» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
me with my bees EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
me with my bees EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
me with my bees EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
me with my bees EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
me with my bees EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Taco  Seasoning  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

me with my bees

Go down

me with my bees Empty me with my bees

Post by Evie1 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:31 am

hi all. just thought I would send a link to a picture of me, with some of my bees. this was a few years ago. I don't keep bees anymore. but loved it when i did. had 160 hives. 6 hives per pallet, and 3 supers up. this picture was in Hemit calif. we was harvesting orange honey. also pollinating the orange trees. they was very calm. they love citrus trees, unlike onions. they got mean there. i am in full outfit. the smell of the blossoms was to die for. thanks for looking.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL177/13553743/24257260/405155023.jpg
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

me with my bees Empty Re: me with my bees

Post by Evie1 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 am

just a note, even though I don't keep bees anymore. I still have hives around my house. they are wild. because, I have a school next door. I can't keep them any more. but the ones that came in with the honey , harvest, congregated to the desert, and made there own hives. they still come hear. ( no not 160 hives. sold them. lol)
I make sure I have lots of water for them, and lots of flowers to keep them alive through the winter. they still swarm. under my ivy harbors. and I have to knock them down in boxes. making sure I get the old queen. then give them to a locale bee keeper. I am not sure what kind they are anymore. but they look like 3 banded Italians. they are very calm. I only hope they can keep comming to my gardon. I love them so much.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:38 pm

my first, or earliest if you prefer, desire to keep bees was when I was just out of diapers. I used to catch individual honey bees in my bare hands and just release them when I got tired of playing with the bee. I remember many many successful catch and releases, but only one sting. One day I will have a few hives for my personal enjoyment.

Proverbs 28:19  He who works his land will have abundant food...

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

http://christiancountryramblings.com/
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm

Evie, That is an interesting post. I had bees a few years ago but cannot keep them where I now live. I only had 2 hives though. Some day maybe I'll live where I can keep them again. Love that honey.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:59 am

I'd like to have bees one day, but won't have them here. I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. Plus, I'm allergic to bee stings so I'm really torn as to whether or not I'll ever get them. And honey bees is my worst bee allergy. As it is, I get monthly shots and carry an epipen w/me for just in case.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:01 am

Rohn, hopefully you can have bees again. I also wish I could move to a place where I had a big pasture for my horses, and bees. even though we had so many bees, we still didn't keep them at are house. they was kept in different places through the year. we was ether at some ones farm pollinating or some ones orchard collecting necktor, and or pollen. going to the Almonds in Bakersfield Calif, was the big money maker. we would winter down the hill from me. and give them extra feed and meds, my old wood working shop used to be my extracting room. we would go down and work the hives, moveing the honey, up. and leaving 1 frame of pollen and 2 frames of honey on the bottom super, to keep the queen down, and room for the new bee larva. and the rest of the honey up. then bring it home. the honey, and extract it. it was very hard work, you can only left the supers full of honey up with only your figure tips. and they could weigh up to 90 lbs. and not to mention, we would move them at night. and bees don't make noise at night. they just crawl. lol. and they go to the warmest place. up your sleeves. lol. I got stung many times. right under my arm pits. ouch. we would smoke them. and most would go down, but we still brought lots of bees home. I sure miss that fresh undiluted honey.
i used to always have at least 2 hives behind my barns, for my garden, but with the school next door, and all the housing going up. I can't any more. so now I just depend on all the wild bees. and my garden is covered with bees every year. I keep small pieces of wood floating in my pool. so they have lots of water. they get on the wood, and siffin or just drink from the wood. and I have something blooming all year around to give them neckter or pollen. right now, they can't hardly move, but if the day warms up past 40 degrees. they can come and there is food and water for them. they don't have to fly very far. don't know about you guys, but I don't think we could get far with out are bees. thanks for looking

