» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Welcome to the Poultry Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welcome to the Poultry Forum

Post by Sonshine on Thu May 07, 2009 8:40 am

This is the place to come and share about your chickens, ducks, doves, quail, turkeys, well, you get the idea. Questions and answers or just interesting info is welcome. So come on, tell us what your fine feathered friends have been up to.
Sonshine
Admin

http://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome to the Poultry Forum

Post by Martha Anne on Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 am

Weeeel, the thang is.....I am trying to get ready for them. Right now, the only critter I have is a donkey. Coyotes are plentiful here so I got the donkey to help with that problem. I want to have everything in place before acquiring chickens, guineas (which I really need for tick control), ducks, geese, and maybe some turkeys. I am thinking Buff Orpingtons, tho I may go with a heritage breed. I definitely want a breed that will be broody, and produce both meat and eggs. Haven't raised chickens in quite a few years so will be looking for info from all of you, and maybe some of you might be near my area and thus will know the climate, etc. Blessings, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 am

What area are you in? I love my Buffs. I had Buff O's and RIR's.
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sat May 09, 2009 9:49 am

I am in the sw corner of Mid. TN. I had been meaning to ask you what part of Georgia you are in. I lived in Jones county, Ga. and in Lizella, Ga. for years. Still have friends in that area Blessings, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 am

We're not too far from Lizella. We live in Byron, Peach country. We've actually done some nursing home ministry in Lizella.
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sat May 09, 2009 9:59 am

Peach and pecan country, right? I spent a lot of time in Byron as I had friends there. they have moved and divorced and she lives in Gray, Ga. My favorite pastor ever lives in or near Warner Robins. His name is Jay Lauritsen and his wife is Sandra. If you ever get a chance to meet them, you won't be disappointed. They are fantastic and I still miss them. Blessings, M. A. in TN

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sat May 09, 2009 10:02 am

Yep, we are surrounded by peach and pecan trees. Joe is stationed at Robbins AFB. What church does your pastor friend pastor?
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKitty on Sat May 09, 2009 10:01 pm

I love my Buffs...But my production feds are the best egg layers...you can't hardly bet banties for broodiness and good mamas....I have raise many a batch of bittys via that banties....MissKitty
MissKitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sun May 10, 2009 12:16 am

Since I basically live alone (my 19 yo ds is mostly not here), I don't really need many eggs. I am opting for broody types like the buffs (also for their temperament) for meat, eggs and sustainability. I love to see the banties scurrying around the yards but they just don't suit my needs. I have been accused of really wanting chickens just to hear the rooster crow. Smile Blessings, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sun May 10, 2009 12:17 am

Sonshine, I can't remember the church, other than it is Baptist. He may be at Centerville, but am not sure now. Blessings, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 am

Martha Anne wrote:Since I basically live alone (my 19 yo ds is mostly not here), I don't really need many eggs. I am opting for broody types like the buffs (also for their temperament) for meat, eggs and sustainability. I love to see the banties scurrying around the yards but they just don't suit my needs. I have been accused of really wanting chickens just to hear the rooster crow. Smile Blessings, M. A.

We don't eat all the egss our ladies lay either. We sell some, and get enough to buy feed for them. They have truly become self-sufficient. Smile
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sun May 10, 2009 3:43 am

I plan to "pasture" my chickens as much as possible....healthier don'tcha know, and cheaper, and I is nuthin' if not ch.....errrr, frugal. Smile Blessings, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun May 10, 2009 3:45 am

If I "pastured" my chickens, my dogs would eat them for lunch. So, I try to protect them by keeping them in their run and coop.
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne on Sun May 10, 2009 3:49 am

Have you tried the chicken tractors? I haven't yet, but when I get a dog, if it is a problem, then that is what I will try first. Hopefully, since I want another great pyr and a puppy at that, I can raise it with the chickens, etc. so it will guard, not eat, my feathered, hairy or furry critters. Blessings, M. a

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Sun May 10, 2009 3:53 am

Haven't tried it yet, but have been looking at ideas on how to build one. Seems like there's just not enough hours in the day. Probably help if I stayed off the computer, huh? LOL
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 on Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 am

My hubby has built a couple chicken tractors. We lost close to 60 chickens by going camping at the creek down from the house. We came back and they were all over the yard and barn area. I raised RIR's until this year. I got the back wards barnyard special from cackle. I have alot of diffrent chickens in this group. We sell our eggs faster than we get them too. I will have to ee what chickens are best for what out of this group. I saw a chicken tractor made out of those old metal storage buildings with a little fenced in area off of it for the chickens to get out side. He put it on skids to move it and moves it with a 4 wheeler. I am going to take a pic next time I am over there. He is our local bee keeper where we got our bees from. You can get those buildings all day long from freecycle and people giving them away. Mine are made out of 2x4s and chicken wire with dog houses (again freecycle saves the day) in them for right now.
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissKitty on Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am

OldGrouch has built one that we have used and three in the making...they are awesome....I will ask him to post some pictures...they are a great thing but I like a stationary pen also...MissKitty
MissKitty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Mon May 11, 2009 10:58 am

How hard are they to get from the chicken tractor into a stationary pen? Right now we have their chicken run completely closed in, with wire over the top to prevent predators. The chicken house is basically a shed that has a cement floor. We lock them up at night with a fan going to keep the heat down. We haven't lost a single chicken in the year we've had them. So I like the idea of being able to lock them up at night.
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 on Mon May 11, 2009 11:08 am

I used a cooler on wheeles. We moved our little ones around with it. We just prop open the lid a little so they get air and roll them around. I got hot and hit my head on the chicken house roof a couple times but I got the job done.
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by adelia on Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 am

I just let my birds roam free. They go into the barn to roost at night, but all day they go wherever they please.

I have waaayyy too many chickens, but I love them. I currently have mostly rare heritage breeds and my broodiest are the Dominiques. THey are excellent mothers.

I also have Lakenvelders, Buttercups, White Wyandottes and RedCaps.

I feed extras eggs back to my birds. It's excellent 'free' protein and calcium.

adelia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top