Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Some Scriptures for thought EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Some Scriptures for thought EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Some Scriptures for thought EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Some Scriptures for thought EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Sloppy  recipes  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Some Scriptures for thought

+2
Sonshine
Parsons Wife
6 posters

Go down

Some Scriptures for thought Empty Some Scriptures for thought

Post by Parsons Wife Fri May 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Our church is involved in a Springs of Living Water renewal initiative and we are working through the disciplines based on Richard Foster's book Celebration of Discipline. This month we are looking at Simplicity with this week's emphasis being on Living in God's Abundance. I'll be sharing each day's scriptures with hope we can discuss them some. So here goes for Friday with my line of thought at the bottom:

Mark 12:41-44 in NIV and The Message

41Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny.
43Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."

41-44Sitting across from the offering box, he was observing how the crowd tossed money in for the collection. Many of the rich were making large contributions. One poor widow came up and put in two small coins—a measly two cents. Jesus called his disciples over and said, "The truth is that this poor widow gave more to the collection than all the others put together. All the others gave what they'll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn't afford—she gave her all."

This is SO living in God's abundance. How many of us ever, I mean ever, give to the church "extravagantly" what (we) can't afford? I, for one, really want to live in God's abundance and let HIm worry about the details. Blessings, Janet
Parsons Wife
Parsons Wife

http://elseacroft.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Some Scriptures for thought Empty Re: Some Scriptures for thought

Post by Sonshine Fri May 08, 2009 1:33 pm

I agree, and will take it one step further. I don't think it's just money we should give, but give abundantly of our time.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by beccachow Fri May 08, 2009 2:01 pm

I think it is expected that we give however we can. Even if we can't afford exhorbitant amounts of money, we should, as stated above, give of ourselves. Even as far as cleaning out those closets and giving to a charity.

I wonder what would happen if we just gave every penny to our church, the poor, and so forth, just trust completely that he would somehow give us money to pay the mortgage with? I have thought of this from time to time.

I have a funny about this that proves God has a sense of humor. I prayed about our finances, and asked God to somehow, if it was His will, let us catch a break on the money front. I was counting out quarters/pennies for the tolls to go home from work, and checked in the center console for something, a pen or whatever...and found $2, exactly the amount needed for the toll. Now with my Lyme affected brain, I am sure I stuffed it in there at some point and forgot about it, but it was pretty comical. I laughingly thanked God for the blessing of toll money.
beccachow
beccachow

Back to top Go down

Post by seagullplayer Fri May 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Many times we get hung up on the giving end, but that is really the last step.

We need to make sure we put Him first on the acquiring end also. How he make a living, our work ethic…
And on the spending end, do we consider God when we purchase a new car, or appliance or home, is this purchase going to help with our part of Kingdom building? God wants to see us enjoy His abundance, but is our purchase just for a selfish reason, could we get by with less?

I heard of an older couple that once bought a mini van, it was just the two of them left at home, they bought it so they could haul kids to church, and did.

John Wesley taught:

Make all you can
Save all you can
Give all you can

Great topic!
seagullplayer
seagullplayer

Back to top Go down

Some Scriptures for thought Empty God's Provision

Post by Marie Fri May 08, 2009 8:44 pm

In 2003 my husband and I both came to a turning point - our health was poor and the places that we worked had changed to the point that they weren't do-able any more. Both places had changed owners and times had changed - his job was too physically demanding, and mine was disappearing fast due to technology. We survived for over a year on selling a piece of land, selling stuff we had accumulated on eBay, having a big yard/barn sale, our rental houses, and a small VA pension he was receiving. One time we were down to nothing and it would be a couple of weeks before any money would be coming in. And that day, we received a check from the bank for $200.00 - we had overpaid into our escrow account! We kept telling ourselves that God would provide, and he did.. it was really a time of experiencing God's provision in a very practical way.

During the years we were raising kids money was always tight and I often wondered how it would all turn out. And now, looking back I see that we didn't really lack for anything. Maybe we didn't have what we wanted, but we had what we needed. And the lessons learned for our children has helped them in their own adult lives.. it doesn't matter that you don't have a late model car or all the toys.. just having each other and sticking together, working things out together is what matters...

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Since then, God has continued to provide for us and we in turn have been able to help others. It's amazing to see how He works. Often we don't need to preach a sermon, but showing Christian love through our deeds.. and I know that it's not me, or us, but God who works through us.
Marie
Marie

http://www.triparoundsun.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 pm

There was an old song we use to sing that said you can't beat God giving. Through my years of being a Christian I have come to realize the truth of this. In Malachi we are actually told to test this theory by seeing if God won't open the windows of heaven and poor out a blessing. Unfortunately, many think of blessings only in monetary terms and expect to have the huge mansion or expensive cars. Yet it's been my experience that my blessings have been in other forms, acts of kindess from strangers, my son, my husband even the ministry God has blessed me with. Joe and I live comfortably, but that hasn't always been the case. Yet no matter how tight money has been in the past, God has always provided for our needs, as well as blessing us in other areas. I think the important thing to remember in the OP is that we give not only out of the abundance, but we give as we see the need, then God will bring the abundance. It takes a step of faith to give when you don't know if you're going to have enough to get through the month, but our walk with the Lord is a walk of faith.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Martha Anne Sun May 10, 2009 5:57 pm

There have been so many times in my life when He has provided when I had nothing. Sometimes I wouldn't even have money to buy food for my children (my first dh was into drinking, gambling and other women instead of his family) and there would be money in a drawer that I opened or an envelope in the mail from my mother with just a note saying " I don't have time to write just wanted you to have this" and there would be a $20 bill or more. Always something to see my through. Thru a series of what seemed to be major disasters in my life, my second dh and I were led back to TN where I was able to help my mother find the Lord before she died. Wow, talk about blessed; Honey, He can just knock yore socks off with blessings, and I thank God for revealing Himself to a little scrawny unwanted child all those years ago. He has been my comfort and my stay thru so much and I feel so sorry for those who don't or won't know Him. God bless, M. A.

Martha Anne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down