Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Tough Goat Meat EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Tough Goat Meat EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Tough Goat Meat EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Tough Goat Meat EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Tough Goat Meat EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Tough Goat Meat EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Tough Goat Meat EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Tough Goat Meat EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Tough Goat Meat EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Tough Goat Meat

+2
12acrehome
backwoodsmama
6 posters

Go down

Tough Goat Meat Empty Tough Goat Meat

Post by backwoodsmama Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 am

We just butchered our first goat. He was a weathered nubian/alpine cross, aprox 9 months old. After butchering we let him hang for almost 2 days. We marinated the loin and back strap in italian dressing for about 2 hours, then pan fried thin pieces, it was tasty but very tough. Any ideas?

backwoodsmama

Back to top Go down

Tough Goat Meat Empty Re: Tough Goat Meat

Post by 12acrehome Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:26 am

With cattle that we finish out for our families use we let them hang 21 days at 36 to 40 degrees, any less and they are tough. Also the marinade may not tenderize as expected. With deer meat (venison) I try to let it hang three days if I can keep it cool enough. After butchering I cook the meat as quickly as possible or it gets tough. So, I would say decrease the cooking time, raise the tempreture if necessary. Also try cooking it in a pressure cooker. The added pressure raises the temp at which water turns to steam, and cooks quicker by keeping hotter water in contact with the food.

That's my 2 cents, anyone else have any thoughts
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:19 pm

We only have nigerian dwarfs, so haven't tried goat meat. We use ours for milking only. One day we may get some meat goats. No advice for you, but I think Keith is probably right about letting it hang a bit longer.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kasilofhome Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 am

We have not had tough goat meat. The only Goat we eat with in one day of slaudger are newborns. We clean and season right away and toss on to the rotisseser. They are the size of a chicken (really a cat but the mental image is sick)

When We have done the older meat after they have been cleaned and cut up they are wrapped till I forget which goat they are. (honestly I am a wimp about eating animals I have raised and love) I really need to distance myself. My boys are begging and such. When I do they are cooked like a chuck roast with bacon on the top and ionions in the botton of the pan and covered. The spices do change but we use garlic on everything.

kasilofhome

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:23 am

kasilofhome, I'm like you, I'm a wimp when it comes to eating what we've butchered. The first chicken we butchered I knew I had to eat it right away though, or I probably never would have. So I kept one to cook for dinner that night. It tasted funny to me, but I know it was all psychological. The rest I haven't had a problem with, but I don't get attached to them like I do my goats.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PlainFolk Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm not bothered by eating chickens or rabbits that I've raised and butchered. Goats...well luckily I don't like goat meat so that won't be too much of an issue. But the thing with goats is that they have some of the most expressive faces God put on this planet so I'm thinking I couldn't be quite as cold hearted about butchering and eating them as I am the chickens and rabbits. I think I may get a tad bit more attached to them thus hindering the whole killing and consuming process.
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:46 pm

For me and my little broke thinker, I separate animals into multiple categories. Basically there are pets, food animals, and working or stock animals

Food animals (for me) include chickens, cows, pigs (but not all breeds) as well as some wild life. Pets include cats, dogs, some tame rabbit breeds, and goats. Stock animals are the bulls, some goats and some sheep, Horses, and some dogs.

Not a complete list, but basically if my brain says it's a pet or a stock animal I ain't eatin' it!!!
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalm25 Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 am

12acrehome wrote:For me and my little broke thinker, I separate animals into multiple categories. Basically there are pets, food animals, and working or stock animals

Food animals (for me) include chickens, cows, pigs (but not all breeds) as well as some wild life. Pets include cats, dogs, some tame rabbit breeds, and goats. Stock animals are the bulls, some goats and some sheep, Horses, and some dogs.

Not a complete list, but basically if my brain says it's a pet or a stock animal I ain't eatin' it!!!

lol I agree with pets not being on my menu. But there is no animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or insect (that is not poisonous) that I would not try if it is cooked in a way that is appealing to my eyes... if it is not palatable then I add ketchup lol cat
Psalm25
Psalm25

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Psalm25 wrote:
12acrehome wrote:For me and my little broke thinker, I separate animals into multiple categories. Basically there are pets, food animals, and working or stock animals

lol I agree with pets not being on my menu. But there is no animal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, or insect (that is not poisonous) that I would not try if it is cooked in a way that is appealing to my eyes... if it is not palatable then I add ketchup lol cat

cat soup, no thanks Very Happy lol!

having sampled gator, rattle snake, snapping turtle, buffalo, and even acquired a taste for sushi I must say emphatically that I will never ever again knowingly eat beaver, raccoon, nor groundhog. Unless of course facing starvation.

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down