Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  recipes  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

Divine Love - I Corinthians 13

3 posters

Go down

Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 Empty Divine Love - I Corinthians 13

Post by Rohn Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am

Valentine's Day is coming up so I thought this would fit in.
You will need your Bibles for this one. I Corinthians 13.

There are four things I would like to notice about Divine Love in this chapter.
I. ABSOLUTE NECESSITY.
1. The apostle declares nothingness of life without love. He supposes some extreme cases:

(1) THE ACQUISITION OF ALL LANGUAGES; including heavenly (v. 1). Talking power without love is noise without music, sounding brass; clanging cymbals.

(2) THE MOST EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE.
(Matthew 7:22-23) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (KJV)

(3) STARTLING FAITH (v. 2). Here is faith which does not work by love, and is useless except for boast and display.

(4) ABOUNDING CHARITY (v.3). The work of charity lies not in WHAT we give, but HOW we give it.
An evangelist had held a service, at the close of which a little girl presented a bouquet of flowers, the first, spring had brought forth. He asked, "Why do you give me these flowers?" She answered, "Because I love you." "Do you bring the Lord Jesus such gifts of your love at times?" he inquired. "Oh," said the little one, with an angelic smile,
"I give myself to him!"
That surely is the highest kind of giving, and without it, all other giving is in vain. To so give takes love, and without love every sacrifice is profitless.
(1 Corinthians 13:3) And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. (KJV)

(5) UNLIMITED SELF-SURRENDER (v. 3). The martyr is made not by the burning of the body, but by the love which binds the truth to the heart, and will not go at any cost.

2. WHY IS IT THAT LIFE WITHOUT LOVE IS NOTHING?
The motive is more than the deed. The internal is greater than the external.
Unless we have love we cannot be brought near to God. God is Love. Love is of Divine essence.

II. CHARACTERISTICS OF LOVE.
1. PATIENT AND UNCOMPLAINING (v. 4).
(1) "Suffers long."

(2) "IS NOT EASILY PROVOKED" (v. 5).

(3) "BEARETH ALL THINGS" (v. 7),
Is willing to bear the burdens that others may be free.
A miner worked very hard every day in the mines for a living. The overseer of the mine said to him one day, "Thomas. I've got an easier berth for you, where there is not much hard work, and where you will get better wages. Will you accept it?” Most men would have jumped at such
an offer. But what did this noble fellow do? He said to the overseer: "Captain, there's our poor brother Tregony, he has a sickly body, and not able to do as hard a work as I can. I am afraid it will shorten His life and then what will his poor family do? Won't you please let him have this easier berth? I can go' on working as I have done." The overseer was wonderfully pleased with Thomas's generous spirit. He was a faithful friend.
Divine love hides instead of advertises when injuries are received. It does not avenge.

(4) "ENDURETH ALL THINGS" (v. 7). It even endures neglect and persecution in a calm and Christian spirit.

2. IT IS KIND (v. 4). Willing to perform good offices for others. Desires to be useful; obliging, and helpful. It is kind after much suffering and ill usage. It is kind when showing mercy. Some show mercy unkindly, and utterly spoil the beauty of the deed.

3. IT IS HUMBLE (v. 4). "Vaunteth not itself; is not puffed up." Does not seek to win praise or applause.

4. LOVE IS UNSELFISH (v. 5). "Seeketh not her own."
Loses sight largely of self. Love is not filled with thoughts of her own rights, she thinks rather of the thoughts of others. "Envies not." is not jealous of the endowments of others; recognizes that God has set the members every one of them in the body, as it has pleased Him.
(1 Corinthians 12:18) But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. (KJV)

5. LOVE IS WELL BEHAVED (v. 5). "Doth not behave itself unseemly.” Love never acts out of place or character. It observes good manners; is never rude, bearish, or brutish; and is ever willing to become all things to all men that it may please them for their good to edification.

6. LOVE IS CHARITABLE IN JUDGMENT (v. 5). "Thinks no evil." Does not delight to impute motives. Does not make the worst but the best of things. Does not gloat over the evil done.

7. LOVE IS PURE (v. 6). Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in truth. Is not in sympathy with evil. Is not pleased to see evil but is pained. When truth triumphs, love rejoices.

8. LOVE IS TRUSTFUL (v. 7). "Believes all things." Is not suspicious. Does not esteem doubt and distrust the chief virtues, Believes all that can with good conscience be believed to the credit of others.

9. LOVE IS HOPEFUL (v. 7). "Hopes all things." Hopes when others without love have ceased to hope; is unwilling to regard any as hopeless. Hopes for good rather than bad from men. Is not in agreement with despondency and despair. Is anchored in God and hopes on. Thus sweetly does the apostle chant the praises of Christian love.

PERFECT LOVE
Stow to suspect - quick to trust,
Slow to condemn - quick to justify,
Slow to offend - quick to defend,"
Slow to expose - quick to shield,
Slow to reprimand - quick to forbear,
Slow to belittle - quick to appreciate,
Slow to demand - quick to give,
Slow to provoke - quick to conciliate,
Slow to hinder - quick to help,
Slow to resent - quick to forgive.

III. ITS ETERNAL PERMANENCE.
"Charity never fails" (v. Cool. Other things fail, but not Divine love: Prophesies fail, tongues shall cease, and knowledge shall vanish away, but not love, for love NEVER fails.

IV. ITS ABSOLUTE SUPREMACY.
"And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three;
but the greatest of these is charity" (v. 13).

1. Love is the greatest because it is the root of the other two; we believe in only that which we love; we hope only for that which we love.

2. And love is the greatest because love is for our neighbors; faith and hope is mainly for ourselves.

3. And love is the greatest because faith and hope are human, but God is Love.

4. And finally, love is greatest because faith and hope can only work by love, and only show themselves by love.
Thus love is the undivided perfection of sevenfold light. Faith and hope are precious stones of one color, as ruby and sapphire; but love, as he has been showing us throughout this chapter, is a diamond of many facets.

And now the question is, do you possess PERFECT LOVE?

BY GOD'S GRACE YOU CAN!

Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Divine Love - I Corinthians 13 Empty Re: Divine Love - I Corinthians 13

Post by Sonshine Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Very timely messaage Roh,. I don't think I possess perfect love in all things yet, but God's still working on me. Smile
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

this is close to the message that the preacher (Bro Keith Sanderson) gave at our wedding, May 1st 1993. Thanks for posting
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum