Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Successful Beekeeping EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Successful Beekeeping EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Successful Beekeeping EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Successful Beekeeping EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Successful Beekeeping EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Successful Beekeeping EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Successful Beekeeping EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Successful Beekeeping EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Successful Beekeeping EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Successful Beekeeping

Go down

Successful Beekeeping Empty Successful Beekeeping

Post by Sonshine on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:21 pm

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/Start-Beekeeping-Tips.aspx?utm_medium=email&utm_source=iPost

If you’ve ever thought about beekeeping, I strongly encourage you to jump in and get started. There are continually new things to learn, observe and enjoy. It brings you close to nature, and bees pollinate crops and provide honey.

RELATED CONTENT
To Bee, or Not to Bee
To Bee, or Not to Bee October/November 1997 Bits and Pieces Mites ...

Bee Sting Salve
Country Lore: The best home remedy for bee, wasp and bumble bee stings is an onion....

Homestead Handbook Beginning with Honeybees
Homestead handbook on starting and maintaining and honeybee farm, including facts of bee-ology, wor...

A VISIT TO THE QUEEN CHARLOTTES
Rod Chadwick returns from his 2000-mile round trip to the Queen Charlotte Islands in British Columb...
I enjoy beekeeping now even more than I did in 2005, my first year of keeping bees. That first year, I followed most recommendations from books and classes, even if I was uncomfortable with them. Then in 2007, three-quarters of the honeybees in Ohio died from colony collapse disorder, including one of my two hives, and I became bolder about trusting my own instincts. The result has been that I enjoy beekeeping much more, and the number of beehives I have has increased from two to eight.

I think it’s important to read, meet other beekeepers through your local bee association, listen to their speakers, and even find a mentor for your first year. But I would encourage you to experiment and deviate from conventional wisdom, if you’re so inclined. In my experience, chemicals or artificial food supplements are not necessary. The following strategies have worked for me and will help you enjoy beekeeping right from the start.

Avoid Chemicals
Mite infestations are the primary reason chemicals are routinely used in beehives. I stopped all chemicals after my first year, and now I dust the bees with powdered sugar to help them groom off the mites. The bottoms of my hives are made of screen so that the mites fall through as the bees remove them (and can’t easily get back to the bees). Honeybees continue to live with mites, but gradually build sufficient resistance to stay healthy.

Bees forage over a 2-mile radius, so it’s difficult to protect them from all chemicals. Remind your neighbors that insecticides kill bees, which are necessary for pollination. It may help to bribe neighbors with a jar of honey.

Don’t Be Greedy
It sounds like common sense to allow the bees enough of their own honey and pollen to feed their young and stay healthy. But many people take the honey and honeycomb for profit and expect the bees to live on sugar water. If you want healthy bees, allow them the fruits of their labor. Healthy bees will make enough honey for you, too.

click on link for the rest of the article

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Successful Beekeeping Empty Re: Successful Beekeeping

Post by amybyrd21 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:00 pm

cool nice article. I will get back to posting as soon as they get my blood sugars back to where they are suppost to be. Hubby will enjoy reading this.

amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum