Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Seasoning  recipes  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

5 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am

My ds planted my raspberries this afternoon and I got the plastic on the other hoophouse frame. Now I've got 2 beds covered and ready for planting. I'm going to get some of my cool season crop seeds started tomorrow.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by Farmfresh Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:19 pm

I am still trying to get my onions planted. Sounds like your garden project is really moving along well this year.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I've still got white onions to plant, the red ones were missed last Fall so I split them and replanted most of them. I still have about 5 to split that should give me another 20 or so. I'm going to dedicate a bed to the rest of the onions and add the leeks and shallots (I bought seeds for starting them). It's a smaller bed, maybe 3'x4',I had originally set it up for strawberries but changed my mind and grew my zucchini there last year.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:54 am

I got my shallots, leeks, carrots, celery, kohlrabi, turnips, rutabaga, and parsnips seeds planted today. I'm hurting badly but I forced myself to get them planted as we are supposed to get rain for the next 2-3 days. I also found 2 new little metal rakes at Aldi for $3 each. They are actually kids garden tools, but they are perfect for my raised beds.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:30 pm

I received my Goji bush and my Hansen's cherry bushes last week, on April 3rd. They are small and will take a good amount of time before they mature enough to produce any fruit. One of the cherry bushes had damaged roots, it's main root was bent during shipping and actually broke completely off when I unpacked it. I'll have to see if it will grow. I'm NOT thrilled with the condition of the plants I received and probably won't waste my time or money ordering from Gurney's again. Sad

I don't care for the packaging materials that their seeds are packed in either. They are in thin uncoated paper envelopes that are difficult to open and cannot be resealed.

The rose bush was of decent quality and size for the price, but the other live plants did not meet my expectations. With that said, I'll update their growth during this year. If I have time today and it isn't raining I'll take some pictures of the plants I received so I have a base to judge their growth against.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the plants. Hopefully they will grow and do fine despite the damage
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 pm

You might also send those pictures and a letter to Gurney explaining your disappointment. Maybe they will stand behind their products. ??
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:49 pm

I didn't think to take a picture of the broken roots and I've already planted them.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 am

Sorry to hear this I was hoping they would be great. I was planing on ordering from them next year. I guess I will stick with Stark Bro's.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:54 am

Stark Bros is definitely a better choice Chad.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:51 am

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 20150410

These are my cherry bushes, sorry they are hard to see.
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 20150411

These are my Goji berries, the one in the middle with the green on it is the one I bought at Meijer. Unfortunately the cold has done a number on that one. Sad The one on the right is the one I received from Gurney's.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:43 am

I bought some Yukon Gold and Red Northland seed potatoes this morning at Menard's. They are 5# bags and were on sale 2/$9. I'm going to grow them in my homemade grow bags that I sewed out of heavyweight landscape fabric.

I also picked up new 16" pots to transplant my blueberries and Goji berries into because I can't seem to get my ground acidic enough for them. I'm also going to plant some strawberries in a couple more pots.

I was out checking the yard this morning after the storm and spotted the tips of some of my asparagus peeking out of the ground.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:36 am

My ds helped me get the trellis netting up on the canopy frame for the morning glories and moonflowers to climb up and over.
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 20150412
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:50 am

That should provide a lot of nice shade this summer.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 pm

I sure hope it does. I'm planning to plant one bucket at each of the six legs of the canopy frame so there should be plenty of vines. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 pm

I REALLY need more sleep to have a fully functional brain. I returned the planters I bought yesterday and had the store ORDER the ones that are on sale, the ones I really wanted. Don't know why I didn't think to have them ordered yesterday.

I ran to Home Depot and bought 6 bags of miracle grow garden soil this morning. Then got home and realized I needed 12 bags so I'll be sending my ds back to the store for 6 more in a little while. I needed 6 bags for the planters and 6 for planting the potatoes in the grow bags. Duh! I'd be scary if I actually used my brain.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:25 am

I spent several hours cleaning out leaves and dead plants from along the back and side fence planting areas. My peonies and starting to come up. Smile I got the blackberry bed cleaned up and ready to add a few more plants. My magnolia is blooming. Smile
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 3 20150413
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 am

I have a magnolia too, but mine is a saucer type. It is almost finished with it's bloom this year.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

On Saturday I picked up some Jobes fruit tree fertilizer spikes and my ds pounded them in the ground for me yesterday. I've never used them before, I used to just feed the trees chicken manure tea but since I don't have the chickens any longer I figured I try the spikes.

I also picked up some shallot bulbs to give those a try as well. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I think I know what I want to try a do with the 55 gallon blue barrel that was used as a pool cover float. I'm going to try making one of those pocket style planters that has 45 pockets cut into the sides and you still have room to plant at the top as well.

I'm thinking of filling it with strawberries and see how they grow. It should be minimal maintenance as far as weeding goes and harvesting should be easier too.

I have to sew my landscape grow bags for my potatoes this week. I still need to figure out where I'm going to be placing the bags in my yard once I get them ready. In the past I've grown the potatoes on my gravel driveway but my neighbor's maple tree has gotten huge that they won't get enough sun in that location any longer. Sad I'm thinking I'll have to set up a pallet or two in what is becoming very limited space behind my garage/garden area. The place I'm thinking of using will need a bit of work to get it a bit more level but it just might work out ok. Wink

I also want to get started on the new horseshoe flower garden this week. I've got the top soil bags sitting in the space. I just need to do a bit of weeding and some leveling of the area before I can spread out the dirt and my seeds.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 pm

I saw a video of a guy making one of those. He recommended using a heat gun to soften the plastic when he cut and formed the pockets.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:21 am

Please let us know how the pocket barrel turns out. I need to do something different with my strawberries. The place I have them used to be grass, and I am having trouble with the grass trying to come back.

Have you ever grown sweet potatoes in the grow bags? I have tried every trick I can find, but they just don't do any good here. I had never heard of grow bags until a few days ago, and now I am thinking they may be the way to go, or at least something else to try.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:02 am

Chad I haven't grown sweet potatoes in bags before but they probably would do fine in them.

This year I'm NOT sewing the bottom of my bags closed, I'm going to use a zip tie/tie wrap for easier harvest in that Fall. Basically I'm sewing a tube out of landscape fabric.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 am

They grow ornamental varieties of sweet potato in large planters all around the shopping area adjacent to where my hubby works. He is friends with the landscaper that is in charge of those planters and they guy says they get a huge pile of potatoes at the end of each season. They are edible, but they usually just discard them because they were only grown for ornamental purposes.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:20 am

I grew sweet potatoes in containers last year. It worked quite well and was so easy to harvest them.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next