Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Seasoning  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds

3 posters

Go down

Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds Empty Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds

Post by Farmfresh Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Everyone on here probably knows that I have a grandson that is three years old. Well last fall we had about a half dozen friends that decided to buy the little guy a pumpkin for Halloween. And so did I. And so did his mother. Typically we are not the wasteful types, so D2 made pies and breads and did her best to use that pumpkin and even put a good amount in the freezer, but she still had pumpkins left. She brought a couple over after Thanksgiving for me to feed to my livestock.

Then I had a surprise.

One of the pumpkins was like nothing I had ever seen. I chopped it open and was amazed to see the entire inside of the pumpkin filled with dry "noodle" guts. It was similar in texture to a spaghetti squash, except for it smelled fantastic. I reached in and tried a bit, just raw, and it was VERY flavorful and quite sweet like one of those heritage cooking pumpkins.

Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds Spaghetti%20Pumpkin%201a%202015

I tried to figure out what kind of pumpkin it was ... even contacted Baker Creek Seeds ... with no luck. The guy at Baker Creek says it may be a sport which is a natural mutation of some heritage pumpkin or it may be a hybrid of some kind. The only way to find out if this pumpkin will breed true is to grow it.

Here is the problem. Where I live we have a HORRIBLE squash borer problem. To the point that I am actually jealous of people that can raise a zucchini. (any extra zucchini are more than welcome here even those baseball bats) If I try to raise these seeds (which I am going to try) I highly doubt that I will even get a crop at all.

This pumpkin would be great to use as a vegetable side dish, like you would use spaghetti squash. I would hate for this to be a terrific mutation and then be lost forever because I have a bug problem. Then again it might be a hybrid of some kind and the pumpkins would end up like typical pumpkins. Either way I need people willing to raise it and see.

I have a bunch of nice seed. If you are interested in growing this send me an email. Farmfresh@ubuilderplans.com
I will give you my address, then you can mail me a self addressed and stamped envelope and I will fill it with seeds and send it back. The only catch is that I please ask you to report on the results. IF these seeds plant true please save the seeds. Baker Creek Seed said they would be interested in them if it is a new variety. Who knows? You might be in on the ground level of a new vegetable sensation! ???
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds Empty Re: Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds

Post by dizzy Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:56 am

E-mail sent. I love both spaghetti squash and pumpkin, so I'm hoping it is a new variety.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:56 am

Mee too. That would just be totally cool if it was.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:51 am

That is the same type of pumpkin I wound up with last year. I bought my pumpkins at Meijer grocery store. That was the biggest PITA to clean and carve. I think they crossed with a spaghetti squash because I've never seen a pumpkin like it in my near 50 years on this planet. They were large, solid weight pumpkins with a nice orange color and a good shape for carving into Jack-o-lanterns.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Was the one you had sweet fleshed? This one tasted great! Did you save any seeds?
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:28 pm

I didn't try it and I didn't save any seeds. I was mad that it was so difficult to scape smooth inside that I didn't keep any of the seeds to try growing. I am particular about my pumpkins for carving.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:01 pm

See we seldom carve a pumpkin here. Around here pumpkin is destined for pie. What a Face
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 am

I like pumpkin pies, custard and eclair cake BUT one must be sacrificed for a jack-o-lantern. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 am

You said the flavor was sweet but how was the texture, was it stringy or did it puree up smooth? I'm thinking you could blanch the strings, sprinkle with cinnamon or pie spice and dehydrate the strings for snacking. Wink Have you made any fruit leather roll ups from pumpkin puree and pie spice?
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:24 am

It was like carrot shreds. Crunchy and moist. I just snacked on a bit raw. The reason that I ended up with it for animal feed is that the bottom had already gone goopy. I wish I could have had it in good shape because I would have baked or streamed it and served with some butter and brown sugar as a vegetable side dish.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am

Mine was rather dry and stringy so it may have been different than yours. It was also very pale orange colored but it smelled very pumpkiny. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down