Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Grow your own poultry feed EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Grow your own poultry feed EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Grow your own poultry feed EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Grow your own poultry feed EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Grow your own poultry feed

2 posters

Go down

Grow your own poultry feed Empty Grow your own poultry feed

Post by Sonshine Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 am

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/Grow-Poultry-Feed-What-Chickens-Eat.aspx?utm_content=02.17.10+SLCS&utm_campaign=SLCS&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

A home poultry flock can contribute to food security — if you're not totally dependent on purchasing poultry feed. Fortunately, the natural feeds you can produce in your backyard are what chickens would eat in the wild: green plants, wild seeds and animal foods, such as earthworms and insects. It's possible for free-range flocks of poultry to feed themselves if they have access to enough biologically diverse ground and protection from predators.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Grow your own poultry feed Empty Re: Grow your own poultry feed

Post by anna2020 Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm

my partner and i got 4 laying hens on the 28th sept,and were told they wouldn't start laying until november as they were only 16 weeks. but they started laying eggs like 2 weeks after we got them it was only like 2 eggs a day for the first week then it increased and now we are getting 10-15 eggs every second day, and we got eggs coming out of our ears we have over 120 eggs in the fridge (it takes two of these eggs to equal a store bought one.) but i was wondering what has made them wanna lay so much and is there any way to slow them down a bit?? plus my 2yr old daughter always chases them and picks them up and stuff. i use to worry her doing this would scare them out of laying eggs but it hasn't. so any ideas on how to slow them down would be appreciated. i mean they are absolutely delicious but our whole top shelf in our fridge is chockers full?? we talked about selling them for a dollar a dozen. but i feel silly about it.lol
==================
UPVC Doors|UPVC Front Doors

anna2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I don't know how to get them to not lay or slow down. Most people want them to lay more. Smile As for what to do with the eggs, selling them would be good, it helps to buy supplies if you don't raise your own feed. We sold eggs to some of the members of our church and never had to pay for feed out of pocket, plus got all the fresh eggs we could eat. Do you have any roosters? If so, you could always leave some of the eggs and see if any of your hens will sit on them. We haven't had much luck in that department yet, but we're still trying to learn. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down