Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Sloppy  Taco  recipes  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway

3 posters

Go down

I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway Empty I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway

Post by Sonshine Tue May 14, 2013 3:29 am

We got our beans, purple hull peas, cucumbers, sweet potatoes and a few more tomato plants in today. That should be it until we start our fall garden. So far we have cabbage that is almost ready to harvest, lettuce and spinach that we're harvesting, squash that should be ready in a couple of days and tomatoes that are blooming. Oh, and our English peas are about ready to harvest. They're loaded with pods. Smile In my herb garden I got some more comfrey in, plus plantain, blood veined sorrel, chamomile, lady's mantle, stinging nettles, valarian and feverfew. I still have angelica, yarrow, fenegreek, bee balm and a few others that are ready to go in, but have to wait for Joe to finish putting the walk way in. He did get my arbor up and we planted honeysuckle on it. He also got another couple of pieces of lattice up for confederate jasmine and carolina jasmine. It's starting to look nice and smell nice. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway Empty Re: I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway

Post by Harvey_Birdman Tue May 14, 2013 5:05 am

Man you sure do get a head start in the warmer states. It frosted here last night. I had to cover everything.

It is strange to me to think of someone planting some of what you listed on purpose. Here plantain, nettles, and sorrel are all native. Most people concider them weeds, because they grow so much here they will take over if you don't keep them in check. I have never cared much for plantain, but Ilike nettles, and love sorrel.

God bless,
Chad
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway Empty Re: I think we're finally done with the planting, for now anyway

Post by Sonshine Tue May 14, 2013 5:43 am

I start a lot of my plants in the house in January, then move them to the greenhouse as they get bigger. The plantain, nettles and sorrel are in my medicinal herb garden. I'm sure I could probably find it in the wild, but wouldn't know if someone had used chemicals on them to try to get rid of them. In my garden I have the ability to insure they are chemical free. Smile Also have the ease of harvesting them without traipsing in the woods. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Tue May 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Very true, I live on the side of a mountian, and of my 15 acres 14 1/2 are wooded. so it is a little different for me. LOL!

Have you ever tried eating them just as food (I am not sure if you eat them when used as a med?) Sorrel is very good as a trail side snack or in salad. Nettles are best wilted over an open flame, and plantain is used as a pot herb like spinish around here. I don't like plantian, but this is mostly because I HAD to eat it as a kid. We didn't have much else sometimes.
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm pretty close to being done planting as well. I've got tomatoes, bell peppers, jalepeno peppers, spinach, collards, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, red & green cabbage, onions, garlic, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, leeks, chard, kale, green beans, & celery all in so far. I still need to get the trellises up for the pumpkins & watermelons. I also need to sow a few more herbs for the kitchen garden---dill, thyme, chives, oregano, basil.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 am

Chad, I've never tried eating them, guess I need to figure out how to prepare them for food.

Patrice, sounds like you're doing well. Can't wait to see pictures of everyone's gardens.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PATRICE IN IL Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am

I got my cabbage and cauliflower plants today as well as some red & white begonias that are going to be planted in an old blue speckled water bath canning pot.

I still haven't been able to upload my pictures, I don't think I can do it from my tablet and there is something wrong with my desk top computer so I can't load them from it.
PATRICE IN IL
PATRICE IN IL
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down