/09/savory-sopes-or-gorditas.html

Savory Sopes or Gorditas
Growing up in a Mexican Puertorican family we ate Sopes but I didn't discover Gorditas til later in life. Gorditas literally means "fatty". They are thick tortillas made from a corn flour. They taste nothing like a tortilla if I had to compare them to something they closest comparison would be corn cakes with a doughy texture. Sopes were a treat at my house for some reason my mother thought they were too time consuming so we didn't get them very often.

I did some research online trying to figure out the difference between Gorditas (1st picture above) and Sopes (2nd picture above). I wasn't very successful until I got some help from Mexican friends and family. So apparently, Sopes and Gorditas only really differ in their shape. They both use the same dough, they can be fried or baked and they can be topped. You always top Sopes but Gorditas can be topped or filled. You can use any of these: beans, cheese, meat, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream etc... you can use a couple of those toppings or all of them. With sopes you pinch the end of the dough almost like you would with crust. Gorditas you don't do that they are either flat or filled. Frying or baking is up to you in Mexico when you buy them off street vendors they are fried most of the time. My mother fried ours, yummy!

All of the recipes I found used flour called Masa Harina a type of cornmeal flour that already has other ingredients mixed in and you just add water some recipes were more of a pita bread type and that is not what real Gorditas are like. After many attempts trying to make them using a Masa Harina recipe substituting this for just cornmeal (majorly messed up they kind of just fell apart) I decided to come up with my own version of Gorditas recipe since I can't get Masa Harina here.

Savory Gorditas

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 teaspoon salt

1 cup vegetable shortening, melted

1 cup warm milk

1 large egg, beaten

1 large egg yolk, beaten

3tbls Corn meal

* Optional: Vegetable oil for deep frying

COMBINE flour, baking powder, corn meal and salt in large bowl. Add shortening, milk, egg and egg yolk. Stir with a fork until dough forms a ball. Roll into twenty 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll each ball on floured surface to 6-inch circle. Keep dough balls covered as you work. Place balls between a plastic bag to roll out and flatten.

Bake at 350 for 10-15mins (or fry) and then top with beans and cheese while they are hot so the cheese can melt. You can stop there with topping or go for the full toppings: meat, cheese, sourcream, lettuce and tomato with salsa.
I tried both ways frying and baking and my preference is baking.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum