Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
The two new pigs are here EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
The two new pigs are here EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
The two new pigs are here EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
The two new pigs are here EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
The two new pigs are here EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
The two new pigs are here EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
The two new pigs are here EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
The two new pigs are here EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
The two new pigs are here EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

The two new pigs are here

3 posters

Go down

The two new pigs are here Empty The two new pigs are here

Post by amybyrd21 Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:04 am

I have already posted pics of the new baby boy. He arrived today along with a pig from the same farm. Her name is Olie. She was much bigger than we expected. She is a pushy pig. she pushes you pet.lol I thought she was going to push me over when I went out there. i started to pet her and she relaxed and leaned against me.

The two new pigs are here 01511
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The two new pigs are here Empty Re: The two new pigs are here

Post by Sonshine Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:46 am

Awww. I would have a problem butchering and eating any animal I had named. The people we got our chickens from named them things like, "chicken nugget, chicken lo mein, sweet and sour, etc" Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:02 pm

These two are breed stock is the only reason I named them (Olie had hers when she got here) We are keeping a gilt off this go around and her names is speckles because on her butt are a bunch of little black dots.(Will get a pic as soon as she lets me) The other 10 are not named. They will be to eat and to sell. Hubby made the mistake out of the last litter to bring on to the house and name her and let the kids pet her and take care of her. I ended up giving her to a needy family as my kids were attached and she was the runt. He is not allowed to bring another on to the house because of it. lol
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:58 pm

Tyler's been wanting a pet pig, but I'm still thinking about it. Each year we've lived in Georgia we've added something. The first year it was our garden, second year chickens, this year the goats. I'm not sure what next year will bring yet. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:06 am

I will bring you a pig. They are really intelligent and you can get attached to them. Have yall seen the micro pigs. They get 65 lbs tops. When born they weigh 9 oz. They are $500 each and it is becoming the latest pet. Junior said they arent worth it but i think I may get one for a house pet when the price comes down.
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:21 am

How much space do you need for about 3 or 4 pigs? I have considered going with a small breed, but the breed you mentioned may be a bit too small to get any kind of meat off of. LOL What all would I need for them? Remember, I only have 2 acres of land, so I would also need to know how to do ordor control. So far the chickens and the goats haven't caused a problem with our neighbors, but we haven't had problems with odors from their pens since we keep them cleaned up. Not sure how well that would work with pigs. Also, I know pigs need mud in order to keep cool, how do you keep a mud hole? What kind of housing do you have for your pigs? What about feed for them? How expensive is it?
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:13 pm

1. They do not need much room. The factory farms keep them in crates big enough for them to barley turn around in. We have them in 1/4 acer and they are really happy. As long as they have enough room to lay down and turn around they are fine. We also just have 2 acers.
2. What do they eat. We feed ours corn, hay, veggie scraps, and they eat off the pasture. You can feed them milk, or just about anything. Mine will not eat onions (heard that is true for all pigs), or okra.
3. Housing. A lean too is enough. As long as they can get out of the sun and rain. Mine have a barn and in the summer they sleep outside. The man that owned the farm before us had tin hog houses. They were just nailed together in a rough form that they would go into.
4. The smell- we dont smell them that much. They dont smell like the ones in the factor farm. Ours will smell when it gets super hot outside and then not that much. Junior says that smells like money to him lol. They mix alot of it in their mud.
5. You can keep them in a two stran electric fence with out a problem. The lady we got Olie from just had one strand. They will stay if they have what they need. The only problem we have is them turning over waters to make mud.
6. The mud is not a real problem. They will wallow out a spot and seal it up. If you ever have a pond that wont seal it self turn pigs out on it. They have pits in our pen for that. They made them with out any help. As long as you give them some water if it gets low in the summer you should be fine. we have had so much rain we dont need to give them any for their mud hole.

7. The feed varies. We (right now) are going thru 50 lbs a day of corn, then we add slop and hay. We have 17 pigs but the little ones are not eating near as much as the big ones. If you find a local farmer that sells it in bulk that is best. we pay $6.99 for 50 lbs at TSC. If we buy it at the local farmer it is $9.00 for 100 lbs and it goes up and down with the market. If you can find a veggie stand or some place that makes cheese then you would be doing good. DO NOT feed them table scrapes from a resturant it can cause problems in health your table scrapes are fine.

