Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  recipes  Sloppy  Taco  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering

4 posters

Go down

how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering Empty how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering

Post by amybyrd21 Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 am

amybyrd21
amybyrd21
Admin

http://waylandcook.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering Empty Re: how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering

Post by Evie1 Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:05 am

mmm another old thread. but if you still wish to know some things about butchering a cow. I do know some things. I will wait till you reply.
Evie
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering Empty Re: how-to-butcher-cow-or-beef-butchering

Post by 12acrehome Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I'll bite...
We raise cattle, sell some at auction, fatten a very few and send them to a trusted processor. We do not have the facilities to process beef. Venison, on the other hand, we do process ourselves.

Always interested in learning more.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 am

you know when I was young. long long time ago. it meant a lot to me to raise my own meat. but in a small way. I raised turkeys, rabbits, pigs, and chickens, and a calf every 2 years. also goats for milk. I have done some hunting in my older days. sooo when I we wonted to butcher are first cow. I would talk to tons of folks. on how to. and no one would tell me. ?? I wonted to do things as clean as possible, and as humain to the cow as possible. I don't think I have much of anything to offer some one who raises beef to sale at auction or in a big way. I was only offering how I learned to do it in my back yard. we would get are hoist ready to hoist the cow up. from the back legs. had to be very high and able to hold 900 lbs or more. it also had to be where the cow was. I do have pictures but don't know how to post them yet. I know there is many ways to shoot the cow, but we would visualize a line between the horn and the eye. and X marked the spot. there brain is pretty small, also on a pig. and shoot them in that spot. downward if possible. so not to go through the tummy. they would drop right now. then go in for the juggler. that would be under the jaw, up and through the juggler. left them up. and bleed them. not a fun thing to do, but that is was what we did. after they bleed out. then we would start are gutting and skinning. more then I could explain hear. there is a way to hold the knife, so not to cut the rectum or gut etc. or on a deer the glands on the back legs. also on a deer you should not touch the meat if possible while skinning. on are cow, we then would put it in the back of are truck. and hall it to are market in are small town to let it hang there in there cooler, to cure. at least 3 weeks. we also had a butcher friend that would let us hang are cows there. for a small price, or some meat. on are pigs, we did the same, but we could hang them in are barn, ( in the winter months ) but only until the body heat was gone. we would rap them in a very clean sheet. to save them from dust and bugs. then on the cows, I would go down and get a 1/4 at a time, bring it home and cut it up to what ever we wonted, rap and freeze. i used the old white freezer paper with plastic inside. doing a small amount at once, i could layer the meat to freeze fast. on the pigs, we would take the ribs, and back legs down to a smoker friend, but I also loved just fresh pork, and made my own sausage, and scrappal, head cheese etc. i don't have a smoker or I would have stuffed my own intestines, for sausages. I totally don't know every thing, but this is what we did. and it was important to me, that I could do it. it meant a lot to me to use just as much of the cow or pig, etc as I could to not waist anything. I even tanned the hides. new thread there. so I am always willing to learn new ways. that is just what I did. on how to cut a cow up. there is many books out there to teach you. grinding meat etc.
Evie
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Sounds alot like what we do... steers are sected for size and age, kept on grass for 12 months, grain finished for 3 months, then a 21 day hang in the processors cooler. The biggest thing about an extended hanging / ageing period is the meat must have a good thick fat layer to protect it from oxygen. If the fat layer is not there, the meat will spoil. Pork and beef can be aged to improve flavor, and help tenderize it. Venison and other lean and / or wild meats do not have the fat to keep the meat from spoiling. Most poultry will spoil if aged also.

Sounds like you and I have lived similar experiences.
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Very interesting Evie.
I have never butchered a cow, although I remember my Dad butchering cows and pigs, but I was pretty young then. I have butchered many deer, rabbits, chickens and turkeys.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Evie1 Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:52 am

I have never done a goat or sheep. just couldn't , that is where the girlie came out in me. I don't like shooting deer ether. but I sure love eating them. I was borne in Callarado. and thats what are family did. hunt deer. I sure miss the meat. in the winter my unkal and cousins. would trap beaver for their hides.
I like your set up for doing turkeys. I see you put them upside down in a cone or bucket. bet that works great, no flopping all over the ground. they are so heavy to lay over a chopping block. I used to just walk behind them and use a shot gun and shoot them in the back of the head. then move away. your method is much better. wondering, how do you do your rabbits. thanks.
Evie1
Evie1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum