Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

How has your day been and what's for dinner...................

+11
Farmfresh
Mississippi Momma
Mrs Rooster
carla
Evie1
kerrig
Rohn
amybyrd21
PlainFolk
backtotheland
Sonshine
15 posters

Page 26 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next

Go down

How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 Empty Re: How has your day been and what's for dinner...................

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:51 am

We also eat a lot of chicken too, MM. I've been fortunate to find some good deals on beef and pork on clearance so I put a bunch into the freezer. I've found that the hams at Aldi are actually cheaper per pound than white meat chicken has been lately.

I'm glad you have been able to have dinner with your family. It's nice to spend time with your children and grandchildren. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

How has your day been and what's for dinner................... - Page 27 Empty Re: How has your day been and what's for dinner...................

Post by dizzy Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am

We eat a lot of pork and chicken as well. Beef is just too expensive.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:15 am

I'm waiting for the results from my blood work but added iron and B complex to my daily meds to see if my exhaustion improves.

I made a one pot cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole for dinner. It turned out EXACTLY like I remember the boil in bag Green Giant version tasting. Smile

I sauteed diced raw chicken in 2tablespoons of olive oil, I seasoned the chicken with Lawry's brand season salt, garlic powder and paprika. Cook just until no longer pink then transfer just the chicken to a bowl. In the remaining oil add 1 cup of long grain white rice and stir to coat each grain of rice.  Add 8 ounces of frozen chopped broccoli and 2 cups of water. Season with a little salt then cover and cook 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Next over medium low heat, stir in about a half cup of milk and 2 ounces of softened cream cheese to the rice and broccoli. Stir to melt the cream cheese then add 1 cup of Kraft Triple Cheddar Blend finely shredded cheese and about 2-3 cups of milk. You want a creamy sauce so don't add too much milk, you can always add more if it's too dry. Stir to combine and melt the cheeses then add in the cooked chicken. Season with a bit more salt, if needed and some ground black pepper, simmer just until everything is warm and well combined. I think I started with about 1 1/2 cups of diced chicken breast but you can use either dark or white meat for this recipe.

It makes a tasty and fairly inexpensive meal to feed at least 4 hearty appetites.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:06 am

Patrice, you made me hungrier. LOL I was already hungry. I make a dish similar to this without the cream cheese. I boil the chicken, then add cooked broccoli, cheese, cream of chicken soup, cooked rice, chicken broth and milk then bake it for 30 minutes. Needless to say it's not a one pot meal. My sister used to make this dish for get togethers and everybody loved it. Her daughter found the recipe and shared it with all of us. Sometimes I make it without the chicken for a side dish.

I had a ham and cheese sandwich for breakfast. Don't know what we'll have for supper. I'm thinking maybe mac and cheese, English peas and green salad. Whatever it's going to be needs to quick and easy because I'm ready to eat now. HA!

It's been pretty cold down here today so we haven't done much outside. DH had a doctor's appointment in Meridian this morning and had to get the car checked out because the right brake was rubbing. Fortunately, we have a SIL who has a shop in Meridian and he checked it out for us. There was bolt loose next to the wheel.

That has been our day. Nothing much going on but that is a good thing. Smile
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:12 am

MM your casserole sounds yummy too! Unfortunately I'm having a hard time finding gluten free condensed soup. Sad

Lucky for you that your SIL could fix your brake issue and that it was a simple fix. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:28 am

I have had a pretty good day today. For supper we are having chicken with carrots and potatoes done in the crock pot. I can smell them cooking as I type and I'm getting hungry.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 am

Glad you had a good day Rohn. Smile I love crockpot meals, the only drawback is sitting home smelling the meal cooking all day long and getting more hungry as the day goes on. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:23 pm

I hope you all are doing well and staying warm. It's pretty chilly down this way. The temps are supposed to in the twenties again tonight and possibly the teens tomorrow night. For us that is COLD!

DH isn't feeling well. He thinks he's coming down with a sinus infection and I hope he right. If it's not his sinuses it's the flu.

We had a grilled sandwich with egg, ham and cheese for breakfast. I opened a can of chicken and rice soup for lunch and we had pineapple sandwiches for supper.

I plan to make us a big pot of chicken soup or stew tomorrow. Something to warm us up. Smile

DH finished the cabinet for our dining area. He took some cabinets out of the kitchen a few years ago to build a pots and pans pantry there. Last week DH took the lower cabinet and gave it a good cleaning, painted it, put another shelf in it and made a top using pallet planks. Now I have a cabinet in the dining area to keep the dishes in. The top will make a good serving table when we have company. DH said we have about $15.00 in paint and nails in the new piece. It may not be that much because he used leftover pieces of wood for the shelf and back. We looked at some pieces at flea markets that were selling for $250.00 up to $300.00. I think we got a deal. LOL
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm

MM, your new buffet server sounds very nice and should be very useful. Wink I'd say $15 for a server vs $250 is a very good deal.

