Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Best Herbs for Pain Relief EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Best Herbs for Pain Relief

2 posters

Go down

Best Herbs for Pain Relief Empty Best Herbs for Pain Relief

Post by Sonshine Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:21 pm

http://www.herbcompanion.com/health/the-best-herbs-for-pain-relief.aspx?utm_content=8.11.09+HBC+eNews&utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_source=iPost&utm_medium=email

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of visiting the home of a gracious woman who deals in antiques. As I admired the many fine pieces displayed there, I came to realize that I, too, am something of a period piece—a baby boomer who’s fundamentally sound but sporting the odd creaky hinge or two.
Fortunately, the herbal apothecary holds promise. Its medicines are good alternatives to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for chronic, mild to moderate aches and can reduce the need for prescription drugs.

More than 100 plants are known to have pain-relieving properties, but some are really outstanding. Reporting on herbal painkillers for arthritis, a review of clinical trials in the Clinical Journal of Pain says devil’s claw (Harpagophytum procumbens), capsaicin from hot chiles (Capsicum spp.), gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) from seed oils, and certain blended herbal extracts are especially good. Other studies indicate broader pain-relieving benefits from these as well as two traditional favorites, white willow (Salix spp.) and peppermint (Mentha piperita).

RELATED CONTENT
Green Pepper Basil:Corn Soup with Green Pepper Basil
Madalene Hill grows more than two dozen varieties of basil in Round Top, Texas. Green pepper basil...

Natural Healing. Arnica Montana: Natural Magic
Noch mal!” says Herr Gehring, pouring more beer. “Have another!” My husband and I don’t protest. Wh...

Got that zing?: Pain D'Epice
Warming ginger jazzes up winter foods....

Sit Back and Relax: Scentural Stress Relief
Give these wonderfully relaxing bath salts as a gift or save them for yourself and indulge in some ...
Herbal Rx: Devil’s Claw and Capsaicin
Devil’s claw is a South African herb with medicinally active roots. This herb eases muscular tension or pain in the back, shoulders and neck. A popular treatment for osteoarthritic pain, it may ease rheumatoid arthritic pain as well. The herb’s active ingredients are harpagide and harpagoside, both iridoid glycosides with analgesic (pain-relieving) and anti-inflammatory actions. Devil’s claw extract has been shown to reduce osteoarthritic hip or knee pain by 25 percent and improve mobility within a few weeks. Rheumatoid arthritic pain may also be reduced and mobility enhanced within about two months. Devil’s claw extract is considered safe at the typical dosage of 750 mg (containing 3 percent iridoid glycosides) taken three times daily. It is also available as tincture (use 1 teaspoon up to three times daily) and tea. It should not be taken with blood-thinning medications and may not be safe during pregnancy or for young children, nursing mothers and individuals with liver or kidney disease, or digestive system ulcers.

Capsaicin puts the heat in hot peppers. It manipulates the body’s pain status by hindering pain perception, triggering the release of pain-relieving endorphins and providing analgesic action. Commercial capsaicin-containing creams such as Zostrix, Heet and Capzasin-P are used topically for arthritic and nerve pain. Creams containing .025 percent capsaicin can significantly reduce osteoarthritic pain when applied to joints four times daily. A higher concentration of .075 percent works best for peripheral nerve pain—such as that from diabetic nerve damage, HIV and pain following cancer surgery. When using topical capsaicin products, be sure to avoid touching your eyes and other sensitive areas.

Capsaicin also can be taken internally to help with chronic digestive discomfort, or dyspepsia: A daily dose of 0.5 to 1 grams cayenne, divided and taken before meals, reduces pain, bloating and nausea over a few weeks. If you like to munch hot peppers, rest assured that they do not aggravate stomach ulcers as is commonly believed, and they actually might protect your stomach from prescription-drug damage.

Follow link for the rest of the article, it's worth it.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Best Herbs for Pain Relief Empty Re: Best Herbs for Pain Relief

Post by Marie Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for this article.. I have good days and bad days with muscle aches, and have been thinking about herbs..
Marie
Marie

http://www.triparoundsun.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Best Herbs for Pain Relief Empty Re: Best Herbs for Pain Relief

Post by Sonshine Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:49 pm

Me too, although it seems like the bad days are winning out lately. Sad
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down