» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Anyone Interested? - Pumpkin Seeds
Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:46 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

building my chicken coop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

building my chicken coop

Post by dizzy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:44 am

First off, let me say that I'm not a carpenter, nor do I play one on TV. But, I also knew that if I was going to get these coops made, I had no choice but to do it myself. I've made some mistakes along the way, and would change the wood that I used for the floor, but it's too late to do it now.

When I first decided to make these houses, the first thing I needed to do was determine how big I was going to make them. If I used a whole sheet of plywood for the floor, I could have made them 4x8. But, I can get sheets of 1/2" plywood for $5.00 and the sheets are not quite 4' square. I debated about using a couple of sheets for the floor, but decided I wanted a floor w/no seam in it. I can also get sheets of 3/4" plywood for $5.00, and they're a little smaller. I've found they work better for the nesting boxes, and the 1/2" works well for the sides. So the size I came up w/was 67 1/4" by 42 1/4".

I figured since it's only for chickens, I could use 1/4" plywood for the floor. That was a mistake. First off, when I got the wood, it was raining-even though they weren't calling for rain in the forecast. So the wood got wet and I had no place to lay it flat. So, they warped some. And even thought the 1/4" is fine for chickens, I was walking on it at times. I was a bit afraid a couple of times that it would break, but it didn't.

W/the size determined, I cut the plywood to the correct size and painted it. For the last piece, I let it dry, then painted the other side as well. It was much easier to get it painted this way. I also cut 4 pieces of 4x4. They're about 12" long. Those also got painted. When they were dry, they were screwed onto the painted side of the plywood. I toenailed the screws in from the bottom, then flipped it over and screwed down into the posts from the top, then took out the screws from the bottom. So, now I had the floor, and it was up about 12". That way, there's less chance of rats, and it gives the chickens some shade during the day.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Re: building my chicken coop

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:58 am

Wow that's a great price on the plywood! Sounds like a nice little size coop, how many birds will it hold?
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:19 am

Sounds good, hope it is as rat proof as you think it will be.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:42 pm

In order for a rat to get in there, it would have to get in while I have the gate opened.  I don't think they'd be able to fit in the fence holes since they're 1"x2".  If I find creatures can get in, I'll put some other fencing along the bottom.

As to the number of birds it will hold, even though I have 3 coops, the majority of them try to cram into the original 4'x4' coop!  I'll find them in the nesting boxes, on the roost I made, on top of it and on top of the nesting boxes!  So these will hold more, but I don't want them to be that crowded.  This year, my plan is for 1 rooster and 6 hens in each house.  And next year, I'll increase the number of hens to either 8 or 9.  I still have 1 bird that I don't know if it's a hen or a roo.  I look at the head and think hen.  I look at the tail and think roo.  Maybe it's a hermaphrodite.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Try putting a piece of colored paper under some of the neck feathers. Pointed feathers mean a cockerel and round feathers mean a pullet.
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:37 pm

I know that, but don't know that I could catch this bird easily. It is not developing a large comb and wattles, so the head looks like a hen, but the tail feathers look more like a rooster. And it isn't holding still long enough for me to check out the neck feathers. It is not crowing or laying eggs, so I can't say for sure yet. I can tell w/all my other birds. This one is different.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:58 pm

W/the floor built, the next thing that I needed to do was the frame. Some people can build a frame and then attach it to the floor. I'm not one of those people. I can't get the pieces together, and if I do, it's not very square. So instead, I start w/the bottom. I used 2x3s, and cut 5 pieces that were 39 1/4" long. These are for the shortest ends as well as for the nesting box and frame for the window. I put the 2 in place w/just one screw, then put the floor on it's side, and screwed from the bottom. I found that doing that helped get rid of some of the warping. Then, I cut a piece for the 1 long side, but left enough room so I could put a 2x3 upright on either end and attached that the same way. For the other side, I cut it shorter. For cleaning purposes, I didn't want a board in front of the door. That way, I can drag soiled bedding out easier.

W/this all done, the floor was put in place. I have bricks under the legs, and it's fairly level.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:48 am

Good for you. That's a big undertaking. Hopefully you'll get lots of use from the new coop.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:09 am

This isn't just 1, this was 3!

Getting back to the building. W/the floor in place, the next step was to install the uprights. I don't recall now how long they were, but the front side is higher than the back. W/uprights in all 4 corners, I went ahead and attached a board on both the front and the back. Then, I measured to see how far it was from there to the floor. I added a piece at the back where the 2 pieces of wood would meet up, and 1 at the front where I was putting the door.

The next part was a bit more tricky. I had to figure out how high I wanted the nesting boxes off the floor. Then, I took some small pieces of wood, cut them the same size, then put one of my 39 1/4" pieces of wood between the 2. That was then screwed in place on the end by the door. At the other end, I made a frame for the door, and for the window. That left just the roof supports to make.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:48 am

I'd like to see some pictures of the coops.
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top