Christian Homesteaders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» The Beast Revelation
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyMon Jun 11, 2018 2:24 am by michae1

» Facebook page
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 am by dizzy

» Hilarious video A little garden fun by the cowboy poet Baxter Black
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyFri Jun 17, 2016 12:54 am by mountainmama

» An Insurrection Coming
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 am by 12acrehome

» Patrice's Patch Garden Journal
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:47 am by PATRICE IN IL

» lambs and ewes
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyWed Mar 23, 2016 11:46 pm by Farmfresh

» Irish Cuisine Class/Demonstration Recipes
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyMon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am by PATRICE IN IL

» Prayer request for my dh's aunt
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyFri Mar 04, 2016 8:55 pm by PATRICE IN IL

» How has your day been and what's for dinner...................
People who buy animals "for Easter" EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 am by PATRICE IN IL

Keywords

recipes  Taco  Sloppy  Seasoning  

Affiliates
free forum

Top posting users this week
No user

People who buy animals "for Easter"

+5
backtotheland
Rohn
12acrehome
Sonshine
PlainFolk
9 posters

Go down

People who buy animals "for Easter" Empty People who buy animals "for Easter"

Post by PlainFolk Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:38 am

I had a young woman show up at my door this evening because she said, "I noticed you raise chickens." Well, yes I do. She goes on to tell me that she has 3 baby chicks - she did have 4 but one died, "I have no idea why" - and would I please take them. I go to see 3 chicks about a week and a half old who have not been fed, "I tried to feed them worms..." did not have water - they were drinking the pee/poop in the plastic bin they were housed in. No heat source and no bedding at all so they may end up being spraddle legged, if they survive at all. I wanted to add a few new ones to my flock but not like this. But what could I do? I knew if I didn't take them they would die a miserable death and I won't do that to any animal.

I've got them out in my building under a heat lamp with chick feed and grit as well as medicated water. Their crops are horribly swollen so I'm also giving them acv and olive oil and massaging their crops to try and help them go down. For all the trauma they've had they are active and not showing signs of pneumonia (yet) so that is a good sign. We'll have to see how they are in the morning.

If they survive and any (or all) of them end up being roos - I'll simply have to raise them for the freezer as I don't want or need more roos. But regardless, they will be treated right while they live. I believe even meat animals deserve to feel the sun on their faces and grass under their feet. If any turn out to be hens, all the better for me.

But people who get animals and have no idea how to care for them or even keep them alive and have no interest in learning....it's just not right.
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

People who buy animals "for Easter" Empty Re: People who buy animals "for Easter"

Post by Sonshine Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:52 am

We run into the issue of people getting baby chicks and ducks for Easter and when they get past the fuzzy stage ask us if we'll taken them. Even had one lady ask before she got them if we could take them when they start to grow. I'm like, why are you getting them? They aren't toys.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

https://christianhomesteader.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

People who buy animals "for Easter" Empty Re: People who buy animals "for Easter"

Post by PlainFolk Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:55 am

Honestly, anyone who raises chickens knows that when they get to be about 5 weeks old, they lose their "cute." I just don't know what people are thinking when they get these animals! I know a lot of people will dump baby ducks at rivers and lakes thinking that because it's a duck it just somehow "knows" how to survive. Poor things usually don't last more than 15 minutes before a turtle or bullfrog eats them. They just don't get it.
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Sad but true. Sonshine has asked me about adding livestock to our place, and I always reply with someday, not now, etc. We have 5 dogs, and 3 cats. All but one dog is a rescue animal. We work with the local humane society to get homes for as many wayward pets as we can, and we sponsor special needs or "unadoptable" pets. Our most recent addition is Tigger. He is about 18 mos to 2 yrs old. He was taken to a local shelter with a severely broken back leg (in December of 2011) It wasn't until February of 2012 that we were notified. He was going lame, and "the clock was ticking". The shelter looked at our credentials and waved all fees. When we got him to our vet it was too late to save his leg. But do not feel sorry for this one

People who buy animals "for Easter" 401827735

people who throw away pets when they tire of them, or abuse animals make me sick
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by PlainFolk Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 pm

As of this morning all are still alive and well. Their crops look a little bit better than last night, but still a ways to go on that. I'm going to keep medicating them and working on them. We shall see.

