Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt

4 posters

Go down

Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt Empty Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt

Post by joyful jean Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Does anyone else have issues with overwintering their honeybees? Here in the midwest we have such a horrible success rate. Buying bees every year can be very costly so everyone up here is trying to find a solution. Here is one suggestion I was told about that looks promising. What do you think? http://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-make-a-moisture-quilt-for-a-langstroth-hive/
joyful jean
joyful jean

http://www.ilovethesebooks.com

Back to top Go down

Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt Empty Re: Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt

Post by Sonshine Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I think the only other beekeeper we have is Amybyrd. Hopefully she'll be a long soon to discuss this with you. Hope you have a merry Christmas.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt Empty Re: Overwintering your bees with a Bee Quilt

Post by 12acrehome Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:14 pm

I am interested in bees, but want to learn more before investing in the equipment. What is the over-wintering problem?? Condensation? Molds? or Temperature? I would think that, if it is a moisture / condensation problem, the basic hive design and / or location are flawed. Something erected around the hive to stabilize the temps (think micro-climate) and yet maintain enough airflow...

Just my thoughts as a non-keeper.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by joyful jean Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:55 pm

We have 2 issues the first is moisture from the condensation caused by the bees & the other is a Midwest issue of such drastic temp changes in February. We will have a nice week of 50s where the bees will uncluster & really start cleaning house then it will go to -20 killing them. It is so frustrating. With this quilt I am thinking it will take care of the moisture problem & I am hoping to "bring them in" maybe in a shed or garage for the winter. I am hearing if you bring them in, your shed stays 50 degrees even on bitter cold days. I know lower Midwest does not have these issues & neither does Canada. We in the upper Midwest just have too drastic of a change in temps in February & march. Thanks for your thoughts. I love being a beekeeper & want to keep my girls comfortable.
joyful jean
joyful jean

http://www.ilovethesebooks.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:42 am

there is just so much to wintering bees, in all aspects of the country to post hear. I know in are state we just have to feed are bees so they don't go out of the hive. and have plenty to feed the new bees. most the older hive bees are gone. we don't move are bees inside. or cover them. but just feed them. hear is a great book to look into. lots more books are available. this one is called. 500 Answers to Bee Questions. by A.I. Root company Medina, Ohio.
hope this helps.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down