Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Discerning Priorities, Day 4 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  recipes  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Discerning Priorities, Day 4

2 posters

Go down

Discerning Priorities, Day 4 Empty Discerning Priorities, Day 4

Post by Parsons Wife Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 am

Scriptures are taken from Luke 10:38-42 ~

The fourth day of discerning our priorities:

38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

The Message ~
38-40As they continued their travel, Jesus entered a village. A woman by the name of Martha welcomed him and made him feel quite at home. She had a sister, Mary, who sat before the Master, hanging on every word he said. But Martha was pulled away by all she had to do in the kitchen. Later, she stepped in, interrupting them. "Master, don't you care that my sister has abandoned the kitchen to me? Tell her to lend me a hand."

41-42The Master said, "Martha, dear Martha, you're fussing far too much and getting yourself worked up over nothing. One thing only is essential, and Mary has chosen it—it's the main course, and won't be taken from her."

I think there is much to be learned about this passage. As a female, I want to provide my guests with the best and this used to often mean getting things ready while folks are visiting. Being a Martha is common for women. Some fifteen years ago we had guests in our home and I was agonizing in the kitchen over the "perfect" meal. The wife came into the kitchen and gave me a wonderful lesson in hospitality. Hospitality has nothing to do with food, but with the presence and fellowship. Most who now come for a meal, there is a casserole or one pot meal rather than fifty-eleven different things. While I will use my best dishes I rarely "go to trouble" anymore, but rather do my best to make people feel at home and spend as much time with those in attendance as I can. The priority is the people, not the food.

Happy Thursday everyone Smile
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

http://elseacroft.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Discerning Priorities, Day 4 Empty Re: Discerning Priorities, Day 4

Post by Sonshine Thu May 21, 2009 12:12 pm

Good post. I still go to trouble, but make sure everything is ready when the guests arrive. But I have learned, the hard way, that if people "drop in" I no longer try to rush around picking up. I figure if they came to see my house, they deserve what they see, but if they came to visit with me, then I'm more than happy to sit with them and visit.

I think it's important to remember that that is what Jesus wants us to do, sit and visit with him. Don't get so preoccupied with all the pomp and circumstance. Sit and talk with him. Spend time with him. Other things can wait.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down