Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood!

3 posters

Go down

WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! Empty WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood!

Post by Sonshine Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 am

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs019/1101818841456/archive/1103078102399.html

Christianity Today online says that vampires are hot stuff right now even for Christians.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! Empty Re: WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood!

Post by 7dawn Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 am

And this shocks you? I have always found vampires fascinating, especially when people believe they are actually vampiric. There is actually an underground in New Orleans, I believe....There is a rather large population of them there.

Oh, my fascination has more to do with the mentality of it but before I became a Christian I was totally into vampires and such.
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood! Empty Re: WARNING: There's No Power in This Blood!

Post by 7dawn Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 am

Okay, now I will comment on the actual article...LOL!

I partially agree with this article and partially disagree with it. All kids are obsessed with power and I would have to read the Christian novels they are talking about. I actually have one novel called Field of Blood by CJ Engle. I met him on the Dekker website after commenting on a book that was really dark in nature that someone was working on. He has a 3 book series and one of those has to do with vampirism. I have not read it yet. I am reading two other books right now and may start his next due to this topic.

If they are commenting on Twilight, the fascination I can see. It looks like an interesting series. I have not personally watched it. We read Christian novels every day that deal with dark and supernatural things. Take a look at Dekker.....For the most part you don't really know that his novels are Christian. They aren't overtly so for the most part. Yet, he has a huge following and if one visits his website they find out he is a Christian. He writes crossover novels. I see nothing wrong with this and would encourage more writers do so. There is an audience that needs that type of novel so we can reach those that are lost. Some may not pick up an overtly Christian novel but they would probably read a Dekker novel.

So, the article posted was written about Twilight, with only vague refrences to Christian novels that deal with vampirism...I agree, Twilight is not a Christ themed novel but it wasn't supposed to be. Parents need to watch what their children are doing and engage them in conversation concerning these matters. I can bet that the original fascination with the series had more to do with peer pressure and what all the other kids at school are watching. We can take this into the realm of video games and music also. I find it amazing some of the video games parents let their kids play or watch. There is no way I would have let either of my kids watch any of that stuff at such a young age. Due to the way I raised them, even at their age, they don't have anything to do with the violent games. They do play Star Wars online but it isn't anything like some of the horror games that people play and allow their children to play and watch. I do let them play Guitar Hero. So far, it has kept the nastier songs out of the equation and I have warned them if there is anything I come across that I find inappropriate it is gone.

So, one has to ask....Which is worse? You will have a genre of Christian kids into totally violent and horror ridden video games, a genre of kids into stuff like vampires and such, and a genre into some pretty vile secular music. Such is the way of kids. What does the Word say? "Raise up a child in the way he should go..." There are times that one has to be shown the total depravity of darkness in order for them to understand and see the true Light of the World who is Jesus Christ.

Okay, off my soap box! LOL
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 am

This is one point made in the article, "Christianity Today talks to Allen Arnold of Thomas Nelson Publishers. He states, "Since the story of Christianity is one of redemption, Christian fiction should depict that redemption regardless of the subject matter." In Ted Dekker's books he does depict redemption. He doesn't take something like vampirism and make it sound appealing to anyone. This is what concerns me about Christians getting caught up in things like this. How many kids that have been raised in Christian households were allowed to play with ouiji boards? I know I was. After all, it was sold by the same company that made so many of the board games we played. The Bible tells us in 1 Thess 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. In this day and age it seems like the lines are blurred between Christianity and secularism.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 am

But what books are they talking about? Like I said, I have to read Field of Blood so I cannot say for sure or not. I just think that there are things that people overreact with. They point to books but their kids are playing horrific video games or listening to bad music. It is like they get on a band wagon and get all in an uproar about one thing while the turn their back on another. Twilight is a secular novel. It was not written to depict Christianity. Here is another point...God never created us to die. That was not supposed to happen. It took Adam how many years to truly learn death. Vampirism, though satanic, depicts the immortality that we were originally created to experience. Unfortunately, it is waltzing with the devil, but I believe that is one of the reasons it seems so appealing and what kid doesn't want supernatural powers?
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

The problem is that Christian's are getting caught up in it even though it's secular. Now, you know me, I don't mind secular books, but I do have a problem with Christians getting so caught up in book like this. Yes, vampirism depicts immortality, but it's depicting it in a way other than showing the only true way to have everlasting life is through the blood of Jesus. I wish that more books were written that shows the supernatural powers to be had through Christ instead of satanic powers. Know what I mean? Then our kids would have an outlet. I think that's why I enjoy the Dekker books so much, as well as Frank Perriti. It gives kids that thrill, but leads back to Christ.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 7dawn Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 am

AHA!!!! I knew it! This is what was bothering me, but first I must make a correction in my original post. The author of the novel Field of Blood is Eric Wilson. He was one of the author's that I had a short chat with on Dekker's original website. It has since changed and I do not frequent is as much. I do not like the format. I follwed a couple of the links and Eric did an interview with Christianity Today. I did not read the entire interview. I will go back and do so. CJ Engle, the author I mentioned, writes more youth fiction and I have his book, which was really good.

I have that book and intend to read it (Field of Blood). If you go to Dekker's website you will find a number of aspiring writers that are pretty amazing and share their stuff as they are writing their novels. They are also quite dark in content. I remember one post asking people to read what one of the writers had written, I believe the topic was "What is too dark?" I read it and it was dark. Very dark, yet in that darkness light was depicted. If you can see even a pinpoint of light in the darkness then it is not to dark and if that light points to Jesus then the subject content should not matter as long as it is true to the Word.

By that I mean, if it does not distort the message of salvation through the blood of Christ the story should not matter, be it depicting vampires, witches, murder's....all those are dark subjects.

As far as Christian kids getting drawn in to it, remember, "Raise up a child in the way they should go and when they are older they will not depart from it." All kids go through stages, even Christian kids. It is the parents responsibility to keep tabs on what they allow their kids to read, watch and listen to. I am afraid the church doesn't really help in deterring Christian youth from that path.

Okay, I think I made some sense. I am not real sure how to put what I am trying to say into words and tend to get a bit circular in my writing. LOL
7dawn
7dawn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beanie Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:08 am

we had a couple of girls that went to the openings of those Twilight movies and were just ga-ga for them. They said it was just make believe so it was ok.

Isn't that the greatest lie! It's just what the enemy wants them to think!
Beanie
Beanie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 am

Beanie, I agree and Satan is striving to steal our kids. Parents have to be more vigilent in what they are allowing their children to be exposed to. Everything from music, video games, tv and books. Look at the fevor for Harry Potter. Like Dawn, I like Deker's writings. I think it gives kids an alternative.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down