Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
Philippians 4:8 Bible Study EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

Seasoning  Taco  Sloppy  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week

Philippians 4:8 Bible Study

Go down

Philippians 4:8 Bible Study Empty Philippians 4:8 Bible Study

Post by kerrig on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:11 am

Philippians 4:8,9-Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue, and if there is anything praiseworthy-meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
True-conformable to fact; truthful, genuine, constant, faithful, loyal, honest, exact, correct; right.
Noble-of lofty lineage; belonging to the peerage, illustrious, lofty in character, magnaimous, magnificient; stately-a person of rank; a peer.
Just-right; acting rightly; upright, impartial; fair, due, merited; exact.
Pure-free from what vitiates, weakens, or pollutes; containing nothing that does not properly belong; free from moral fault or guilt; marked by chastity.
Lovely-delightful for beauty, harmony, or grace; eliciting love by moral or ideal worth.
Good report-good-of a favorable character tendency; virtuous, right, commendable. report-common talk or an account spread by common talk.
Virtue-conformity to a standard of right; a particular moral excellence.
Praiseworthy-laudable-worthy of praise.

True, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtue, praiseworthy.

Who is genuine, magnificient, upright, free from moral fault? Who elicits love by moral worth? Who is virtuous or commendable? Who is of moral excellence and who is worthy of praise?

In todays world the answer to those questions would be-no one. Are any of of our sportsmen these things? Any of our politicians? Any musicians? Any preachers? Any person at all?
I'm not.
When I think of how I spend my time-reading, watching t.v., facebook and forums-I am wasting precious time. Time goes by so fast. We are only given a short period on this Earth to live our lives for Christ. What are we doing with our time?
Are we meditating on things or the one person who fulfills the questions above? Where do our affections lie? With Jesus? Do we truly belong to Him? Does He have our heart? Or do things of this world have our heart?

Exodus 20:3 says, "You shall have no other gods before me."

Idol-an image or symbol of a deity consecrated as an object of worship; a person honored to adoration; anything on which we set our affections inordinately.

If our hearts are set on anything other than God then that person or thing is an idol to us.

If that thing or person does not cause us to think or meditate on things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, having virtue or being praiseworthy, then they waste our time.
We need to examine our hearts. Do we use the things above to speak of others? When someone comes to mind do we have good thoughts of that person, no matter how they have wronged us?
Or do we have hateful thoughts? Do we grumble and complain about them?

James 5:9 says "Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door!"

1 Peter 4:7-9 says "But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. And above all things have fervent love for one another for love will cover a multitude of sins. Be hospitable to one another without grumbling."

fervent-Burning, vehement, ardent; earnest.
love-to regard with affection, to like, to delight in. Warm affection; fond attachment.

Do we have fervent love for others?
For those that most of us have considered "beneath" us?
The homeless person we walk by and ignore. The "special needs" child. The single mom or dad. The drug addict or prostitute. The divorced person. The homosexual. The rapist. The one dying of AIDS. The poor and hungry. The wealthy. The person who has hurt us most. The person of a different faith or denomination from us.
What are our thoughts toward them? What words do we use when we speak of them? Are we loving them unconditionally?

unconditional-not limited by conditions; absolute.

Matthew 12: 36, 37 says "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified and by your words you will be condemned."

Jesus said in Matthew 25:40-"And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'"
kerrig
kerrig

Back to top Go down

Philippians 4:8 Bible Study Empty Re: Philippians 4:8 Bible Study

Post by Sonshine on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 am

Amen! I do this thing in children's church where we write down what the kids do with their days. We put down how much time they spend doing things like playing video games, watching tv, ect. Then we compare that with how much time they spend praying, reading their Bible or witnessing to others. Really helps us see where we fall short with how we manage our time and what we have allowed to become important in our lives.

Proverbs 28:19[b]
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Very good Kerrig. Thank God He can help us in the areas where we would be a failure. His Spirit within us can lead and guide us in our thoughts and actions so that they are always Christlike and pleasing to Him. Some very good thoughts in this post. Thank you for the post.

My prayer is, "Lord, help me to be more like the Master in thought and deed so that I might please the One who died, so that I might live. Amen."
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum