Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Discerning Priorities Day Five EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Sloppy  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Discerning Priorities Day Five

3 posters

Go down

Discerning Priorities Day Five Empty Discerning Priorities Day Five

Post by Parsons Wife Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 am

Discerning Priorities, Day Five ~ 1 Timothy 6:3-10

3If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, 4he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions 5and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

6But godliness with contentment is great gain. 7For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. 8But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 9People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction. 10For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

2-5These are the things I want you to teach and preach. If you have leaders there who teach otherwise, who refuse the solid words of our Master Jesus and this godly instruction, tag them for what they are: ignorant windbags who infect the air with germs of envy, controversy, bad-mouthing, suspicious rumors. Eventually there's an epidemic of backstabbing, and truth is but a distant memory. They think religion is a way to make a fast buck.

6-8A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough.

9-10But if it's only money these leaders are after, they'll self-destruct in no time. Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble. Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to regret it bitterly ever after.

Peterson refers to this scripture as the "Lust for Money". Interesting subtitle. But I really like his description of those leaders who don't teach the Word properly ! "....who infect the air with germs of envy, controversy, bad-mouthing, suspicious rumors." This results in "....an epidemic of backstabbing and truth is but a distant memory." I also really appreciate his words in verse 6-8A. If that were only the way we really live... But I am guilty of "stuff-itis".

Happy Friday everyone
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

http://elseacroft.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Discerning Priorities Day Five Empty Re: Discerning Priorities Day Five

Post by Sonshine Fri May 22, 2009 11:48 am

Very good post, especially in the age of prosperity preaching. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with folks who have been blessed financially. What I do think is wrong is the way of thinking so many have fallen into. Giving only expecting to receive monetary blessings from God. I've seen people praying for things like huge homes and expensive cars, instead of praying for their fellow man. It's like they think of God as a genie in the bottle. We need to keep our eyes on the treasures stored up in heaven rather than what we can get here.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Parsons Wife Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm

If you ever go on a true mission trip into a 3rd world country and live, eat and sleep with the people you will soon learn how much we have and how disgusting it really is. Our treasures here are in our people! That is why coming together as "the church" is so important and being inter-dependent is what makes the "church", "the church". While every organized group has its issues, it's what God ordained for here and it really is the best thing going. Today is my 54th birthday, opps, I just looked at the clock... YESTERDAY was my 54th birthday and I had a number of young folks from my "blood-bought" family send me "happy birthday momma" wishes. Even one of the four year olds called to wish me one. All day I received good wishes in the mail, on the phone, in person, on the internet... you name it ~ from Christian friends and family. I'll be spending eternity with these folks. It'd do me well to appreciate them in the here and now. It'll be less I have to learn later. There's the treasure. Don't know what I'd do without the church family! Love, J
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Although I've never lived in a third world country, I have learned a lot about losing everything. I lost my home and my first two kids in a housefire back in 1976. It makes you realize that the material things don't mean anything. I did wish you a happy birthday in the general homesteading section, but let me also wish you a belated happy birthday here. I'm glad that you had so many well wishes. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Fri May 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Can you give example of preachers or organized religons that fit your closing remarks,so that I may better understand?
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Discerning Priorities Day Five Empty Discerning Priorities Day 5

Post by Parsons Wife Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 pm

squeezinby wrote:Can you give example of preachers or organized religons that fit your closing remarks,so that I may better understand?

Not absolutely sure what you are asking, but will assume that it is about those leaders. Of course, preachers are human, so I can't say "this or that church or preacher", but we all know leaders... teachers.... that sew discord. I can give examples. I knew a woman who a leader in a church. She was jealous of a new person who was gifted in an area where she was leader. So, her way of eliminating the threat was to speak unkind words about her to a few chosen gossips. Those words grew into accusations and since the new person was "new" everyone believed the bad things.

Another example. The "somebody said" issue. Some years ago on the evening of Love Feast, I was told by a leader in a church that I had, unknowingly, offended "somebody". When my husband and I pushed to be told "who" the "somebody" was they said they "couldn't say". I was so upset! I felt I could not take communion that evening so stayed home. It is the only one I have missed since 1983. In true repentance and innocence, I made a blanket apology the next Sunday morning. That was a mistake. It put doubt about my integrity in the minds of those who "love" a good issue and resulted in a real mess. I learned several years later there never was a "Somebody" that was offended ~ only a "somebody" that took a real dislike to me and that was... that leader.

Leaders in churches can be those chosen or those assumed. It's not often the pastor.

I hope I have made sense. We must realize that there are tares in the wheat and the Holy Spirit will give us the discernment to tell the difference if we only ask and pay attention.

Blessings, Janet
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Janet,
You have made perfect sense to me. It seems every church has at least one person is there to cause trouble or divisions.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Fri May 22, 2009 11:14 pm

I have had some bad expereinces in the church that I go too now. I think it is because of my background that people keep trying to set me up to say or do even just the smallest of things. So that they can have something bad to say about me. I know who I am with God and it doesn't always match up with what they think I should be doing in the church. I have had people asking me questions about if or when I will be leaving the church, just because I moved out of town. I have had even a preachers wife tell me to do one thing and someone else in the church come up to me and question what I was doing. When I told them that I was told by preachers wife to do it, they said they went and asked her and that she denied ever telling me to do it. I told them that I was sorry for the enconvence or sorrow it may have caused them, and told them that I would have never done it if I was not told to. They try to get me to talk against others in the church, And I have had my words twisted beond beliefe. What do I do, I know God has brot me to this church and I don't want to leave unless it is Gods will. I pray all the time for these people. I think they may be afraid. I don't know. I know I get so flustrated with these people that I have to limit my contact with them on a personal basis. And yes these people are in leadership roles as am I.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by Parsons Wife Sat May 23, 2009 12:27 am

These kinds of situations are what give "Christians" a "bad name". Scripture is pretty clear with what to do with individuals. As a PW myself, I would want you to come to me and tell me what is going on so we, together, could fix it. BUT, I know of situations where this backfires horribly. I don't get it, personally, but I know it happens. I'm truly sorry this has happened to you. I cannot say it hasn't happened to me, because it has. But, as is said, no one can hurt you like your "family". Nevertheless, based on your above posting, I would prayerfully ask the Lord to either fix it or move you on. Limiting contact with our family is never the answer to conflict. It's the result of. I will pray for your situation knowing there are thousands just like yours. We have been blessed these 7 years to be in a church where love is abundant. Yes, we have folks who back bite and slander, but they are a minority and can be dealt with. By and large they are wonderful.. and I have been in places where it was just the opposite. God is good!! He'll either change them, us or the situation and any of the 3 is usually good medicine for us. <3
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Sat May 23, 2009 12:37 am

Yes, I have been praying about the situation. And am still waiting for answer. It is sad and It's not a matter of them hurting my feelings,it's more of a matter that they are getting in the way of what God has brought me here to do. It's kinda like when one of the prophets in the bible would try to tell Gods people what God wants them to do and they won't listen.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by Parsons Wife Sat May 23, 2009 12:57 am

My experience? The only folks who like change (even if it's God desiring it) are babies who want a change in diapers. Otherwise change is agony.
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

Back to top Go down

Post by squeezinby Sat May 23, 2009 1:09 am

LOL Thanks. I think your right.
squeezinby
squeezinby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content