Last edited by Evie1 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 am

Dizzy, that is a hardship for sure. you don't wont to mess with that. we used to carry Syringes with us. encase some ones throat would start to swell. and you would get a shot right through your cloths. any one can get a allergy, even if you never had one before. if you ever do get bees, please wear full gear. and try to keep cool as you can. if they have cause to get defensive, they will head to your warmest place and sting you there. leaving a smell in that place. and you will get stung many times in the same place. they are not trying to be mean. just defending their home. and they are willing to die. they do die when they sting you. sad huh. but they do. good honey bees are not mean, just curious. and will fly around you looking to see if your something, good or if your bad. hair spray, perfume, etc. color. is all factors. if you start swatting at them, well you invite a fight. and they will leave off a smell to alert other bees to come help. if you ever get into trouble. just cover your face, eyes, ears, mouth, and walk into a bush or something .. they will follow you, but get discouraged buy the plants. please try to keep calm. don't trow your arms around in fear. just cover your face, and walk into a bush or low tree branches. and wait for help. or them to leave.
I don't know it all buy any means. and I am sure you know your limits. just trying to help. bees are not bad insects, they are , one of the most wonderful insects God ever gave us. heck we wouldn't have a lot of are foods with out bees, and butterfly's. etc. but like ants, they are some of the most productive, and are willing to kill anything or any one who they feel is a threat, to their lively hood. If you have a allergy to them. you could die. so please be careful if you ever do get bees.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:02 am

12acrehome wrote:my first, or earliest if you prefer, desire to keep bees was when I was just out of diapers. I used to catch individual honey bees in my bare hands and just release them when I got tired of playing with the bee. I remember many many successful catch and releases, but only one sting. One day I will have a few hives for my personal enjoyment.

Holly cow. you would catch them in your hands, and play with them . I have never been privileged to do that. I have cought drones and scared my friends to death with them ,. lol. but they don't sting. I have also moved them away from my water spickets. when they was trying to get water. with my bare hands. I have also coated my arm with honey, to see if I could make a full arm dress with them. but never happened. bounce I pretty much raised bees for the honey and pollen. also to pollinate my garden. that is so cool that you could do that. you must be something speichale. I could only hope they would ever trust me that much. thanks for sharing that.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalm25 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm

Back in my not so Christian days when I first started keeping bee's my best buddy and I were notorious for playing pranks on each other. One night we went out for wings and a couple drinks. I had my back turned talking to another buddy and he slipped an entire bottle of red hot sauce in my beer. When I turned around and took a drink it felt like someone knocked the wind out of me lol. I told him I would top his prank in time. A month or so latter I noticed one of my hives had tons of drones and drone brood. Turns out something happened to my queen without my knowing and I had been removing all the queen cells, so without a queen a worker started to lay and of course a worker can only lay drone eggs. I had to get rid of all the drones so I put a bunch in a mason jar, almost filled it full. I called up my buddy and invited him out for a game of pool. while there I went out the back door and opened the bottle of drones in his car, then went back in and said I was going to call it a day. Well, when he got to the car I don't think I have ever seen someone jump so high or scream so loud in my life Very Happy Personally I think it topped the hot sauce lol
Psalm25
Psalm25

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:36 pm

lol!

ahem not cool

lol!

but I LOVE IT!!

Genesis 1:29  Then God said,"I give you every seed bearing plant on the face of the whole earth, and every tree that has fruit with seed in it..."

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 pm

As long as he wasn't allergic, yeah I can see doing this. But I know if someone did this to me, it would not be appreciated in the least!

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalm25 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 am

No worries Dizzy, drones don't sting, they have no stingers. He was not allergic to bee's, but even if he was he couldn't have gotten stung. Partly because they don't sting, and partly because he ran away from the car so fast he might have broken a land speed record lol
Psalm25
Psalm25

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 am

That's not the point. I know drones have no stingers. But for someone who does deal w/that allergy, a prank like that is as bad as someone who feeds peanuts to someone they know is allergic. Not trying to come down on you, just offering a perspective from someone who lives w/this.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:51 am

Oh Dizzy. your so funny. of course it is funny . but not to the person it is happening too. but then chocking on hot stuff isn't ether. I didn't see anything that Psalm 25 said that coused me to believe the other guy was allergic. and he also said it was in his wilder days. I am sure he wouldn't do such a horable thing like that again. lol. would you. hehe
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 am

Evie, I think that is a very funny story.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalm25 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 am

dizzy wrote:That's not the point. I know drones have no stingers. But for someone who does deal w/that allergy, a prank like that is as bad as someone who feeds peanuts to someone they know is allergic. Not trying to come down on you, just offering a perspective from someone who lives w/this.

