Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed...

2 posters

Go down

Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... Empty Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed...

Post by beccachow Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:00 am

OK, here are some Horse Whisperer tricks. I have done these with my horses and do get some awesome results.

1. The Neck Stroke: start at the top of his neck, where you would give a shot. Slowly and firmy rub your hand downward towards his wither. This is something Mother Horses do to their babies.

2. He who moves his feet first is the loser. Period, bottom line. You do not see the herd leader allowing other horses to push him around. Stand in front of him and push one finger into his chest, firmly, saying "Back." He should respond to the pressure and back up. As soon as he gives even one hoof back, let go of his chest. His reward is to not have you pushing his chest. You have won, you made him back up. He moved his feet first. YOU WIN! I do this with all my horses, all the time just to keep them aware of the fact that I Rule.

3. The yield. Horse is being a pain, stand by his barrel about where you would saddle him. Pull his head towards you whilke pushing his back end with a command, I use "Give, give." Look at his back feet as he yields; if he crosses his back legs over each other, that is a submissive yield. If he sort of bunny hops around, that is not a submissive yield. You can do this any time the horse is being a pain, they HATE going backwards and they HATE circles. They will soon learn that just standing quietly is the best choice.

4. Make the right choice easy and the wrong choice hard. Demand that he stand. If he moves his feet towards you or anything other than a shift of feet, back him or make him yield and demand stand again. This command is imperative for him to learn.

5. The mouth trick. This is cool. Put you finger in your horse's mouth, where the bit would go and slowly stroke downward. his head will drop and he will begin chewing, this is a sign that he is responsive to you.

6. Head Stroke: Start up at the top of his head at his forelock and gently,feather light, stroke downward.

7. Head Down. A horse with his head down is a calm horse. If you can get his head down, you have a submissive horse ready to learn and listen. I never use the halter to demand this, I put my fingers in front of their nose and say "Head down, Relax" as I rub my fingers and move my hand down. They are curious and will follow your hand til their head is down. Then you can try some of these other tricks!

8. Belly rub: right around their umblical cord, rub. Some horses hate this, so watch his ears and head.

9. Share a breath: watch horses in the field. They greet each other by touching noses...they are really sharing a breath together. AFter your horse is calm and relaxed, out your nose and moth near to his and breath out slowy into his nostril. He should respond by quietly sharing a breath.

10: Groom Him! Take your fingers and scratch him along the wither, his back, places he can't reach.

These are some secrets to how a "whisperer" can calm a wild horse quickly. These excercises give the horse the understanding that in your "herd," you are leader.

The biggest secrect is this: YOU end the session. Leave the horse wanting more. For instance, "groom" him, and leave before he does. Always end the session youself.

Gosh, I hope the 'puter doesn't eat this...
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... Empty Re: Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed...

Post by amybyrd21 Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:04 am

How do you put a lead on their halters when they are being a butt. Bell decided I was not going to lead her any where this weekend. I was going to try the fingers in the chest and she would not let me get near here with the lead rope.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed... Empty Re: Horse Whisperer Secrets Revealed...

Post by beccachow Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 pm

If you can get the lead rope around her neck, like toss it over her neck holding the other end, a lot of horses settle down and think they are "caught." Food in a bucket might work, a bit of grain and while she is eating snap the lead line on. Make her work for that grain, though...put your hand out to make her stand if only for 2 seconds, then allow her the grain. Now you have established that you, as HErd Leader, control the food, just like the lead mare would. Let her finish her grain and get to work! Bell's whole issue is a lack of respect for you guys. You said she turned her butt to you and tried to poop on you, turning her butt to you is a big time nono. You can do this, though, you really can. MIne walk all over me and I need to do these things to remind them that I am Herd Leader.

Maybe try some of these tricks just standing with her without the lead rope. Some of them are bonding excercises for you guys.

Once you get the lead on, don't pull straight forward, lead off to the side so she has to move a foot to get her balance. Then you won again, she moved a hoof. When leading her, turn your back to her and just walk, expecting she will follow. Don't turn back to look at her, just walk. If she refuses, "shank her," (pull down very sharply on the lead rope so it jerks her head and makes a clanging sound with the buckle and halter), then turn and start walking again. If she refuses again, back her up, turn, and walk again. Have a verbal cue, "walk on" is a good one, make sure you are all using the same cue.

