Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

5 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:13 pm

I REALLY need more sleep to have a fully functional brain. I returned the planters I bought yesterday and had the store ORDER the ones that are on sale, the ones I really wanted. Don't know why I didn't think to have them ordered yesterday.

I ran to Home Depot and bought 6 bags of miracle grow garden soil this morning. Then got home and realized I needed 12 bags so I'll be sending my ds back to the store for 6 more in a little while. I needed 6 bags for the planters and 6 for planting the potatoes in the grow bags. Duh! I'd be scary if I actually used my brain.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 Empty Re: Patrice's Patch Garden Journal

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:25 am

I spent several hours cleaning out leaves and dead plants from along the back and side fence planting areas. My peonies and starting to come up. Smile I got the blackberry bed cleaned up and ready to add a few more plants. My magnolia is blooming. Smile
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150413
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 am

I have a magnolia too, but mine is a saucer type. It is almost finished with it's bloom this year.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:58 pm

On Saturday I picked up some Jobes fruit tree fertilizer spikes and my ds pounded them in the ground for me yesterday. I've never used them before, I used to just feed the trees chicken manure tea but since I don't have the chickens any longer I figured I try the spikes.

I also picked up some shallot bulbs to give those a try as well. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I think I know what I want to try a do with the 55 gallon blue barrel that was used as a pool cover float. I'm going to try making one of those pocket style planters that has 45 pockets cut into the sides and you still have room to plant at the top as well.

I'm thinking of filling it with strawberries and see how they grow. It should be minimal maintenance as far as weeding goes and harvesting should be easier too.

I have to sew my landscape grow bags for my potatoes this week. I still need to figure out where I'm going to be placing the bags in my yard once I get them ready. In the past I've grown the potatoes on my gravel driveway but my neighbor's maple tree has gotten huge that they won't get enough sun in that location any longer. Sad I'm thinking I'll have to set up a pallet or two in what is becoming very limited space behind my garage/garden area. The place I'm thinking of using will need a bit of work to get it a bit more level but it just might work out ok. Wink

I also want to get started on the new horseshoe flower garden this week. I've got the top soil bags sitting in the space. I just need to do a bit of weeding and some leveling of the area before I can spread out the dirt and my seeds.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:33 pm

I saw a video of a guy making one of those. He recommended using a heat gun to soften the plastic when he cut and formed the pockets.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:21 am

Please let us know how the pocket barrel turns out. I need to do something different with my strawberries. The place I have them used to be grass, and I am having trouble with the grass trying to come back.

Have you ever grown sweet potatoes in the grow bags? I have tried every trick I can find, but they just don't do any good here. I had never heard of grow bags until a few days ago, and now I am thinking they may be the way to go, or at least something else to try.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:02 am

Chad I haven't grown sweet potatoes in bags before but they probably would do fine in them.

This year I'm NOT sewing the bottom of my bags closed, I'm going to use a zip tie/tie wrap for easier harvest in that Fall. Basically I'm sewing a tube out of landscape fabric.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 am

They grow ornamental varieties of sweet potato in large planters all around the shopping area adjacent to where my hubby works. He is friends with the landscaper that is in charge of those planters and they guy says they get a huge pile of potatoes at the end of each season. They are edible, but they usually just discard them because they were only grown for ornamental purposes.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:20 am

I grew sweet potatoes in containers last year. It worked quite well and was so easy to harvest them.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 04, 2015 4:22 am

I weeded and planted two of my raised beds. I got all the vegetable plants that I bought yesterday put in today. I put the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower in one bed and the 2 varieties of tomatoes in the other. I put the red and yellow peppers in my buckets.

I got all the hanging baskets planted but had a disaster with one of the baskets. I had planted the seeds and went to straighten the chain when all of a sudden the chain came apart. The entire contents of the basket wound up on the ground. I was so upset, I wanted to cry.

I need to pick up some chain to loop over the canopy frame to hold the baskets, the hooks won't fit over the pipe.

I also managed to get the rest of the lawn patch stuff put down in the dog's winter potty places and the rest of the spot the wood pile occupied.

I'm beat and my back is SCREAMING. I "think" that I may have over done it just a little bit.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 04, 2015 4:31 am

I forgot to post this yesterday, I bought some flowers and planted them in my old washtub out front . I put in light pink geraniums, pale yellow petunias and a spike plant. I'll have to take a picture next time I go out front.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Mon May 04, 2015 5:18 am

You were busy. I hope you can take the evening and just rest.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 04, 2015 10:16 am

I went back out around 5 p.m. and planted the 3 cherry bushes in their permanent home. When I received them I put them in a large planter just so they wouldn't die. They actually have started growing already. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue May 05, 2015 4:08 am

Here's the washtub I planted on Saturday.
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150510
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue May 05, 2015 7:07 am

Very pretty!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue May 05, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks FF
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 08, 2015 9:01 am

Here's the baskets hanging and ready for the vines to start growing.
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150511
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Fri May 08, 2015 9:19 am

That is going to look really nice when the plants get going. I can't wait!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 am

I hope it fills in really nicely. I planted 5 moonflower and 7 morning glory seeds per basket in four baskets. In the other four baskets I planted 12 or 13 morning glory seeds, half blue and half pink. I can't wait for them to start growing.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue May 12, 2015 3:42 am

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150512

Some of the morning glory seeds have sprouted already. Smile
Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150513

My peppers have doubled in size since I planted them last week.

Patrice's Patch Garden Journal  - Page 4 20150514

My last surving rhubarb plant.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun May 17, 2015 8:37 pm

I got outside this morning before my dh gets up and transplanted my broccoli and cauliflower starts. Unfortunately I didn't get the peppers transplanted because the rain has returned.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 am

My ds and I created 2 new 20ft long potato beds where the flower garden/burn pit is going in. I was going to grow the potatoes in landscape fabric bags but I haven't had time to sew them. We laid down cardboard, then spread bagged garden soil on the cardboard, then the potatoes and topped them with bagged top soil. I'll either add more soil and then straw to finish them as soon as they start growing. I'll have to purchase a few bales of straw for coving them. I planted Yukon Gold and Red Norland varieties, both are mid-season types.

I also transplanted my broccoli and cauliflower starts into my grow buckets this morning. I still need to transplant the peppers I started from seed.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun May 24, 2015 12:20 pm

I spent a couple hours pulling thistles/sticker bushes from all the garden beds. I had 2 (55 gallon) black contractor bags full of them. I still have other weeds that need to be pulled but I'm waiting for the rain that's coming to loosen them up. Wink

I was out checking my fruit trees and found my apricot had a limb that cracked off. Sad It appears that the rain/snow had been settling in the "crotch" of the limb/trunk and it rotted. The sap was rock hard so it must have been bad for some time. We had high winds last week and appears they caused the limb to twist and cracked it off. Sad I hope the tree will survive, this is one of the new ones that I ordered last year.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun May 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Too bad about your tree. No I hope that it is able to recover.

I need to go a weed whacking and digging again. I have lots in my backyard fence row that need cleaned.

Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next