Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Hello from Central TX EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Hello from Central TX EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Hello from Central TX EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Hello from Central TX EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Hello from Central TX EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Hello from Central TX EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Hello from Central TX EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Hello from Central TX EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Hello from Central TX EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Hello from Central TX

+2
Farmfresh
12acrehome
6 posters

Go down

Hello from Central TX Empty Hello from Central TX

Post by Guest Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Hello all,
Just introducing myself as per protocol. I am female, married to the most amazing man whom I started dating when I was in HS. We have two kids, a boy and a girl. Several years ago when my Mom started having difficulty living alone we made her a small apartment near our house. We live in Central Texas on some land that has been in my hubby's family for several generations. Over the years it has been broken up and passed down to the kids of each generation so now what we have is a patchwork of homes across the hillside which are all mostly family (save 2 homes that are rented out currently).

We have chickens who pretty much run the place. They have a house where they lay their eggs and sometimes sleep. But we rarely ever close the coop door. My Mom loves birds so we have feeders everywhere, and hence, a LOT of bird friends. We used to raise doves but we dropped that when we moved out to this farm as we could not bring our big aviary with us and have not had time to build a new one - LOL. I am sure we will get back around to that eventually.

We also raise meat rabbits. The adults all have large cages and then they each have a tunnel that leads to an underground box which stays cooler in our miserable triple digit heat. We came up with the idea after losing a few rabbits to heat stress last year. This is the first summer since we built it and we have some very happy bunnies! The newer grow out pen is done colony style. It's 10x10 and they have a two story apartment to hang out in with the bottom story being excavated deeper and deeper each day as these little guys LOVE to dig in the cool dirt.

And last but not least we have our dear companions and trusty guardians. We have a Jack Russell and a Dachshund who act as very loud alarm systems - they activate the enforcers. A mastiff cross, a large yellow (who knows what cross), and Mom's Rott cross - they were all from shelters and all excellent dogs. They guard our little farm and try their best to climb in our laps if they ever catch us sitting down outside. Then we have 3 cats who assist the little dogs with snake and mouse catching duty and occasionally chase those birds Mom baits into the yard with her feeders.

Though we do not own any cattle or horses, other family members do so they are roaming around our place all the time and we sometimes tend to them if we see an issue that needs dealing with.

Hmmmm what else? We both work and have active kids so it doesn't leave us much time to do a full on homestead, but we are adding what we can, where we can. We are Christian, and mostly conservative but with a few Libertarian threads. I guess that is it. Looking forward to learning some stuff here.

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central TX Empty Re: Hello from Central TX

Post by 12acrehome Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Welcome Paradox, thanks for the intro post.

That underground cool box is a neat idea!! very clever

As others have said shelter pets make the best pets! I hope you enjoy your stay with us.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 am

Welcome!

I met my hubby when I was 15. We have been together 35 years and married for 32. I even still like him! Laughing  We are the rarity these days for sure!

For a while we lived with family all around as well. My MIL's house, BIL's house and our house all sat side by side. It definitely has it's good points living with family like that, but occasionally they can drive you a bit crazy.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 am

Farmfresh wrote:I met my hubby when I was 15.  We have been together 35 years and married for 32.  I even still like him!  Laughing  We are the rarity these days for sure!  

yes I think sadly we are a dying breed. I met my Hubby just before I turned 15. We have been married 23 years and together for 27 so right behind you :-) God brought us together and put him in my life for a very specific reason and I have been so very blessed. We are the best of friends and there is very little that we do apart from each other. Even the weekly run into town for supplies is a family affair. My prayer is just that God will send each of my kids a relationship that will be as much of a blessing to them as their Father has been to me. But with the way so many kids are raised these days, I am not sure that the current crop of "suitors" can even understand the concept. Just praying hard for their future spouses :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 am

Welcome to the group, glad to have you join us. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 am

Welcome, Paradox. Your rabbit set-up sounds wonderful.

As a homeschooling mom of teen girls, I share your concern about future spouses. We, too, pray for godly young men for them.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 am

Hello and welcome to a great homesteading site. Glad to have you on board. I also think that your rabbit underground set-up sounds really "cool". We have a few rabbits that are my daughter's, but no underground run for them. It doesn't get as hot here as in Texas.

It is also wonderful to be married for life to your best friend. My wife and I will celebrate thirty-seven years on August 7th. Hope we have 37 more years to be together. Very Happy 

Hope you enjoy the site and become one of us.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Let me add my welcome. I haven't been on much recently because I've been under the weather, but hope to be up and about soon and have the chance to get to know you better.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum