Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Got Some Turkeys EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Got Some Turkeys EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Got Some Turkeys EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Got Some Turkeys EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Got Some Turkeys EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Got Some Turkeys EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Got Some Turkeys EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Got Some Turkeys EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Got Some Turkeys EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  recipes  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Got Some Turkeys

2 posters

Go down

Got Some Turkeys Empty Got Some Turkeys

Post by Mississippi Momma Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:19 am

This morning our neighbor who sells animals brought me five turkeys and five guineas. He said the guineas would teach the turkeys to eat and drink. He's the man I bought the goslings from.

Yesterday was the last day I could order turkeys from the hatcheries. I didn't order any and had told William if everything went alright we would get the turkeys next spring. I had also told my neighbor that if his turkey egss hatched I would like to have five. I'm glad I didn't place that order. LOL

Here's the newest birds at our homestead:

Got Some Turkeys 100_1673

I didn't have a chance to clean the brooder. The neighbor didn't let me know that the birds had hatched. I'll have to move them to the other side and scrub the side they're in and then move them back but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

We were in Meridian at Sam's Club when he brought the birds. He left them at my Mom's for me to pick up.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Got Some Turkeys Empty Re: Got Some Turkeys

Post by Sonshine Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:04 pm

How much fun is that???? I would love to have some turkeys, but don't think I can handle more than we have. Although, it seems we'll be having a baby goat or two again soon. Cookie is pregnant again. I'm not thrilled about her getting pregnant so soon after giving birth to Patches, but we didn't get her separated from Marshmellow in time. We were trying to wait till Patches was old enough to separate from Cookie, so the bucks could be together, but our timing was off.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:20 am

I went to check on them a few minutes ago and they are doing great. Much more active than when we first got them. They're so cute. I don't know if the guineas will grow up thinking they're turkeys or the turkeys will grow up thinking they're guineas. LOL They're doing good together though. They're eating good. They're not drinking a lot but then they're only three days old so I guess they're drinking enough.

I'd love to have some goats. We have to get a pen for the turkeys finished, the pasture more secure and a fence around the garden for the geese before we can start thinking about a goat pen/barn or shed. I love to watch kids running and playing. They make me happy when they're running and jumping. LOL

How old do you let your kids get before you wean them from their moms? We've never had babies...Ours have been five or six months old when we got them.

I'd love to have some registered nubian does and pygmy bucks to breed Kinders. That's my ultimate dream. Smile
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 am

We try to separate them as soon as we see the kid eating enough of the hay we give them. Usually about 6 weeks old. I have read about others that have their goats and chickens in the same pen. We opted to have separate shelters and pens though.

We gave a rooster and a hen to one of our neighbors the other day. He's got a couple of ducks and has put them in the same pen. He told me today that they are doing great together, even huddling together to sleep.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down