Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Seasoning  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store?

+2
Farmfresh
PATRICE IN IL
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store?

Post by mountainmama Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 am

We've stopped buying sliced bread, period. We were making bread occasionally, but now we're making ALL of our bread. It really doesn't take that much time. I need to start making our own buns, too.

For cooking, now that it's the summer months, I'm using the crockpot more. When we do bake the bread, I fix other things to put in the oven.

I'm not into the taste of dark meat, but chicken legs and thighs are cheap compared to chicken breast or beef. So, I boil up the legs/thighs to use in casseroles and save the broth to make chicken and rice soup. That soup is a huge hit with the family and hardly costs anything to make. It's my go-to meal, with cornbread, when we're waiting for pay day.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you doing to offset the price increases at the grocery store?

Post by Farmfresh Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 am

I heard some one say recently that the secret to lowering our grocery bills is to actually EAT all of the food we buy.  Eliminating the waste saves lots of money!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Fri May 30, 2014 4:33 am

Now that makes a lot of sense!

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 30, 2014 5:04 am

I've got to get back on the frugal bandwagon! I've been buying takeout way to often lately. It's so easy to over spend when you just don't feel very well. I need to start cooking my meals and quit buying so much snack/junk foods. With my DS home from school for the summer he'll be able to help cook dinner which should help a ton.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Fri May 30, 2014 8:12 am

I fall into that trap too often too.  When even standing for a few minutes is a problem fixing dinner gets ignored too often.  We need a thread of recipes that are a fast easy fix.  Maybe if we had fast easy stuff planned we would buy less junk.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 30, 2014 11:09 am

Good idea FF, I'll see what recipes I can come up with to post. Wink

Summer is usually a bit harder to deal with because I never know how hungry we'll be due to the heat/humidity.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Fri May 30, 2014 11:11 am

Agreed.  Plus some go to winter easy stuff, like soup is just too hot to deal with in the summer.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 30, 2014 11:15 am

I'm thinking of things like quiche, salads, BLT dip, wraps. Easy to prepare in the morning and pull out when we are hungry.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 30, 2014 11:31 am

OK, I started a thread titled Easy Summer Meals to share our favorites for summer dining ideas. Wink
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2