Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
The only way to change the world  EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
The only way to change the world  EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
The only way to change the world  EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
The only way to change the world  EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
The only way to change the world  EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
The only way to change the world  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
The only way to change the world  EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
The only way to change the world  EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
The only way to change the world  EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

The only way to change the world

4 posters

Go down

The only way to change the world  Empty The only way to change the world

Post by Sonshine Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:21 am

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.” Matthew 5:14

Someone once told me the simplest definition of the word “culture.” It is this: “That’s just the way we do things around here.” I have to chuckle a little about that definition when I remember the bumper sticker I saw in Central Florida that read “We don’t care how you did it up north.” Our culture determines our sensibilities. It dictates our perception of right or wrong. The prevailing culture is either the wind at our backs pushing us along or the headwinds against which we are struggling to defy. For those of us who believe in the absolute authority of the Bible for faith and practice, the cultural winds have changed. We are facing fierce headwinds of resistance.
As we come into this election season, I think it’s important as a Christian to remember that we are not in a political war. This nation is in the midst of a culture war. We can change presidents or change congressmen, throw all of the bums out for that matter, but if we have not changed the culture we have not changed anything. When I consider the greatest social problems of our time, I do not see them as primarily financial. They are spiritual. Within the last 50 years we have seen a culture of respect for biblical authority give way to a culture of moral relativism. There was a time in our nation when even people who didn’t go to church still had a respect for the Bible, a general knowledge of its principles to discern right from wrong and a general feeling that churches were good for society. That time is long gone. And we are feeling the effects in many ways. The moral bearings of this culture are upside down. Right is wrong, wrong is right. The outworking of this loss of moral authority in our culture is manifest in many ways beyond the rise of senseless and egregious crime. A culture once dominated by the “Protestant Work Ethic” has degenerated into a culture of entitlement. The very foundations that made a great nation have been undermined.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s our fault. The church has compromised its moral authority. The world has seen too much hypocrisy, pride, and, at times, outright hatred in the church. This has sullied our position of leadership in the culture. And the “god of this age” has been right there to come in and “blind” the eyes of unbelievers (cf. 2 Corinthians 3:4-5; Ephesians 2:2).
So what’s the answer? Are we sunk or can something be done? The answer is “YES, ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING CAN BE DONE.” We need to go back to Jesus’ calling on our lives to be light in this world. Not just to talk about it. To do it! The way I change culture begins with me. I have to change the culture of me. The way I do things. I have to identify the sins, attitudes, and weaknesses in my own life. I have to let the light and grace of Jesus flow in my life and change me so that I live out the righteousness of His Word. From my life the light shines on my family, and the culture of my family is changed. Then, from my family to my neighborhood. From my neighborhood to my city. From my city to my region. From my region to the world. It starts with every believer taking the call of Jesus. It’s time for God’s people to be light!
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The only way to change the world  Empty Re: The only way to change the world

Post by dizzy Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:24 am

Well said! I often look at this world today and am reminded of the book of Haggai. The people had basically turned their back on God, and no matter how hard they worked, they couldn't get ahead. Sound familiar?

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Yes. It's unfortunate, but it seems that most nations follow similar patterns in their rise and fall.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Sonshine, that was a wonderful post. As you may remember I was having a hard time finding a Church I felt comfortable in. I've tried about all of them and from 2010 until just this past summer thought I had found a group of people who felt the same way I did. Well, surprise, I was wrong. This was a Messanic group and they follow the "Law" pretty rigidly, which I did not mind. They taught brotherly love and living simply (though not one of them was into "homesteading" until I started talking about it and taking them to all the little nooks and cranies I new about). Well, to make a long story short when I retired last year I was everybodies friend until the money ran out. I found out that they were taking little side trips and looking for land we could buy as a group, again places I had found and mentioned to them, and they never even bothered to give me a call to see if I would like to go along. Well, I put it aside but it kept bothering me. It finally came to a head in September of this year and I said I was done. They were quite put out when I said I was moving an hour away and, you guessed it, since I've moved I haven't heard one word from them. Talk about shaking someone's faith. So much for their "brotherly love". My landlord asked me to go to Church with them the day I moved in and I FINALLY think I have found what I was looking for. It is a small little country church and when the pastor talks I actually remember what was talked about when I leave and it gives me something to think about. I'm not making any rash decisions yet because you never know. I'm just going to live what Jesus taught, kindness, compassion and caring and I truly believe now I'm in a community that feels the same. Wish me luck.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 am

backtotheland, it's unfortunate that many Christians have problems finding a church that becomes family. I know of many people who just quit looking. Some have decided to have services in their homes and some just stopped having services altogether. I have no problem with home churches, I do, however, believe it's scriptually wrong not to have some type of fellowship with other believers. I always tell people that since we are the church, we aren't suppose to be lone rangers. The church was given to us to help us on the journey and to give us the opportunity to be a blessing to others.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Best wishes on your search for a church home backtotheland, after a search that lasted 28 years I think I finally found mine. For me the trick was to find a small country church that is independent of a national governing body. Our little church is strictly fundamental and the sermons come straight from the KJV Bible. The preacher and his family are homesteaders lite (like most I know) and the congregation is made up of mostly like minded hard working country folk.

In Gods time you will find (or know that you have found) a church home
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 pm

I'm in the process of leaving the church I've attended for the past 18 or so years. I'd already have left, but I have obligations that will take me to the end of the year, then I'm gone. I've already found a new church.

But, the church where I am attending wants me to do things I'm not called to do, and is giving me a hard time about not doing them. Plus, jobs that I've done and enjoyed, I'm no longer doing. I no longer feel comfortable there.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:58 pm

That's what happened to me too dizzy. I just no longer felt comfortable there. They believe the Sabbath is on Saturday and don't want you to do anything at all. Well, unfortunately I work for a hospital and I do have to work at least one, if not more, week-ends a month. I was beginning to get very confused and that made me feel uncomfortable. I did hear from them yesterday but I think they know now that I'm not coming back as a part of their congregation. I will still be friends with them but I'm going to go to the Church in my own community.

Sonshine, that's exactly what I've done in the past - I've stopped going all together. I didn't do that this time though because I truly believe that God wants us to worship with a group.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:00 pm

hmm, Sabbath...

does anyone KNOW the definition of this word? or have a Hebrew dictionary?

Wikipedia has a definition (in fact many definitions) of the word (or term), and we all believe it is the 7th day of the week set aside for rest and worship, but what does that word actually mean (in old world terms)?

might start a new thread on this, and other terms, just for some fun and learning.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:37 pm

12acre, starting a threat on that is a great idea. I got really confused about the "day". I know it is the seventh day, but what is the first day, Sunday or Monday? When I was in the Messanic group they tried to explain it but it just never really sunk in. Did they even have "days of the week" back then or did they just consider a day to be from sunset to sunset or sunrise to sunrise. Another friend, who used to attend the Espicopal church I did but doesn't go anywhere at all now, told me that God doesn't care what day of the week it is as long as you take one day a week to worship him, rest and just contemplate. I need help!

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:46 pm

LOL we all need help my friend.

We are commanded to work for six days, and rest on the seventh. Separately we also are commanded to keep holy the Sabbath. This could get really deep I'm afraid.

We are told (slightly changing subject) to be the best worker our employer has...hmm a shining example if you will.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 am

Saturday is the 7th day.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 am