» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Thanksgiving EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Thanksgiving EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Thanksgiving EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Thanksgiving EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Thanksgiving EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Thanksgiving

Go down

Thanksgiving Empty Thanksgiving

Post by Rohn on Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:30 am

THANKSGIVING
II Corinthians 9:15

(2 Corinthians 9:15) Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (KJV)

An American admiral had a small card printed and circulated among his subordinates and workers. On it in gray type was this background: "It Can't Be Done," and then, in bold black type across this was printed, "But Here It Is." As we look at sin and realize its strength, defeat would seem to be inevitable were it not for Christ. "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." He is One Who keeps on giving us. This is not just one victory that God gives us but a constant experience of victory through Christ.

The Christian life has been called "a life of continual thanksgiving." Not simply thanksgiving at certain times but "continual”.

(Ephesians 5:20) Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; (KJV)

Paul emphasizes thanksgiving throughout his writings and uses the phrase in our text, "Thanks be to God" four times.

(1 Corinthians 15:57) But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  (KJV)

(2 Corinthians 2:14) Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.  (KJV)

(2 Corinthians 8:16) But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you.  (KJV)

(2 Corinthians 9:15)  Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.  (KJV)
All are veritable outbursts of gratitude. Let us, therefore, look at WHAT and WHY, so that we, too, may live this life of "continual thanksgiving."

I. THE DIVINE GIFT.
HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT. This means that God's great gift cannot be related, unutterable. It occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. The idea is, that no words can properly express the greatness of the gift thus bestowed on man. It is higher than the mind can conceive; higher than language can express.
Man had no claim on God. He could not compel Him to provide a plan of salvation; and the whole arrangements the selection of the Saviour, the sending Him into the world, and all the benefits resulting from His work, are all an undeserved gift to man.

1.  THIS IS A GIFT UNSPEAKABLY GREAT, WHOSE VALUE NO LANGUAGE CAN EXPRESS, NO HEART FULLY CONCEIVE.
It is so because:
(1) of His own greatness and glory;
(2) because of the inexpressible love which he has for us;
(3) because of the unutterable sufferings which he endured;
(4) because of the inexpressibly great benefits which result from his work. No language can do justice to this work in either of these respects; no heart in this world fully conceives the obligation which rests upon man in virtue of his work.

2.  THANKS SHOULD BE RENDERED TO GOD FOR THIS. WE OWE HIM OUR HIGHEST PRAISES FOR THIS.
This appears:
(1)  Because it was mere benevolence in God. We had no claim; we could not compel Him to grant us a Saviour. The gift might have been withheld, and His throne would have been spotless. We owe no thanks where we have a claim; where we deserve nothing, then he who benefits us has a claim on our thanks.

(2) Because of the benefits which we have received from Him. Who can express this? All our peace and hope; all our comfort and joy in this life; all our prospect of pardon and salvation; all the offers, of eternal glory are to be traced to Him. Man has no prospect of being happy when he dies, but in virtue of the "unspeakable gift" of God. And when he thinks of his sins; which may now be freely pardoned; when he thinks of an agitated and troubled conscience, which may now be at peace; when he thinks of his soul, which may now be unspeakably and eternally happy; when he thinks of the hell from which he is delivered, and of the heaven to whose eternal glories he may now be raised up by the gift of a Saviour, his heart should overflow with gratitude, and the language should be continually on his lips and in his heart; "THANKS BE UNTO GOD FOR HIS UNSPEAKABLE GIFT." Every other mercy should seem small compared with this; and every manifestation of right feeling in the heart should lead us to contemplate the source of it, and to feel, as Paul did, that all is to be traced to the unspeakable gift of God.

II. CONSIDER SOME GIFTS IN THE DIVINE GIFT.
1.  LOYALTY.
(1) Surrender.
(2 Corinthians 2:14) Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. (KJV)
He leads us in triumphal procession.

(2) Service.
(Romans 6:17) But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you. (KJV)

2.  LOVE.
(1) Consideration.
(2 Corinthians 8:16) But thanks be to God, which put the same earnest care into the heart of Titus for you. (KJV)
He has caused us to take careful thought and consideration of others.

(2) Action.
(2 Corinthians 8:17) For indeed he accepted the exhortation; but being more forward, of his own accord he went unto you. (KJV)
Sympathetic cooperation with others.
(2 Corinthians 8:9) For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich. (KJV)
This is all God's doing.

(James 1:2) My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;  (KJV)
Count your blessings instead of your crosses; Count your gains instead of your losses.
Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.
Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.
Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean. Count your health instead of your wealth;
Count on God instead of yourself.

3. LIFE.
(1) Present Power from the dominion of sin.
(Romans 7:25 - 8:2) I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.  (KJV)

(2) Future Victory.
(1 Corinthians 15:57-58) But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable always abounding in the work of the Lord forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. (KJV)

4.  LABOR.
(1 Timothy 1: 12) And  I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; (KJV)
(1) Equipped. "Who hath enabled me."
(2) Recognized. Tor that he counted me faithful."
(3) Authorized. "Putting me into the ministry."

(CONCLUSION)
1. THE SPIRIT OF A THANKFUL LIFE.
(1) Thankfulness in heart.
(2) Thanksgiving in words.
(3) Thanks-Iiving in actions.

2. THE STRENGTH OF A THANKFUL LIFE.
(1) Maintains fellowship - by the sweetening of prayer and the quickening of love.
(2) Preserves consistency - against murmuring and against pride.
(3) Energizes sympathy - freely received, so freely given.

3. THE SPLENDOR OF A THANKFUL LIFE.
(1) God's command obeyed.
(1 Thessalonians 5:18) In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (KJV)

A godly farmer was asked to dine with a well-known gentleman. While there, he asked a blessing at the table as he was accustomed to do at home. His host said jeeringly, "That is old fashioned; it is not customary nowadays for well-educated people to pray before they eat." The farmer answered that with him it was customary, but that some of those on his farm never prayed over their food. "Ah, then," said the gentleman, "they are sensible and enlightened. Who are they?' "My pigs," the farmer answered.

(2) God's gift recognized.
(Colossians 1:12) Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: (KJV)

(3) God's glory maintained.
(2 Corinthians 4: 15) For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of God. (KJV)

To "thank" we must "receive." Have we received Christ?
The art of thanksgiving is thanks-living, It is gratitude in action.
It is thanking God for the gift of life by living it triumphantly.
It is thanking God for your talents and abilities by accepting them as obligations to be invested for the common good.
It is thanking God for all that men and women have done for you by doing things for others.
It is thanking God for happiness by striving to make others happy.
It is thanking God for beauty by helping to make the world more beautiful.
It is thanking God for Inspiration by trying to be an inspiration to others.
It is thanking God for health and strength by the care and respect you show your body.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving

Post by dizzy on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:36 am

We take too much for granted w/never a thought of thanking God. Thanks for the reminder.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum