Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Getting excited! EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Getting excited! EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Getting excited! EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Getting excited! EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Getting excited! EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Getting excited! EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Getting excited! EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Getting excited! EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Getting excited! EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  recipes  Taco  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Getting excited!

+2
Rohn
dizzy
6 posters

Go down

Getting excited! Empty Getting excited!

Post by dizzy Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 am

I've never had much luck w/my incubator, and honestly wasn't going to try and hatch any eggs this year. Then, a friend had one of her chickens killed-the only green egg layer. She had 7 of her eggs still and tried to get one of her hens to go broody-it didn't work. So, I popped them in my incubator along w/some of my eggs.

Since I don't really want to have a bunch of chicks in my kitchen, I decided I was going to try and get 1 of my girls to go broody. I know my older 2 won't, but I have 6 that I got last May. And, since I didn't want to leave my good eggs in w/them, I got a dozen store bought. Well, it didn't take long B4 one of them went broody!

I've tried a couple of times to move her into my broody pen-w/no luck. I stayed out at the farm until well past dark the other night, then moved her and covered the opening w/a tarp-and stuck a brick on top of it to hold it in place. I got there early the next morning so I could take the tarp off hoping she'd settle in there. Well, she came out, got something to eat and drink-then started trying to get back to the main coop, so I let her go and put her eggs back.

I've been checking my eggs and know that-unless something happens-I should get at least a few to hatch! My plan is, once they've hatched to go out at night, take all of my other chickens out of the coop, then put the chicks in w/my hen and shut up the coop. (I'll spend the night in my tack shed when I do that.) Then, in the morning, if she's accepted them as her own, I'll move them into my broody pen.

I'm getting excited. If this works, this will be the first that I've been able to get chicks from my birds. I'm hoping that she's not the only one that will go broody for me. If I can get one to go broody, and stay in the broody pen, then I'll let them do the work of hatching and raising the chicks for me.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Getting excited! Empty Re: Getting excited!

Post by Rohn Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 am

That is exciting and sounds good so far. Hope it all works out and all the eggs hatch.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 am

I'm excited for you and can't wait to see how everything turns out.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Fri May 31, 2013 3:50 am

Sounds like a good plan, I hope it works for you. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Fri May 31, 2013 8:59 am

Very clever, I hope it works.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 am

Well, the eggs are in lock down in the bator! I'll be checking the temp a lot between now and Sunday morning.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 am

I had the temp spike the other morning, and my heart sank. I thought for sure that all the eggs were fried. I took the top off, got the temp down, then picked up one of the eggs and candled it. I could see movement. I kept checking the temp, made a few more adjustments, and it stayed where it belonged.

This morning, I decided to double check the eggs. I picked up the same one-and still saw movement. So, I picked up another one and saw movement in that one as well! I keep hearing something, and am not sure if I hear a chick trying to get out or what. It's past my bed time-but I don't know that I want to go to bed now.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am

this could be the time they choose to emerge, VERY exciting!!
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 pm

How exciting, probably no rest for you tonight.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:58 pm

Still nothing. And, I'm not going to be home until late! I do a lot of volunteer work at a local nature center, and they have something going on this afternoon. They'll be hundreds of people there. So, I'll be heading there straight from church-after I change my clothes in the bathroom. So, hubby will have to watch for me.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:11 am

It's like waiting for my goats to kid. Smile Can't wait to hear you have a bunch of little ones chirping away.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:45 am

Well, I can see where one is trying to get out-but still nothing. I haven't heard any peeping since I got home and hubby can't hear them. So, I don't know what's been going on.

OK, I was all set to post this when I heard a cheep. I might not sleep that well tonight.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:44 am

LOL so excited for you
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mountainmama Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 am

Oh Dizzy, we just went through this 4 weeks ago! It never gets old, hatching chickens. I'm so excited for you.

Now that we have WAY too many babies on our hands, three hens finally decided to go broody. Go figure that one! We tried to get them to adopt these babies, but no, they want to hatch their own.

mountainmama

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 pm

I have one of mine out, and one of my friends has pipped! I woke up about an hour ago, and could hear the one. I finally gave up trying to go back to sleep and got up. I think I'm going to be tired tonight. Laughing

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 pm

cheers
chicks on the way
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Do you know what time it is when your eggs hatch?

It's chick out time. Very Happy

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 am

4 out, and 1 more pipped!

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 am

Well, I took the whole incubator out w/me. I figured I'd remove the dud eggs and put any that hadn't hatched under her, and leave the incubator in there so she'd hear the chicks peeping, and hopefully accept them.

She settled down on the eggs w/no problem. It wasn't quite dark, so I figured I'd wait until it good and dark B4 I tried adding the 4 chicks. I added them, and then waited.

I'll admit, I don't have a lot of experience w/how a broody acts when the chicks first come out. And, she could have been OK. But, she kept turning her head and pecking at the chicks. I'd hear them cry out, so I wasn't sure if she was hurting them or not. Finally, I got to where I couldn't take it any longer. So, I went back in, got the chicks, put them back in the incubator and came on home. I'm just not set up for running the incubator out at the farm for that long, and it's going to be a cool night. So, it looks like I'm going to be raising 4 chicks.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:27 am

I hope the hen accepts the remaining eggs. Good luck with your 4 new chicks. Smile
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:17 am

Not only has she accepted them, but at least 1 has hatched out! And, she seemed fine w/it. Another one looked liked it pipped. Tomorrow, I'm planning on taking the chicks back w/me. Then, if she's off the nest, and has accepted any chicks that have hatched out, I'm going to gather them all up and put them in one container. I'll put that in my broody pen, then go and get the hen.

Once everyone is in the pen, I'll let them all loose. And hopefully, since they'll all be the same age, she won't know the difference. And if it still doesn't work, then I'll have to raise them.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to tell the difference between my chicks and the others. Well, it's not a problem. Mine are Americaunas. Her's are an Americauna mix. There's a big difference in the chicks. I just hope they're not all roosters. Neutral

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:58 am

I took the chicks out w/me today-and she's still sitting on the eggs! Plus, it looks like she squashed one that was partially out. So, I took a chick, picked her up, put the chick in under her and put her down. The chick tried to escape, but she didn't have a problem w/it. I waited several minutes, then tried w/the 2nd then the 3rd and then the 4th! She accepted all of them. It's a good thing she can't count.

If she's still on the eggs tomorrow, I'm going to have to do something to get her off of them, even if I have to put them all in the broody pen. The chicks are not able to get up into the nesting boxes. I put one back in w/her 2x today, and RU is going to check her this evening to make sure they'll all still in there.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am

sounds like you've got it well handled
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 am

Moving the eggs like that might have cost me some chicks, but not having my chickens at home really makes it rough. If I had been able to get her to stay in the broody pen, I would have tried to get the eggs under her earlier. I've been coming up w/ideas for moving a broody.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down