I hope you are keeping warm and that your dh gets over whatever he has quickly.

It's supposed to be brutally cold here starting tonight through Friday morning. Wednesday's him is supposed to be 10°F with an overnight low of -8°F and Thursday's high is supposed to be 2°F after an overnight low of -12°F. Can you say BRRRRR! Those temperatures are actual air temperature not factoring in the wind chill. My ds will be working outside both Wednesday and Thursday evening. Sad
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 am

Thank you Patrice. DH is feeling better but isn't completely well yet.

We have a nasty day here. It's raining but this afternoon the rain is supposed to turn to ice and snow. The large pines in the edge of our yard look like they already have ice on them. Not a good thing with pine trees what with the electrical lines near the trees. We will probably end up with no power. YUCK!

I made wraps for breakfast this morning. Instead of salsa I used blueberry jam and then finished filling with sausage and scrambled eggs. I did this one day last week and DH enjoyed them enough to tell me how good they were. I'm not sure what we will have tonight. I need to get it done whatever it's going to be just in case we do lose power.

I hope you all are doing well and staying warm. Spring really is on it's way!

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:48 am

I haven't been on in a few weeks.  Not because I've been so busy but because I've been so "BLAH."   We've had loads of rain, a little snow, a little sleet (on a different day from the snow) and a very little sunshine.  Our yard is so wet that I'm afraid to go outside because I'm afraid I'll slip and fall.  We've also have had some very cold weather (VERY cold for the south) but the last two days we have had the front door standing open and it's been very comfortable.  I'm not fooling myself though.  I know spring hasn't "sprung" and there will be more cold weather.  

I am wanting to replant the bed we planted earlier in February.  It never did come up.  Well, the weeds did.

I hope you all are doing well and have gotten over the illnesses you had.  DH had a sinus infection and let it go until he was sick with it.  He finally went to the doctor and now is feeling much better.  I have been blessed this winter and have not had any infections at all.  Thank the Good Lord.  I have pretty much stayed at home because when I get a viral infection it will turn into pneumonia.  

We've been eating more soups and stews here lately.  It's easier to throw everything into one pot and let it cook.  Monday afternoon I cooked a roast with potatoes, carrots and onions.  We had yellow squash and butterbeans also.  After we finished eating I sliced some of the roast and cut the potatoes and carrots in chunks and put some of the butterbeans in the pot.  Today I added some whole kernel corn, green beans, tomatoes and catsup to the pot to make a beef stew.  That's what we're having tonight along with cornbread.  Any leftovers will go in the freezer.  Tomorrow I will use the rest of the roast to make tacos.  I'll made DH some Spanish rice to go with the tacos.  One not quite three pound roast will then be made into three meals.  More than that because there should be a couple of quarts of the stew to go in the freezer.  Feeling proud of myself.  Razz
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:56 am

We are big soup eaters here as well. It is so easy and so filling you can't go wrong.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 am

Nice job stretching that roast MM! I like soups and stews as well as casseroles for stretching a chunk of meat into many meals. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:15 am

I agree, soups and stews are the best!!
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 am

We've had a warm day here. The temp was 73 degrees at 5 o'clock. We still have the front door standing open. The last few days have been nice. We haven't had to turn on the heater for six or seven days. I like that.

Yesterday afternoon I planted some Swiss Chard in a flower pot and some lettuces in another pot. I have another pot I think I will plant some radishes in. After I planted the raised bed and nothing came up I decided to try again.

This morning I made what I call "garbage" for breakfast. I clean out any leftovers that can be added to bacon and eggs. I chopped the bacon up and fried it then added some green onions, leftover French fries and eggs (beaten). Then I sprinkled cheddar cheese on top of the eggs. Put them over a leftover tortilla and topped them with some sour cream (about time to expire). It's a scrambled up concoction but it was pretty good and the leftovers have been used.

We're having turkey sandwiches, chips, salsa, cake with peaches and soda for supper. Junk food tonight but we don't do this very often.

I hope you all are doing well and will have a wonderful week. Just a reminder....Spring will be here next Friday!!!!!!
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:21 am

We had grilled burgers and fries for supper. I used fresh beef and reheated some left over bacon on the grill then melted provolone, mozzarella, and "american" cheese on the burgers and topped them with the bacon. The fries were the last of the potatoes grown on the farm.

The temps here were in the upper 60's and we had sunshine!! That hasn't happened here in a while. Great day for sure.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:07 am

12acres your burgers sure sound good. My DH makes a better burger than I do. One of our daughters told me it is because I didn't have to cook it. LOL

It's a dreary day here. This is the third day of rain we've had but the temps are nice enough that we have the front door open.

Everything is greening up here. The seeds I planted in the flower pots are coming up. The lettuce looks good. The Swiss Chard is beginning to come up. No sign of the radishes or tomatoes yet.

I hope all of you are doing well and that spring has sprung in your areas too.

Our oldest daughter and her hubby were supposed to come eat lunch with us today. She called about 9:30 this morning and said DH niece was coming to their house and she had to stay home. She was pretty upset. She's been sick well over a month with the sinus crud and has a terrible cough. She teaches school and leaves the school around five o'clock most days plus she has several jobs at her church along with running to pick up parts for her DH. She's tired and she's sick and she was crying when she called me. Sure made me feel bad. I offered to cook the food and bring it to her but she said they'd get something. She's stubborn. She gets it honest. Smile It upset me to hear her cry. She doesn't do that very often.
They may grow up but they're always your babies and mommas never like to hear their children cry.

We had a sausage biscuit each for breakfast and we're having pork chops, baked beans, baked potatoes, green salad and a coconut pie I baked yesterday for our dinner tonight.

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 am

I forgot to tell you all that we went to a gender reveal party last Thursday evening for our grandson and his wife. They're having a little boy!!!!!!! Of course if it were a girl I would have said they're having a little girl!!!!!! LOL I think Alex was kind of hoping for a girl but Jonathan was happy it is a boy. They'd been happy either way. I just pray for a healthy baby and momma.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:16 am

Congratulations great grandma-to-be!!!! Wink Is this your first great grandchild?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Patrice, this is our first great grand. We are so excited.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Congratulations! I am sure everyone is very happy about the news.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:12 pm

MM when is the baby due?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:43 pm

Thank you Farmfresh.

Patrice, the baby is due August 30th.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:41 am

I hope you all are doing well and that spring has come to your area. We've had a beautiful day here today.

DH is working in the flowerbeds getting them cleaned out so we can plant some flowers and vegetables in it. I'm thinking we will plant as much garden as we can in there this year. I'm looking to plant squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, spaghetti squash, okra and anything else I can come up with. Then we'll also plant our raised beds.

Yesterday we spent the day in Jackson. DH had to be at the V.A. audiology department by 8:30 to have his hearing checked again. They've told him for years that he doesn't qualify for hearing aids but yesterday they told him things have changed and now he does qualify. On May 11th he is supposed to be fitted for hearing aids. I'm so happy and pray that they will work good for him. His hearing has not been very good for several years but he could hear. He could hear a whisper before he could hear loud noises. Now he can't hear much of anything.

I told someone if people came up in our yard they'd think all I did was scream at him. However, that is the only way I can make him hear me. I will have to learn to lower my voice once he has the hearing aids.

I also, had an appointment with the cornea specialist. Surgery for a cornea transplant and cataract surgery is scheduled for May 19th. I have to go the same day DH gets his hearing aids for the pre-op work up. I'm excited about the surgery too. The doc told me that I shouldn't have to wear glasses after the surgery except for reading.

We ate out yesterday for both meals. But today I have cooked. For breakfast we had bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. For dinner we're having meatloaf, baked potatoes and green salad.

Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mississippi Momma Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Happy Good Friday to you all.  I hope you all will have a very blessed day.

DH has the flowerbeds cleaned out and composted chicken manure on them.  I wanted to plant them today but we are predicted to have some bad weather today with heavy rains so we may wait until the first of next week.  We have some flower seeds that DH found when he was cleaning out a house for my BIL and sister.  I also plan to plant yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and some green beans to run on the fence.   We are about out of beans and peas in the freezer.  

DH bought some more canned biscuits (Grands) yesterday.  I am not too fond of canned biscuits and I think they're too expensive but he likes them and he deserves to have something he likes.  I guess I will bake them for breakfast this morning and cook some smoked turkey sausage to go in them.  We'll have coffee with that.  For dinner we will have open faced sandwiches made with leftover roast from last night along with fries and pudding for dessert.  I plan to make a coconut pie and a chocolate pie today also.  We'll have the pies for Sunday lunch.
Mississippi Momma
Mississippi Momma
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 34 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 30 ... 34  Next