If you get pigs and have children you need to make sure they know that they can turn on them in a heart beat. They tell you to have a low fence so you can get out and if you have farrowing huts to make it where you can get between them but the pigs cant. All pigs like any animals can attack. Durocs are suppost to be the worst for this but ours is laid back and lazy. If you get them small then you an train them to your family. They get use to you. If they are like Junior's babies they like people and will push you down to get attention and feed. The main part of their aggresion is when the babies squeal. And here Junior kicks at their face(Shouts no but doesnt make contact with the pig) and pushes them away with a hand or foot gentley. They will learn that you are not going to hurt thier babies. (A plastic leaf rake is suppost to be good for this too.) They are smarter than dogs and can learn easily. They will come at you with their mouths open when mad. The landrace is bad about it if you have a baby in hand but you can tell her no mama and she quits. But you had better watch she will come back around and try again in a few minuets. When cutting the boars take them away from the sight and hearing of mama. It is best to do this when they are young. (I will go into detail about this on another post) Some people do it as soon as a pig hits the ground. There are people that do not cut any more because the boar taint has been bred out of a lot of the pigs. We do not cut teeth or tails. To much risk of infection. They do that them selves when they eat rocks (for minerals) and play fight when little (some of them lose a tail).
The best thing about a pig is they make great tillers. You put the pigs on the garden spot in the winter and let them clean it up and till it up for you. Then you put your chickens (in a tractor) over the garden and they eat the seeds that the pigs turned up. It is called pig tillers and chicken weeders. (Or some say it the other way around)
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:27 pm

When I was 15 we moved from Illinois to Alabama. It was culture shock for me because in Illinois we lived in the middle of a large city, but in Alabama we lived on my Dad's cousin's land, about 350 acres. We bought a pregnant sow, who gave birth to 4 pigletts. One of the babies drowned in the water trough though, but the other three survived. Being a city kid, I treated every animal like a pet. I had those babies following me around like a puppy would. Unfortunately, being a city kid, I really didn't pay much attention to the details of raising them. The main thing I remember is the day we loaded them up to take to the butcher. Dad couldn't get one of the pigs up the ramp, into the truck. He made me go into the truck and call her. As much as I love just about any kind of pork, I couldn't wouldn't eat any that year. I wish I had paid more attention to the details back then. The momma pig never bothered us when we handled the babies though. I do remember they use to rut up under the fencing and come down to the house looking for me. I don't remember what my parents did for mud for them. We didn't have a pond or anything near by and I don't remember them watering down the pen, but do remember it staying muddy. I also don't remember them smelling particularly bad. People told me that the goats and chickens would smell bad, but I haven't noticed it, and have asked my neighbors and none of them smell them, so I guess it's just a matter of making sure to keep their pens cleaned up. If we got pigs they would have access to the barn. There's plenty of room for us to make a stall or two inside. That's what we did for the goats and it works very well. We would just cut another small door for the pigs and put up more boards to make them some stalls. I guess I'll have to get Joe to take some pictures of our set up so you can see it. We have the chickens in a storage building that we modified some. They have a cement floor in their coop. The goats are in one of those huge storage buildings that looks like a barn. It's 2 stories and about 1000 sq feet. The previous owner modified it and enlarged it. It has a wooden floor, which concerned me having animals in it, but for the goats we put a tarp on the floor where they are kept and keep it covered with straw. Works out pretty good. I imagine we could do something like that for pigs. But before we get another animal, I have to learn how to milk the goats. We think our 3 girls are pregnant, and if so they should be kidding next month. After we see how well we handle taking care of that we'll look into getting another animal, perhaps pigs. I would really like to have pigs, and Ty has been begging for one to keep as a pet, so if we get any, we'll have to keep one just for him.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by amybyrd21 Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 am

I like haveing ours but since Junior turned them out into the big pasture the kids cant go out there any more to check for eggs or anything. The pigs run up and start pushing. It took me a litte bit to learn how to stand up to them doing that. it is funny to me because they act like little dogs. just 750 lbs. We have a barn but had them in a pen until now. The boar is still in the pen but wanting out. We have the duroc with him becuase she hasnt had babies yet. As for the wood floor it would proabaly make for easier clean up. The will make their own mud pit. ou just have to fill it if it dried out. Junior's loves to be hosed down in the middle of the day and then roll in the mud again. It cools them down. As far a temper they are most of the time sweet but can turn on you. The lady that we I put on the Prayer board some time ago never had trouble with hers until that day and they tore up both arms. There are smaller breeds. Let me do some checking to see how they stack up to regular pigs. I will ask on the pig group
amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am

Thank you. Any info on small breeds would be appreciated.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Homesteader Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 am

OUrs are named... Pork Chop, Bacon, etc.
Mrs. Homesteader
Mrs. Homesteader

http://amazinggrazefarm.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:03 am

LOL Mrs Homesteader. We knew someone who named their chickens like that. Sweet and Sour, Teriyaki, etc. I had read somewhere about a lady that, every time her kids started playing with the livestock would tell them to quit playing with their food. BTW, nice to see you posting again. You have been missed.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down