I agree, it was not the best prank when it comes to common sense. I would not have done it to anyone but him, we were closer than most brothers are and I think it was our pranks on each other that made our friendship so strong. I've matured a lot since those days, but still good memories. Smile
Psalm25
Psalm25

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Evie1 wrote:
12acrehome wrote:my first, or earliest if you prefer, desire to keep bees was when I was just out of diapers. I used to catch individual honey bees in my bare hands and just release them when I got tired of playing with the bee. I remember many many successful catch and releases, but only one sting. One day I will have a few hives for my personal enjoyment.

Holly cow. you would catch them in your hands, and play with them . I have never been privileged to do that. I have cought drones and scared my friends to death with them ,. lol. but they don't sting. I have also moved them away from my water spickets. when they was trying to get water. with my bare hands. I have also coated my arm with honey, to see if I could make a full arm dress with them. but never happened. bounce I pretty much raised bees for the honey and pollen. also to pollinate my garden. that is so cool that you could do that. you must be something speichale. I could only hope they would ever trust me that much. thanks for sharing that.

missed this earlier, somehow... Yes when I was just 4 or maybe 5 I could catch honey bees in my bare hands, I would cup my hands under the flower (usually a dandelion) and gently lift the bee from the flower, and could play with the bee. They might have been drones for all I know, but I was only stung once. I have not tried that as an adult, and really believe it was the innocence of youth that kept me from many more stings.

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Don't know that they'd be drones. Along w/no stingers, drones aren't equipped to collect honey. They have one purpose and only one. And, they'll get kicked out of the hive B4 winter since they're nothing but a drag on the colony.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalm25 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 pm

dizzy wrote:Don't know that they'd be drones. Along w/no stingers, drones aren't equipped to collect honey. They have one purpose and only one. And, they'll get kicked out of the hive B4 winter since they're nothing but a drag on the colony.

Drones are easy to tell apart from workers to the trained eye, they are fat and have a rounded bottom rather than the more pointy bottom that a worker has. It is true that in a normal hive the ratio is 100 workers to 1 drone, but when there is no queen a hive the workers will take a fresh egg and put it in royal jelly to make a queen. If there are no fresh eggs (older than 3 days) the workers are not able to make a queen, so a worker (sometimes more than one) will start laying eggs herself. Workers can only produce many eggs, but they can only produce drones. At over 1500 eggs/day it does not take long to have a hive over run with tens of thousands of drones. A drone is not able to fit through a queen excluder, so all the honey chambers above the brood chamber can be placed on other hives with newspaper between to give the old and new bee's a chance to accept each others scent. That leaves just the workers and drones in the brood chamber. When it is opened up and all the bee's are shaken off the combs, the lazy drones (who for the most part only take flight once a day in the evening around 5pm for a short flight above the hive) will fall to the ground, but the workers will fly back onto the comb. The comb can then be shaken into the honey chambers so the few workers can join their friends. There will be a few drones on the combs and a few workers on the ground mixed in with the drones, but not enough to make any difference ether way. Then one can hand pick each drone and put in a container, the ratio of bees on the ground being around 3 workers to 1000 drones, hand picking them makes it almost impossible to put a worker in the jar... there would be a better chance of getting stung by a bee in your house in the middle of winter then the chance of having a worker bee in the jar of drones lol Smile But again, there is that 1:100000 risk, so I do totally agree it is not the best prank to pull on someone if your not 100% sure they can accept the joke, and if your not 100% sure if they are allergic to bee's or not Smile
Psalm25
Psalm25

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:33 am

Wondering if raw honey is expensive? I have trouble walking so don't go to the store much, but have been wanting to get some raw honey to keep on hand.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 am

Wondering if raw honey is expensive? I have trouble walking so don't go to the store much, but have been wanting to get some raw honey to keep on hand.

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by carla on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 am

carla

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:39 pm

locally no, a couple of the local hobby bee keepers sell their excess for $2 a pint give or take, and a pint of honey will last quite a while

12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum