» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal

Go down

Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal Empty Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal

Post by Kate_29 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 am

Hello and God Bless! I am so excited I found this site! I am 32 and have been joyfully married for almost 8 years. God has not blessed us with children (yet?) but we have a house full of critters and always have "adopted" humans living with us! Right now an old friend who is getting back on her feet is staying with us and my 25 year old nephew will be moving back in for a while to go back to school. Life is good!

I am very new to the idea of becoming self sufficient, 5 years ago I was happily eating out of boxes and bags and was certain it was food. I was fine relying on stores for all my "needs". I believed everything doctors, dentists and the news told me. Oh boy have I changed! Anyway, we live in a small unincorporated town of about 2500 people. We live on 3 large lots equaling .44 acres and am trying to the best I can with what I have. We have 2 dairy goats whom I adore (Keira and Heidi) and 2 laying ducks (Beatrice and Betty) who are not yet laying and will soon get some more laying hens. I have a few fruit and nut trees and have been growing a small garden but I plan to grow a much larger one this next growing season.

Am open to questions and advise! I look forward to learning lots, making friends and praising GOD!

Kate_29

Back to top Go down

Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal Empty Re: Homesteader wannabe from Nor-Cal

Post by dizzy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:41 am

Welcome!

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 am

Welcome to the group. I will apologize right up front, I have a habit of referring to California as "The land of fruits and nuts". I mean no offense to anyone, and the phrase has dual meaning. The more southern regions have nearly year round growing potential.

Congratulations on the nearly 8 years of marriage. My Dear Wife and I celebrated 20 years as Husband and Wife on May 1st.

What caused the change? Was there one event or just a slow awakening? Are you gardening using organic methods or more conventional (chemical + Hybrids) methods?

Welcome again, and enjoy your stay.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:01 am

Glad you found our group, I hope you enjoy your time looking around.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate_29 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:13 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!

12acrehome, No worries! I am not easily offended and I think the name is well earned! Actually the area I am from is a big almond growing area (pretty much my entire family are either teachers or almond growers) and our unofficial slogan is "Home of the nuts" we even had flags and shirts with a little dancing almond on them with the town name then "home of the nuts" across the top. My husband and I have dreamed of leaving California, we almost bought a place in West Virginia and also Kentucky but I have a lot of family here and also love the weather...

To answer your question about what caused the change, I am not quite sure. I had a coworker who's mom was diagnosed with cancer with 3 months left to live and went through experimental treatment along with 80 other people with similar prognosis and 100% lived with zero side effects. But she said they refused to use the treatment because it was so cheap and they couldn't patent it to make money off of it, so instead they let people die and used more expensive "treatments". My 19 year old brain went wild but I eventually filed it away and went on business as usual. Then over the years I just have been noticing how crazy and backwards things seem to be getting... Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family and I could never understand why the doctor only advised them to control their blood sugar... Isn't irregular blood sugar only a symptom of a bigger problem? Isn't an ill functioning pancreas the real problem with most diabetics? I did more research and my conclusion was that processed foods, specifically ones containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils (EVERYTHING) disrupted the functions of the pancreas.... So why do they allow it in so many foods? And more researched followed and after more research and lots of prayer I decided not to let the people who make money off me being sick determine what I put in/on my body... Then I started researching gardening and raising animals and the things I read about GMO seeds and pesticides and herbicides and the chemicals that go into animal feed and what they can do. AAAAHHHHGGGG!!! Its all so overwhelming and so easy to claim defeat and just give in to all the madness. But I am trying to become more self sufficient. I am trying to grow and feed as organically as possible. I am not 100% but if I try to be I will probably give up. I am just trying to get a little better everyday. I am a lot better than I was 5 years ago, but still have a long way to go.

Hope I didn't go over board and already get deemed a "nut"! If I did, I am sure its deserved lol

Kate_29

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Nah. It just shows you fit right in here! Laughing 

Welcome to the forum!
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm

I agree with FF you are among friends here.

I was just curious, for me it's the corn being put in everything. GMO or otherwise, it is a starch that breaks down to insoluble sugars that are stored as fat, and can also affect the pancreatic function.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate_29 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:38 pm

I agree about the corn! I almost started in on it but decided to save it until another time! Glad you brought it up and that we are on the same page!~

Kate_29

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Kate29 you'll fit in here just fine Wink sounds like your motivation is what most of us are also experiencing.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Kate29, Welcome to the site. Glad to have you here and you seem to fit right in with all the rest of us.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:36 am

Kate, I know I'm late in welcoming you, but just got back from a mini vacation. Don't worry about not fitting in or offending anyone. I think most of us think the same as you do regarding GMO's ect. I see you have a couple of goats. What kind do you have? We have Nigerian Dwarfs and love them!!

BTW, one of my dearest friends use to live in California before she passed away. She use to work for a Christian radio station there, I believe it was KLOVE. She was a nut, but in a wonderful way. She was Messianic Jew and use to be such a worrier, then when we said something about worrying too much she would tell us she was genetically disposed to kvetching. Smile I sure miss her and her kvetching.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by CryptidGirl on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 am

Welcome! Glad you're here!
CryptidGirl
CryptidGirl

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:19 pm

I have not been on for awhile due to working extra hours and health issues, but I would also like to welcome you.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by gramaki on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Welcome, Kate!
gramaki
gramaki

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down