Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Tomato  (by special request)   ;) EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Sloppy  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Tomato (by special request) ;)

4 posters

Go down

Tomato  (by special request)   ;) Empty Tomato (by special request) ;)

Post by 12acrehome Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Garden tomatoes belong to the Genus Lycopersicon, and the species Lycopersicum. There are conflicting reports about the cross-pollinating of tomatoes. Some claim that crossing is rampant, others claim to have never seen any indication of it. Tomatoes are "inbreeding" plants whose flowers (in most garden cultivated types) have retracted styles (the part of a flower receptive to pollen). This type of flower structure will severely limit any cross pollination, and may actually preclude crossing from happening naturally. Check the blooms of your tomato plants to see that the anthers extend above the style (the pollen pod is closest to the opening of the flower, and the part that receives the pollen is very deep into the flower structure). The one known exception is if a double bloom or fruit is found on a Beefsteak variety. Single fruits are fine, but do not save seed from double bloom or double fruited Beefsteak tomatoes.

Seed from paste and slicing tomatoes can be saved and the rest of the fruit eaten or processed as otherwise usual. You know where the seeds are, separate the seed and gel from the fruit into a bowl, add an equal volume of water (ie 1 cup of water for every cup of seed and gel mixture) set this mixture someplace where it can ferment (use a bowl that you will not use for food again) Allow a layer of mold to completely cover the mixture. It takes about three days for this to happen, add more water (about double what is there and stir vigorously. Let this stand for a few minutes (good seeds will settle to the bottom) pour off the mixture, keeping the good seeds in the bowl. Add about the same amount of water, stir, settle and pour off the trash again, and repeat until you only have clean seeds in the bowl. Place seeds in a glass container, in a single layer, to dry. Do not dry seeds in the oven, or direct sunlight.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Tomato  (by special request)   ;) Empty Re: Tomato (by special request) ;)

Post by Sonshine Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm

I've never had a problem with my tomatoes cross pollinating. I'm glad someone asked about this. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks, I was concerned about this as I like to grow several types of maters.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Good to know. I have a few different types of maters this year, and really want to save the seeds from one at least if I like the fruit-Jersey Devils.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down