A great idea is this one, horses cannot resist. Walk out to her, stand about 10 feet away from her with your back to her and just stand there. I can give you money that she will approach you. When she does, "invite" her into your space and do some of the bonding tricks, then leave with her relaxed and wanting more. These excercises might need to happen before you can get a lead on her. But I guarantee this: once you establish these very simple rules with her, you will no longer be wary of her and she will respect you and WANT to be with you.
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:29 pm

5. The mouth trick. This is cool. Put you finger in your horse's mouth, where the bit would go and slowly stroke downward. his head will drop and he will begin chewing, this is a sign that he is responsive to you.
I am going to try again this afternoon when hubbyis at home with my son but I am not trying No 5 right away lol. I just do not want to lose any fingers just yet.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beccachow Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:35 pm

It's really not a matter of her liking/disliking you, it's all about respect. Try the "head down, relax" with her, the rubbing fingers under her nose while lowereing your hand so her head follows? As soon as her head is down, speak softly to her and try the head stroke or just scratch her in a good place, then walk away. All she will think is that she is relaxed around you (a horse with his head down is a relaxed, calm horse). If you see her start that chewing motion at any time during these tricks, it is a good sign that she is thinking and listening to you.

You can DO this!!!
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by beccachow Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm

The mouth trick: I meant to say stroke downward on his tongue. Sounds gross, works like a charm. That head should drop and the chewing should start, immediately move on to something else to keep her in a relaxed state.

You're putting your fingers in the flat part of their teeth, where the bit would go...no teeth! It's a flat area of gum called the bars (I think?) with no teeth at all, and you can stick your finger in their all day long and she can't bite you.
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by beccachow Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:24 am

Amy, how did it go?

The idea behind these tricks is that all the horse will know is that he feels relaxed around you. He's not smart enough to put it together that your actions are forcing him to relax, he just knows he feels good and relaxed around you. When dealing with these oversized monsters, remember 2 things: he who moves his feet first loses and a horse with his head down is relaxed. Think about when they charge at you or do something stupid around you, that head is always up, sometimes even elevated, the eyes are usually kind of wild as well. A horse with his head dropped is incapable of any antics (except maybe biting) so if you see his head raise again, drop it back down.

I just want to help you out with that silly but so pretty little paint of yours; I said it before, it's not that she dislikes you, it's that so far, she thinks you are "beneath her" in the pecking order. You can change that pretty quickly with the most basic of things.

Another idea to drill it home to her is to have her food but not allow her to get to it right away. I'd wait a bit until you are more confident, but put grain in her bucket and keep shoo-ing her away. The herd Leader, actually the Alpha Mare, decides who gets to eat and when, so this is horse language as well.

Oh, and one more thing, a safety thing. I have a "patented" move (lol) that I call "Act Big" that I use when someone makes me uneasy, or is galloping straight at me, or whatever. Puff out your chest, stand as straight as you can, lift your arms out just above shoulder level and "think big" while stepping toweards them. Flap your arms a bit for added effect, and speak in a stern loud voice, "Go" or whatever cue you guys are using to mean "back off." In fact, "Back Off" is a pretty good cue! The horse will usually give in in order to get away from the crazy Bird Lady yelling at it.

You and your hubby need to be sure you are using the same verbal cues for everything. What do you guys use to cue the horse to walk, to stand, to back up, yield his hindquarters, and to leave the area?

OK, I'll stop now. You and Bell are weighing heavily on my mind. Just start slowly with some of the grooming with your fingers and such (this incidentally is good in another way, only the Herd Leader initiates grooming so it sets in her mind that you are above her).
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:55 am

I got her to let me pet her and put the lead on this week but that is about it. She stuborn attitude is no better she will not move now lol. She has the same attitude as my daughter lol. We are working thru it but itis going to take time. Right now she is out running in the rain and stepping up her feet.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beccachow Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:49 am

Take your time, any step forward is a good step.
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down