Last edited by PlainFolk on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
PlainFolk
PlainFolk

Back to top Go down

Post by 12acrehome Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:08 pm

good job (so far so good)
12acrehome
12acrehome
Admin

https://www.facebook.com/keith.skaggs.9

Back to top Go down

Post by Rohn Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:18 am

Sounds like there still hope for them. I'll bet they are glad to have someone who cares about them and knows how to help them.
Rohn
Rohn

Back to top Go down

Post by backtotheland Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:03 am

I must say that is one thing I have never done, gotten the kids livestock because they were cute. Now I would for my dear grandchildren but only because the animals could be kept here on my little farm.

God certainly blessed those little birds when he led that woman to you PlainFolk. Keep us posted on them please.

backtotheland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 am

Keith, thank you for what you are doing for those animals.

PlainFolk, I'm so glad those chicks have you to tend to them.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RebelDigger Sun May 06, 2012 12:50 pm

12acrehome wrote:Sad but true. Sonshine has asked me about adding livestock to our place, and I always reply with someday, not now, etc. We have 5 dogs, and 3 cats. All but one dog is a rescue animal. We work with the local humane society to get homes for as many wayward pets as we can, and we sponsor special needs or "unadoptable" pets. Our most recent addition is Tigger. He is about 18 mos to 2 yrs old. He was taken to a local shelter with a severely broken back leg (in December of 2011) It wasn't until February of 2012 that we were notified. He was going lame, and "the clock was ticking". The shelter looked at our credentials and waved all fees. When we got him to our vet it was too late to save his leg. But do not feel sorry for this one

People who buy animals "for Easter" 401827735

people who throw away pets when they tire of them, or abuse animals make me sick

Your Tigger looks just like my Tigger. Mine was born in the closet under the staircase in our previous home. I held him in my hand when he was minutes old. He is an older fella now at 6 years and part of the family. I too, cannot abide animals being mistreated. Good for you for what you do!

RebelDigger

http://www.etsy.com/shop/alliestrunk?ref=si_shop

Back to top Go down

Post by Harvey_Birdman Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:43 pm

I never understood why people bought chicks/bunnies/ducks for Easter anyway. It just seems stupid to me for anyone to to think of an animal as a toy, or as having anyting to do with th ressurection at all.

It also makes me wonder the heart of the people who are selling them these critters so they can just kill them. They don't even think to tell them what to feed them? That is just GREED! things like this just add to the question "What has the world come to?"

God bless,
Chad

Rant over!
Harvey_Birdman
Harvey_Birdman

http://homesteadingpreacherman.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Farmfresh Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:52 am

We had a person in our area that was on Craigslist offering "Rent-a-Chick" kits at Easter time. Actually it was not too bad of an idea.

The "kit" came with heat lamp, thermometer, proper bedding, proper food and (I think) three chicks. When the renter came to pick up the kit they were given care instructions and even took home a care sheet.

Rental was not cheap and basically covered all costs plus a profit margin, but when the people were finished they were allowed to return the kit and chicks to the farmer. If all was well and the chicks were healthy I think they got a small deposit back. All the chicks rented were roosters, so when they came back they became meat birds.

It is not a perfect solution, but it is better than the disposable Easter chick.
Farmfresh
Farmfresh

http://www.uBuilderPlans.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dizzy Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:17 am

I remember seeing something like that around here as well. I think they also had bunnies.

dizzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonshine Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I had never heard of renting chickens before, but I guess it would help the sellers. Let someone else worry about the baby care. I may have to try something like that the next time someone wants me to take the chicks after they loose their cuteness.
Sonshine
Sonshine
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down